Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

First Year Report of a Cheap Boxster!

It has been a full year since I bought a 2001 Porsche Boxster S with over 200,000 miles with a blown motor. Over the past 12 months, I pulled the motor and replaced, dealt with the immobilizer not working, replacing struts, figuring out fuel issues, and so much more. But it runs and drives and what a blast of a car it is now.

Just a little update video on what it took to restore this poor ole cheap Porsche Boxster!

https://youtu.be/ExUr6p7ncWc

Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #2

Cool, but ONLY for those that have the facility to work on it complete with a lift....I don't think a floor jack will fill the bill as they say.....lol. For those that depend of spending money on labor you could double the $6,500 to $13,000 easily.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
A Porsche Guy

Thanks for another video Brian. It's sad to see that because of your health that you shouldn't be driving a manual anymore. This looks like a collection of all your previous ones before you sold the car. Your links to all the previous videos aren't added correctly right in this video. I do share a different view point than yours on the price difference between a base vs a S model. If it was only $1,000 I think most will go with the S.

What you said Rob is a valid point and a point others and I including you maybe take advantage of. While others think Porsche are expensive to maintain, and some are, some of us take advantage with how cheap it really is to maintain by buying parts and doing it ourselves. I know you're trying to point out the real cost for the others who do not do their own work and I hope you up that number by a few thousand more next time so we can get these cars cheaper.

Most of the work do not require a lift at all but there are times you might need one. For those times, there are websites that you can rent a garage with a lift like garagetime and the rates are very reasonable. I don't have space for a lift. I've been trying to convince people I know who do to install one . Some can't all allocate our money into a lift or quick jack either. Whatever the reason is we have options.

Having said that, there are things that you should just have taken care of by a professional .

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-30-2020 at 05:51 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
Cool, but ONLY for those that have the facility to work on it complete with a lift....I don't think a floor jack will fill the bill as they say.....lol. For those that depend of spending money on labor you could double the $6,500 to $13,000 easily.
Brian mentions a number of projects in his videos and its great that he resurrected a car, kudos. I have some comments on his opinion on what a PIA most of the projects were. I find these cars and the work we do on them EASY compared to the stuff I have done on my honda truck or other cars or watched what others go through on other cars. Porsche engineered the car pretty well and also made it maintenance-friendly. Not sure what he encountered on every project he undertook, but he felt it was difficult? I thought he was a mechanic, so the position he has is interesting to me. Professionally, I am the furthest thing from a mechanic, but I can wrench.
I have worked without a lift on all my projects, short of the engine pull, I think I could have pulled that off as well, but a freind offered a lift. I swapped and serviced Trannies, cooling, exhaust, wheel hubs, drive shafts, suspensions everything. It might have been nice on some of the stuff to just toss the car up in the air, but much of the work I did was easier with it close to the ground.
You need at least one low profile long reach floor jack, 2 is better, 4 really good jack stands that extend 25" or so and an extra 15 minutes to raise the car. Have some fun and give it a try. :+)
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #5

I now own this car

It seems I got a really good deal given the amount of labor that went into it. Thank you Brian.

I also just wanted to call out that Brian's a crazy nice guy, to add he also gave me the service manual with the car so that I can also learn to wrench on the Boxster and do some small fixes as well.

- Rachel

yummyporsche is offline   Reply With Quote