986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Should I buy a 1999 Boxter? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78397)

mungodrums 08-03-2020 07:41 PM

Should I buy a 1999 Boxter?

Hello Guys & Gals,

I live in Sacramento Ca. I have been looking for a well kept / serviced 986 boxter tip. Yeah, tip. Have bad right knee. I have looked at many within a reasonable distance. Good shape physically and low to mid level miles. Yeah, forums recommend PPI. Well, both private parties and dealers don't want for car to have PPI. Geez. Frustrating. So I looked online to see what is out there. I came across a shop that is in Florida that has certified Porsche mechanics and also they go through cars and sell them also. Car I am looking at is a 99 base boxter with 76,000 miles on it, one owner car with tip. Car has had the following:
1.Brand new Michelin cup tires all around.
2.Recent oil change.
3.New engine mount.
4.New convertible top with glass window.
4.58,000, new drive belt installed.
Recent had 34 point inspection, no oil leak, water leaks, drive belt checked, etc. Would like to mention shop name but don't want to break forum rules. Shop has great reviews all around.
I put a $500.00 refundable deposit on it. Waiting for my check from car insurance due to total lose of my 87 vette. Should I do it? Read Pelican parts forum, getting scared, nervous with all these boxter issues. Help me make a good decision. Ger. :o

qstoria 08-03-2020 07:58 PM

I am going to say yes. As in yes you should buy a '99 Boxster.

Exactly which '99 Boxster though..? That is harder to answer but the one you describe sounds good on paper.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

78F350 08-03-2020 08:36 PM

Yes. For a 20+ year old car, I think that a 1999 986 is a great buy. That said, each car will have it's own history and potential issues.
If you don't plan to renovate the car yourself, buying from a reputable shop or seller who was caring and knowledgeable can make a big difference. One consideration with the Tiptronic transmission to ensure it's longevity is to make sure that it is serviced - the 'Lifetime transmission fluid' should be changed periodically, but I'm not an expert on the interval. I have seen recommendations vary from 50k miles to 100k miles. See what the shop (seller) recommends.

mikesz 08-04-2020 03:44 AM

I have had mine for almost 7 years, its a tip.

RedTele58 08-04-2020 04:58 AM

'99 is a great year. I have 5 of them. :D

Early enough to have the better IMS bearing, late enough to have the production bugs sorted on them.

It sounds like a good example. Don't get wrapped up in forum hype about what can go wrong or why someone doesn't like them, or an S model is better (I have two of them, they're not) or a tip transmission isn't cool.

For every whiny story you read about the 986, I'll give you three positive ones back.

Two weeks ago I pulled one of my '99s out of the shop where it's been sitting covered in dust (ask Jon - 78F350, about the dust. :eek:). I washed it, checked the fluid and tires, filled it with gas and took off on a 1,500 mile round trip to Colorado for a week. It never even thought about skipping a beat.

When you get it, maintain it, take care of it, don't be afraid to drive it hard once in awhile and enjoy your new Boxster! :dance:

BTW - my 996? It's a '99 too! :D

JayG 08-04-2020 05:42 AM

I'm curious why they would put Michelin Cup tires on. They are really good tire for the track. Much better choices for the street.

And you can mention the shop name.

Don't forget to add in the cost to transport the car from Florida to CA

mikefocke 08-04-2020 12:43 PM

That sounds like a decent car. Owned a '99 and wonderful until my inattentive driving totaled it. Tip too.

Hunt around for local shops that service Porsches. See if they know any cars that they are familiar with that are for sale. In my day there were notes posted on the shop walls with ads for cars for sale.

People post on a forum when they have trouble, but seldom when nothing is wrong. I frequent several model/brand specific forums and you'd never buy if that was all you knew about them.

986Chick 08-04-2020 05:25 PM

I recently bought a '99 and I couldn't be happier. Most fun car I've ever owned, and I, too, have had Corvettes before ('68, '84, '92, '09). Where the 'vettes are all raw flaming power ("America, f*ck yeah!"), the Boxster is sophisticated and sensual. Compared to the 'vette, the Boxster leaps around corners lightly and effortlessly.

My 21-year old Boxster with 50K miles is still in rock solid shape. Tight. No squeaks or rattles. Feels like an extension of my body. And it has been very reliable so far.

As far as handling, it's superior to any 'vette I've owned. However, I'd prefer a little more under-steer. Steering is very neutral in corners. I like to feel a little more resistance. But that's just preference. It handles like a dream.

Also, I've been surprised how many comments my ol' '99 Boxster gets! People really love how it looks (and so do I).

I'd buy one again.

tonythetiger 08-04-2020 06:32 PM

I didn’t see the price mentioned, this should be well priced, around 8K if it’s nice?

Good car, fun to drive and on the rise as time goes by. These cars are desirable. It needs some stuff if it hasn’t been done and it sounds like you won’t be doing the work yourself? Assuming, but forgive me.

It likely needs suspension work, a 2k -3k investment if you do it smart and have a shop that treats you well. Don’t be scared, but realize it’s old and has some wear/maintenance items that cannot be ignored.

Good news is the year gets you the double row IMS, so one less thing.
Come on in, the water is warm. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

986Chick 08-04-2020 06:49 PM

Yeah, the one thing you can't really preserve on a 21-year old car no matter how low the mileage or how well taken care of is the rubber parts. They simply degrade over time, no matter what.

78F350 08-04-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTele58 (Post 621899)
... Two weeks ago I pulled one of my '99s out of the shop where it's been sitting covered in dust (ask Jon - 78F350, about the dust. :eek:). ...

Serious dust; Initially upon entering Rick's secret Boxster warehouse lair, they looked like they were all the same dull gray color. I've thought about it and realized that covers would probably do more damage than good there. We need to shrink wrap them.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1596605368.jpg

RedTele58 08-05-2020 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78f350 (Post 621978)
serious dust; initially upon entering rick's secret boxster warehouse lair, they looked like they were all the same dull gray color. I've thought about it and realized that covers would probably do more damage than good there. We need to shrink wrap them.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1596605368.jpg

I like that idea!
:cheers:

Gilles 08-05-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986Chick (Post 621965)
However, I'd prefer a little more under-steer. Steering is very neutral in corners. I like to feel a little more resistance. But that's just preference. It handles like a dream.

986Chick, you could bring your car to Torrance, Steve Alarcon's alignment shop that has many years of experience aligning cars (and race cars..) for the POC, and he could dial a little more understeer to make your car a bit less nervous.

Actually Steve rates are equal to any tire shop but they take a little longer as they perform the alignments the old fashion way (no lasers..), however is no fun driving to Torrance..

JayG 08-06-2020 06:32 AM

Interesting, someone asking for more understeer on a 986.
Most want to get rid of it and what you can do is limited by the factory camber limited suspension

Stevenson927 08-06-2020 07:11 PM

I just bought that car. '99 Boxster. 5 speed. Not an S. I was patient and knew what I wanted and finally got it. One owner, 36,000 mi, IMS had ben replaced., black on black.

LOVE IT.

I personally don't need the power of an S. This thing is a monster as is. Not sure if it is more fun to look at, or drive.