986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   If you bought a 20 year old Boxster, what would you do first? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78612)

rockytriton 08-29-2020 07:39 PM

If you bought a 20 year old Boxster, what would you do first?

It's a 2000 Boxster S, it only has 16,000 miles on it. It's automatic (I don't know how to drive manual :( ) Paint and top are in perfect shape, so I'm guessing it sat in someone's garage for most of that 20 years.

I bought it from a Lexus dealer, so I don't know the original owner. They did provide a Carfax report which stated there were 2 owners, no accidents or anything and no outstanding recalls.

Since it only has 16k miles, I'm guessing the IMS bearing was never replaced. On a scale of 1 to 10, how concerned about that should I be? And what would you do first if you bought a car of this age and low milage? I don't have any log of the services done to it either.

elgyqc 08-29-2020 08:01 PM

Change the oil and take the old filter apart to see if there are any particles visible. Check all the fluids and the air filter. Have a diagnostic test done. Perhaps check the cylinders with a borescope. I would then drive it for awhile to see if there is anything obvious, then I would change all the other fluids and bring all maintenance items up to date as in a major service. The service schedule is available online.
I am one of those that thinks the IMSB problem has been exaggerated. I'm sure you will get several responses saying that the IMSB is the first thing to do.

Rickvd 08-29-2020 08:03 PM

I bought an 04s automatic with 29k miles on it with an unknown maintenance history. In 3 years of ownership currently at 42k miles. I have did the 60k maintenance at 30k miles. Replaced the transmission fluid and this year replaced the water pump as there were signs of webpage. The ims has not been replaced. I routinely monitor the cam deviations lookin at how stable the readings are and have not noticed any indications to be concerned about. I would recommend a good inspection by a Porsche dealer or independent, change oil and filter, probably change the transmitting fluid. Make sure you check the tires as they might be weak do to age. Get a duramitic tool and maybe consider changing the plugs. But it sounds like you got a great deal. Have fun and out some miles on it.

Qingdao 08-29-2020 08:12 PM

Rubber ages, metal wears.

So seals, tires, gaskets, bushings yada yada are all susceptible to age regardless of mileage.

Metal parts don't particularly age, but they do get worn/bent with mileage and driving.

As for the IMS; I personally wouldn't give it a thought. Its a metal ball bearing; although it does have a plastic sleeve around it I don't think that plastic has deteriorated inside a non-used engine that hasn't heat cycled.

78F350 08-29-2020 08:22 PM

Check the date on the tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&

Fresh oil and check the filter: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/02-BASICS-Oil_Change/02-BASICS-Oil_Change.htm

Replace the water pump unless it has been done in the last 5 years: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump.htm

Then drive it, drive it, drive it, and maintain it. I'd plan to service the transmission and replace the IMS bearing within the next few years, but not urgently.

:cheers:

tonythetiger 08-30-2020 09:51 AM

Good news is it is double row bearing, very low failure rate. I wouldn’t touch it if it were mine. Suspension probably needs attention because it is what it is. Wrenching yourself, you can get it done for about 1200 bucks and it’s easy, technically, just need to pay attention and need a big breaker bar for some of the fasteners.
I would flush brake fluid and power steering fluid, new coolant and oil. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikefocke 08-30-2020 10:20 AM

1. Examine the date on the tires. They protect you and yours. 5+ years = replace.

2. Change the oil, brake fluid flush and fill, trans fluid drain and fill. Battery load test. Belt. Anti-freeze. Service brake calipers. Inspect cabin and intake filter.

3. When I bought mine, I had the 90k service done which includes most of number 2 above. Why 90k? Because it was the most comprehensive.

4. Better than all of the above, find a great P-car mechanic and let him tell you what needs to be done. I had a PPI done and that was my guide.

In addition to the 90k, I had the brakes (rotors and pads) all around, an alignment and 4 tires. Cost me $2,600 or so. I was trouble free for the next 5 years maybe lucky or maybe because I was proactive.

dav9515 09-02-2020 10:43 AM

not sure about your area but where i am if a dealership sells you a car regardless of age they have to provide a 60 day warranty on drivetrain. If yours has a similar requirement than i say do nothing, drive it as much as you can in the warranty period to see what shakes out and have the dealership pony up for anything that comes out of that. May be able to get some work done on the dealers dime, best case the car runs perfect and you can elect to keep an eye on things as opposed to spending a ton of money on things that "might need" attention.

gabedrummin 09-02-2020 03:38 PM

POUR all your money down the drain,,,,!

Cunningr 09-02-2020 03:57 PM

+1 on Mikes list, tires first

morgal48 09-03-2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonythetiger (Post 623444)
Good news is it is double row bearing, very low failure rate. I wouldn’t touch it if it were mine. Suspension probably needs attention because it is what it is. Wrenching yourself, you can get it done for about 1200 bucks and it’s easy, technically, just need to pay attention and need a big breaker bar for some of the fasteners.
I would flush brake fluid and power steering fluid, new coolant and oil. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2000S had a single row IMS. Replaced that, preventable maintenance, with a double row 7 years ago. Original, in my workbench looks perfect. Does anybody really know when they switched, by VIN? Methinks not even Porsche can answer that.

BYprodriver 09-03-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgyqc (Post 623423)
Change the oil and take the old filter apart to see if there are any particles visible. Check all the fluids and the air filter. Have a diagnostic test done. Perhaps check the cylinders with a borescope. I would then drive it for awhile to see if there is anything obvious, then I would change all the other fluids and bring all maintenance items up to date as in a major service. The service schedule is available online.
I am one of those that thinks the IMSB problem has been exaggerated. I'm sure you will get several responses saying that the IMSB is the first thing to do.

I agree with all of this except Send the old oil to have it anailzed.

Zzorro 09-03-2020 11:12 AM

+1 on brake fluid. My car sat for years before I bought it and I should have changed it. Didn't and had a close call. Bad move on my part. Just get it done.

jonogt6 09-05-2020 08:16 AM

I'd only replace the tyres, brake fluid and oil. Drive it steady at first and allow things to get used to moving again and you should be fine.

Rob175 09-06-2020 09:15 AM

I own a 22 year old 98' Boxster (5 spd) with 89,000 miles. I've owned it for 15 yrs. The only things I've ever done is to replace a leaking coolant tank and replaced the water pump. Of course I've changed air filters and cabin filters, yearly oil changes with Mobile 1 High Mileage and other general maintenance......but that's all. It's my 4,000 mile per year summer sunny day car and gets put away in the winter.

Of course I could replace or upgrade the suspension, replace all the (working) coils, proactively replace the IMS and at least $5,000+ other stuff.......but I'm not! I just don't see the need for it. If parts fail I will fix them as needed, otherwise I just drive, drive, drive and enjoy it.

From a financial point, the car is in "mint" exterior/interior shape but still worth only about $8,000 maximum on a good day. I just can't justify dropping a ton of money to "make it newer".....I'd rather put that money towards a newer one someday. Maybe even a NEW one!