986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Orbital Polishers (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7882)

NickCats 10-23-2006 05:43 PM

Orbital Polishers

Perfectlap, help !!!

I just got a orbital polisher at a wedding shower for my fiance and I ( 3 more weeks to go :eek: )

I was wondering if this is a decent unit ?

VECTOR VEC237 10Waxx Pro Kit Orbital Polisher

Also, a tin of Meguiar's Clear Coat Paste Car Wax.

Is this stuff any good ? I am a Zaino guy and weary of switching brands...

Thanks in advance !

Nick

KevinH1990 10-23-2006 05:49 PM

I have a Porter Cable random orbit polisher. I think most folks who are serious about detailing their cars favor the Porter Cable.

Take a look at a Porter Cable (I think Lowe's sell them) and compare it to the polisher you have. I imagine the Porter Cable will seem like a more solid tool. Also, make sure the machine is a "random" orbital model. This helps prevent swirl marks.

Perfectlap 10-23-2006 06:00 PM

ha! that was my first buffer I'm sure they picked up at an auto store or in the auto section of a department store. ZERO torque, you won't be removing any swirls with it but its good for keeping your wrist from falling off when you lay a topper over your sealant. I'd politely ask if they could give you the receipt for a different model or some other detailing products that will surely come in hand with a high maintenance color like black. Either way with that color you're going to need a Porter Cable orbital polisher. They sell them at Lowe's for about $120 but you'll need to order a flexible backing plate with the velcro polishing and buffing pads. Bangs out swirls in what would take 8 hours by hand. DetailCity.com has a monthly newsletter that's good for 10% discount, comes in handy when you drop some dinero on the PC and a "PC pad kit".

The wax is good stuff, the top of the Meguiar's line. I used it on black a few times. But like most meguiar's waxes it leaves a bit of messy dried up residue since its not as concentrated as Zaino or Poorboys Natty's Blue. I think Mother's and Meguairs dilute all their products to cut down on mishaps by novices. (another reason why I doubt they will ever sell a rinseless car wash). Detailing products in the wrong hands can do 8 years worth of damage in one hour!

Might save you some time to tape up the gaps in your body work with blue/red painters tape. Keep the flying wax bits from getting behind the all thos crevices which can be a real PITA get out.
With Black paint 90% of over the counter waxes will do a good job. I defy the average car enthusiast to distinguish between the top of the Meguiar's Line or the more well known boutique brands.

p.s.
Congrats on getting married.

NickCats 10-23-2006 06:15 PM

Perfectlap,

Thanks ! They were nice enough to tape the receipt to the bottom of the box, so I think I will take your ( and Kevin's ) advice and bring it back and start shopping for the Porter...

Should I give the Meguiar's a try when I run out of Zaino or bring that back as well ?

I hear that Zaino doesn't play well with other car care products ?

Thanks for the congrats as well :o

Nick

Perfectlap 10-23-2006 06:28 PM

Yeah I would take take the wax back too. If it were any other color I would say def give it a shot. Gold Class will do a great job on Black as I said before, but the color isn't a good testing ground for experimenting with different brands when Zaino is in the mix. If a product is fussy the color won't hide it like silver or white. Stick with the Zaino and maybe buy some clay bar or some of the meguiar's Gold Class brushes like the ones for the wheel face, tire and carpet. Excellent stuff, I have all but the body paint ones (brushes on paint! :confused: )

MNBoxster 10-23-2006 10:23 PM

Hi,

I'm increasingly hearing excellent things about the Griot's Random Orbital from several trusted sources. Griot's used to sell the PC, but spec'd their own which many have said is superior to the PC.

From their Website: http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=10925

Not all random orbitals are the same

The Griot's Garage Random Orbital spins at higher orbits per minute, has a smaller polishing pattern, a rheostat speed dial for polishing and waxing speeds between 4,000 and 7,000 orbits per minute, an internal fan to cool off the backing plate (thus, no heat build-up in our pad, or on your paint), a higher torque motor to eliminate stalling, an ergonomic top handle, and an easy-to-reach side on/off switch, plus your hands will enjoy much less vibration from the orbital! Enjoy the best!

My buddy with the '65 Ferrari 255GTS and '68 Fiat Dino got one last month and raves about it. He had previously used the PC. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Perfectlap 10-24-2006 06:55 AM

yeah that does look tasty. The only thing I don't like about the PC is that it shakes so much at higher speeds. You really have to hold on when doing the verticals. I tried different coutnerweights and it vibrates like nuts. I still wouldn't give it up, a local detail shop wants $120 just to do a once over "compound".