Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

Rough Start (Misfire Code)

Lately my Boxster (99' 2,5) have been acting up occasionally during start from cold. It is only now and then. Not every time.

When starting from cold it starts rough. Like its running on 5 cyl. After a little while it throws the CEL. Misfire Cyl3 (P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire) or last time it happened Misfire Cyl2. (P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire). After the rough start, which lasts like 3 - 5 secs, it runs like champ.

Spark plugs are new. AOS new.

What are the likely faults? Coil packs?

993turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
How many miles on the odometer? Were there any cracks in the coil packs?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #3

140000KM. Did not see any obvious cracks. But did not study them for cracks either.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993turbo View Post
Lately my Boxster (99' 2,5) have been acting up occasionally during start from cold. It is only now and then. Not every time.

When starting from cold it starts rough. Like its running on 5 cyl. After a little while it throws the CEL. Misfire Cyl3 (P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire) or last time it happened Misfire Cyl2. (P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire). After the rough start, which lasts like 3 - 5 secs, it runs like champ.

Spark plugs are new. AOS new.

What are the likely faults? Coil packs?
"Lately"? How long have you owned the car?
Old 07-24-2020, 05:15 AM   #5

Garage
Personally I would replace ALL coil packs. Easy job. I was having same issue not sure of the CEL codes I was getting but I bought 2 coil packs that were throwing CEL. They LOOKED fine. I then decided to replace the rest. Left bank cylinders were throwing the CEL right bank was not. When I replaced the right bank coil packs I couldn't believe the cracks in them! While you are in there you may want to replace spark plugs and tubes and seals. Also if you choose to replace tubes I would go with OEM they are more robust than aftermarket ones.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
"Lately"? How long have you owned the car?
Lately like in the last couple of weeks. Had the car for a long time.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
Personally I would replace ALL coil packs. Easy job. I was having same issue not sure of the CEL codes I was getting but I bought 2 coil packs that were throwing CEL. They LOOKED fine. I then decided to replace the rest. Left bank cylinders were throwing the CEL right bank was not. When I replaced the right bank coil packs I couldn't believe the cracks in them! While you are in there you may want to replace spark plugs and tubes and seals. Also if you choose to replace tubes I would go with OEM they are more robust than aftermarket ones.
Sure, easy to do. Coils are about 200 for the Beru set. Just dont like Shot-Gun diagnostics. :-)

Spark plugs are new, so are the tubes and o rings. Did them as part of major service.