Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Chick View Post
Can anyone identify these rims for me?
Those look similar to the Moda MD1s I have for sale. Mine are 18s, those are at least 19s.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/78231-18-moda-wheels.html

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #22
Damn Yankee

Garage
Hey Chick,

After perusing your posts and seeing the progress you've accomplished with your Box, may I suggest just driving it for a while? Maybe a long while, as that's what they're built for; raw analog driving.

Take it on some backroads with a high "pucker" factor. That may make you feel more alive and provide more satisfaction than some fancy "mods".

Just sayin'..........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Hey Chick,

After perusing your posts and seeing the progress you've accomplished with your Box, may I suggest just driving it for a while? Maybe a long while, as that's what they're built for; raw analog driving.

Take it on some backroads with a high "pucker" factor. That may make you feel more alive and provide more satisfaction than some fancy "mods".

Just sayin'..........

TO
BOOM! That's what it's all about! T.O. nailed it! I can't wait 'till the snow melts so I can get mine out.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas/Hannukah/Festivus/Whichever Holiday you celebrate and here's wishing a MUCH better 2021 to all!
Old 12-26-2020, 05:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Hey Chick,

Just sayin'..........

TO
Drove her up and back down the Mt. Baldy road yesterday. Had a blast. Encountered three other Porsches on the road and traveled with them for a while, until they stopped in a village.

Will probably drive a bit of the Pacific Coast Highway today.

So, advice taken.
986Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #25
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Will probably drive a bit of the Pacific Coast Highway today.
The PCH is an AWESOME drive! I'm jealous you live so close.

Just sayin'........

TO

Last edited by TeamOxford; 12-26-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #26

Since I have one of the most upgraded Boxsters 986 in the world here is what I would recommend

If you are on a budget
Spacers (get those wheels to fill the arches)
Short shift kit ebay, dirt cheap and sooo much better than OEM.. albeiti a bit more work when car is cold.****
Cheapest sport exhaust you can find on ebay/Amazone, if it is too loud, fit Db killer in rear pipes..
Cheapestt bluetooth hifi you can find
De snorkel
and you are good to go..

if you have some extra cash
then
new coils
Coilovers
18" rims
Good tyres
Better exhaust
Sport cats
Updated hood with glass rear window..
updated front and rear lights..

if any cash left
New fly wheel and clutch, plus IMS bearing and rear main seal
upgraded brakes
new brake lines/steel
Swaybars front and rear
new motor mounts and gearbox mounts, as you car is 20 years plus, and the ones that you have are most likely worn or soon dead..
Steering wheel hub extender
Better sport seats
List can continue, but I do not think that there is enough space here on the forum

Good luck

Last edited by 72StormDk; 12-27-2020 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling
72StormDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72StormDk View Post
Since I have one of the most upgraded Boxsters 986 in the world here is what I would recommend

If you are on a budget
Spacers (get those wheels**** to fill the arches)****
Short shift kit ebay, dirt cheap and sooo much better than OEM.. albeiti a bit more work when car is cold.****
Cheapest sport exhaust you can find on ebay/Amazone, if it is too loud, fit Db killer in rear pipes..****
Cheapestt bluetooth hifi you can find********De snorkel
and you are good to go..

then
new coils****Coilovers
18" rims
Good tyres
Better exhaust
Sport cats
Updated hood with glass rear window..****
updated front and rear lights..****

if any cash left
upgraded brakes
new brake lines/steel
Swaybars front and rear
new motor mounts and gearbox mounts, as you car is 20 years plus, and the ones that you have are most likely worn or soon dead..****
Better sport seats
List can continue, but I do not think that there is enough space here on the forum ****

Good luck
What are all the asterisks for?

Already have a bluetooth/nav/backup camera/Sirius hifi head unit.
Already de-snorkeled her.
Already have a top with glass rear window and defroster.
Already replaced clutch and IMS bearings.

I would love to put 19" rims on Mrs. Peel, but I'm concerned that the low profile tires would make the ride far too harsh. I can already feel every leaf and piece of paper we run over. LOL. Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts about doing this on a 986?

Last edited by 986Chick; 12-27-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #28

The asterisks are where the server blocks out the names of competitors to Pelican Parts who owns this website.

Don't go with 19's. Way too harsh a ride. You'll regret doing it.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #29

Bumper Plugs painted Bumperettes. Later tail lights. Clear side lights. Mods to allow top operation while moving etc. Litronics. Third radiator. Later front bumper. Pedro's muffler bypass. Door sill protectors. AGM battery. Glass rear window top. Redo calipers.

All are common. Heck, I could spend $40k for you really easily.

Your car, your choice.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:48 PM   #30

Quote:
What are all the asterisks for?

I would love to put 19" rims on Mrs. Peel, but I'm concerned that the low profile tires would make the ride far too harsh. I can already feel every leaf and piece of paper we run over. LOL. Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts about doing this on a 986?
I have 19" , cant really say that the ride is much harsher...

And forgot to mention, the hack to make you hood operate while driving.. free and easy..
Old 12-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #31
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:

The taller the wheel and lower the tire profile, the rougher the ride will be. Plus, a larger wheel with a low profile tire is more suspectible to being damaged after a "disagreement" with a curb. Or any immovable object, for that matter.

Just sayin'...........

TO
Old 12-30-2020, 05:25 AM   #32

Garage
My list for my 99:
Replaced 4 spoke steering wheel with a 3 spoke unit.
Replaced guage cluster with a 996 unit.
Wired up the trip computer.
replaced speakers with aftermarket units and added 6 speakers to rear shelf so now have 10 speakers along with adding a 996 cabrio factory amp and aftermarket DD stereo, of course I seldom turn it on.
Replaced muffler with an aftermarket unit.
Replaced springs with lowering units and Bilstein sport shocks along with replacing all suspension components.
added S center radiator along with a 996 bumper.
Replaced rear bumper and side vents with 03-04 units. Got rid of the bumperettes while I was at it.
Replaced wheels with factory 2 piece BBS 18inch units.

BTW love the personalized floor mats!!
Old 12-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72StormDk View Post

That is highly debatable !

If you are on a budget
Spacers (get those wheels to fill the arches)
Cheapest sport exhaust you can find on ebay/Amazone, if it is too loud, fit Db killer in rear pipes..
Cheapestt bluetooth hifi you can find
De snorkel
and you are good to go..

then
new coils
Coilovers
18" rims
Good tyres
Better exhaust
Sport cats
Updated hood with glass rear window..
updated front and rear lights..

if any cash left
upgraded brakes
new brake lines/steel
Swaybars front and rear
new motor mounts and gearbox mounts, as you car is 20 years plus, and the ones that you have are most likely worn or soon dead..
Better sport seats
List can continue, but I do not think that there is enough space here on the forum

Good luck

10 character minimum
Old 12-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
My list for my 99:
Replaced 4 spoke steering wheel with a 3 spoke unit.
Replaced guage cluster with a 996 unit.
Wired up the trip computer.
replaced speakers with aftermarket units and added 6 speakers to rear shelf so now have 10 speakers along with adding a 996 cabrio factory amp and aftermarket DD stereo, of course I seldom turn it on.
Replaced muffler with an aftermarket unit.
Replaced springs with lowering units and Bilstein sport shocks along with replacing all suspension components.
added S center radiator along with a 996 bumper.
Replaced rear bumper and side vents with 03-04 units. Got rid of the bumperettes while I was at it.
Replaced wheels with factory 2 piece BBS 18inch units.

BTW love the personalized floor mats!!
The photo is very tiny, but it also looks like you have the double-hump rear deck of the Spyder. Did you do that too?

I'm very interested in getting the 3-spoke steering wheel, but boy does that seem expensive for a minimal cosmetic upgrade. Is there a deal on those anywhere?

I'd also love to do the 996 instrument cluster. That seems like it would be ridiculously expensive too, though I haven't searched that yet. Do you have a source? Or do you just try to find someone selling a used one? I don't like buying used parts because you never know what you're going to get.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #35

eBay is your friend for everything. You'll find 3 spoke steering wheels and airbags, Speedster humps, light upgrades. Anything you're looking for.

Don't buy anything like this new from the dealer. You'll go broke!
Old 12-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #36

Quote:
I'd also love to do the 996 instrument cluster. That seems like it would be ridiculously expensive too, though I haven't searched that yet. Do you have a source? Or do you just try to find someone selling a used one? I don't like buying used parts because you never know what you're going to get.
I upgraded to the 996 cluster relatively inexpensively. You can read the story here:

http://http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43017-carrera-gauge-swap.html

You are correct that buying used parts can be risky. I paid very little for my damaged 996 cluster and made it work with the help of folks on this forum. In retrospect I thoroughly enjoyed the project, but there were a few issues that made me think I might have wasted my money. Pelican (the sponsor of this forum) sells new 996 clusters for around $2500. http://https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/90-ELEC-996_Cluster/90-ELEC-996_Cluster.htm

I don’t think using a new cluster will be a viable option for most of us.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:40 AM   #37

"Since I have one of the most upgraded Boxsters 986 in the world here is what I would recommend"

That is highly debatable !

I am sure it is not .. As I am very aware that there are many many more that are more updated/modded than mine... so comment should be taken with a grain of salt..

Current
986 w 3.6l
F10 535i
Megane RS Cup RB08 track car
Polo Cup 1.8T race car
Audi R8 V8

Previous. 996, 997. 987 S, 987 Cayman R, 944, E36 M5, E46 M3, Ferrari 458, Vantage V8, XKR, and many many more...

Last edited by 72StormDk; 12-31-2020 at 02:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2020, 02:57 AM   #38
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Basically EVERYTHING can be modded and exchanged..."whistles innocently"

YEP...that is a GTR style gear indicator on the left...basically EVERYTHING in the picture was somehow modified...
Old 12-31-2020, 04:25 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
YEP...that is a GTR style gear indicator on the left...
Where can I find information on the gear indicator? (Of course, I would never think of making any modifications to my car.)

By the way, I think that is the first picture I've ever seen of the wood-trimmed speaker mounts. They must be rare. I've picked up a few wood-trimmed pieces over the years:

The wood trim around the gauge cluster is difficult to see while I'm driving and I forget that it is there. The material seems fragile. I've had to repair the trim on my emergency brake and I'd like to find a piece in better condition.
Attached Images

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #40
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Where can I find information on the gear indicator? (Of course, I would never think of making any modifications to my car.)

By the way, I think that is the first picture I've ever seen of the wood-trimmed speaker mounts. They must be rare. I've picked up a few wood-trimmed pieces over the years:

The wood trim around the gauge cluster is difficult to see while I'm driving and I forget that it is there. The material seems fragile. I've had to repair the trim on my emergency brake and I'd like to find a piece in better condition.
It is made by a German company.
INDY-CATOR
And of course, the indicator was highly modified by me...with a BESPOKE (did i just use that word instead of "customized" ) magnetic holder, so I can access that dash screw behind it.
We have the same shifter knob btw...love it. I modified mine with a cocoa OEM leather sack and alu trim. Wood trim is just beautiful IMO, even if it brakes. I call it patina.

Last edited by BRAN; 12-31-2020 at 11:53 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote