Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Chick View Post
Hi. I have a 986 Boxster with the 2.7L engine. While it's a fun car that I bought on a lark one day and am glad I did, I've always had Corvettes before, and the lack of power in the Boxster is frustrating at times. My Ford Expedition has more power.

What can one do to raise the HP without breaking the bank?

I'm not going to go to heroic measures to eek out another 5bhp at the cost of $5,000. But are there things that will make a noticeable difference in oomph without major surgery? I'm told some exhaust solutions can bump up the HP, but is it really noticeable? Feel free to tell me, "It's never going to be a fast car, just enjoy it for what it is." That's what I've been telling myself. But I thought I would ask, just in case. What wisdom do you experts have for this lady with her first Boxster?

Exhaust & Intake improvement is 1st step. You should go to a autocross race to get more comfortable cornering fast.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Chick View Post
That PDS looks interesting. I need something for novice drivers, in an environment that won't shun women. Ima go look for one.
My Mrs. Peel is holding up a little better.
986Chick, in the POC you should feel very comfortable (and welcome) as there are many women that are driving instructors as well, and you will start from the very beginning in a completely safe environment.

Afterwards you will walk away a much safer driver (specially in the rain), give it a try, it is not really expensive and you will have a blast :-)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:03 AM   #43
Seal1968

I drove a 2.5, then a 2.7, then the 3.2 S that I bought. Pricing for S vs non-S isn't much different in my area that I've seen...so bang for my buck, I got an S.

There is a difference with 50 more hp.

To add 50 ponies to a 2.5 or 2.7 would cost you more than what you paid for your car originally. Just price it out...you'll see.

If you want to go blazing fast in a straight, boring way then I suggest buying an old Nova and add a giant V8 and a set of slicks.

Oh, and +1,000,000...go learn how to drive these cars. You won't regret that.
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #44
On the slippery slope

Garage
Where is So Cal are you?
The San Diego PCA is one of the best chapters in the country. Lots of driving and social events. Not to knock POC, but POC is focused on racing where PCA is a mix of HPDE and social.

If we ever get out of COVAD-19, the SDR PCA does one of the best Performance Driving Schools in the country. Its not a racing school, but I guarantee your cheeks will hurt from grinning after the weekend. You will leave the PDS with a much better understanding of car control, handling and capabilities (both yours and the car). Very few other opportunities to spend around 3 hours on a wet skid pad plus 4 other exercises and on the 2nd day around 20-30 autocross laps. The POC PDS is more of an intro to racing
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:41 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
986Chick,

You could also check the awesome POC program, where you would be able to go and learn to properly drive your car in a very safe and controlled environment.

Check out their Performance Driving Series
https://www.porscheclub.com/performance-driving-series/

PS: There are many talented (and competitive..) women in the POC
Another vote for POC. Despite having done the racing schools with Skip Barber Racing School, POC is really where I learned and where I continue to develop my skills. Part of it is just getting more seat time and the frequency of POC events helped with that. I've also had the pleasure of having some really good instructors as well. Registration for POC events are through https://www.motorsportreg.com. The San Diego PCA event sounds great and I'm going to have to get myself to one of those events in the future, too.

Last edited by Andy804; 08-01-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Andy804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #46
Who's askin'?

PCA or POC likely depends on your local region and the individuals involved at the local level. It'd be a shame to get hung-up on one or the other. Check your region and visit both groups. Maybe BOTH of them have something to offer for you?

Last edited by maytag; 08-02-2020 at 08:04 AM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post
I drove a 2.5, then a 2.7, then the 3.2 S that I bought. Pricing for S vs non-S isn't much different in my area that I've seen...so bang for my buck, I got an S.

There is a difference with 50 more hp.

To add 50 ponies to a 2.5 or 2.7 would cost you more than what you paid for your car originally. Just price it out...you'll see.

If you want to go blazing fast in a straight, boring way then I suggest buying an old Nova and add a giant V8 and a set of slicks.

Oh, and +1,000,000...go learn how to drive these cars. You won't regret that.
You can have the best of both worlds. A Boxster is just not the HP freak that some wish it was. Bits not slow, but definitely not the kick in the pants fast. My S6 is plenty fast, and despite being a family sedan kicks butt in the corners as well. Surprisingly so. Coupled with over 560 hp and 620 ft/lbs of torque, it's provides both power and handling. With that said, I find the Boxster every bit as fun to drive, and in some situations even more so. It's just a different kind of performance and a different feel. Both out a giant smile on my face.
Goldenzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #48
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
PCA or POC likely depends on your local region and the individuals involved at the local level. It'd be a shame to get hung-up on one or the other. Check your region and visit both groups. Maybe BOTH of them have something to offer for you?
Yup

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote