986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pull engine (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78839)

gabedrummin 09-29-2020 01:05 PM

Pull engine

I need to remove my engine to fix the cracked heads .I wont be able to do it in the shop .Have to work in the drive way . Once the engine is unplugged from the DME the top dose not go up and down .How can I power the top with the DME unplugged . I cant do all this work in one day and want to be able to open and close the top . Not interested in making it a manual top . Was wondering if some could tell me had to power it .without the DME connected if it is possible ? Thanks

itsnotanova 09-29-2020 01:52 PM

95% sure the dme or immobilizer does not control the top. It's been a few years since I've done such a thing though

dghii 09-29-2020 05:05 PM

If push comes to shove, you can always disconnect your tops pivot arms and move the top manually. Its not tough, just disconnect the ball joints on each side for the top and the clamshell.

r

gabedrummin 09-29-2020 05:58 PM

I've seen a video of them being removed . its it possible to get them back on ..?

MrBen 09-29-2020 07:12 PM

It’s easy to get them back on. If you can pull your engine in the driveway I’m willing to bet you can get those arms off and on. It’s what they are designed to do

Homeoboxter 09-29-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 625046)
95% sure the dme or immobilizer does not control the top. It's been a few years since I've done such a thing though

Agreed. DME has nothing to do with top operation. My car has been with the engine out for two years, top still works, just tried. I disconnected the linkage partially for the fifth bow and the tonneau cover so I can pull it aside to get better access to the engine. It`s easy to put them back on, just make pictures of where the arms were connected to.

BYprodriver 09-30-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabedrummin (Post 625045)
I need to remove my engine to fix the cracked heads .I wont be able to do it in the shop .Have to work in the drive way . Once the engine is unplugged from the DME the top dose not go up and down .How can I power the top with the DME unplugged . I cant do all this work in one day and want to be able to open and close the top . Not interested in making it a manual top . Was wondering if some could tell me had to power it .without the DME connected if it is possible ? Thanks

I assume you are removing the engine thru the bottom?

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1601480631.jpg

gabedrummin 09-30-2020 09:11 AM

Yes out the bottom .And I tried AGAIN .disconnecting all the plugs that have to go through the trunk firewall WHERE THEY CONNECT TO THE DME.and the two connectors next to the DME with these off no top action .plug them all in and the top works . There is also a large black and a large white connector next to the DME maybe thats the problem .But its all connected to one harness it all has to go through the trunk wall ???

Homeoboxter 09-30-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabedrummin (Post 625083)
Yes out the bottom .And I tried AGAIN .disconnecting all the plugs that have to go through the trunk firewall WHERE THEY CONNECT TO THE DME.and the two connectors next to the DME with these off no top action .plug them all in and the top works . There is also a large black and a large white connector next to the DME maybe thats the problem .But its all connected to one harness it all has to go through the trunk wall ???

Weird. In mine the harness was completely disconnected for two years and the top was still working. Everything that goes through the firewall inside the big gromet. The other day I spent about an hour finding out I had to pull the handbrake to activate the top.. I guess it`s not related to your case..

gabedrummin 09-30-2020 01:19 PM

My hand brake is pulled up position .

Homeoboxter 09-30-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabedrummin (Post 625094)
My hand brake is pulled up position .

Mine is a 1999, what year is yours? Just wondering if the wiring is different based on the year. In my SAAB convertible the top is not operable over certain speed. Maybe yours have a similar system and needs the speed signal from the DME?

Anyways, I`d just disconnect the linkage and move the fifth bow manually if you wish to have more room. You can reconnect everything back on.