986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Starter not engaging after oil measuring feature (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78285)

paulb 07-20-2020 05:43 AM

Starter not engaging after oil measuring feature

2004 S

My start up procedure is different on the Porsche than other cars I’ve had. When you insert the key & turn to the on position it measures the oil & gives a graphic on the dash to show oil levels which takes about 5 seconds. Then you turn the key the rest of the way to start it. Or if you don’t want to wait for the oil measurement, just turn the key all the way & it’ll start immediately. I mention this in case this is an option & maybe everyone doesn’t have that feature

However lately it is not starting regularly. Whether I wait or try to bypass the measurements it randomly just does nothing. When that would happen I just turn key completely off & repeat, usually with a successful start-up. This issue was only once in a while, but now I have to turn the keyMany times each time I want to start the car. When it does engage, all sounds & starts perfectly normal

Is it just that I need a new starter or could the oil checking feature be causing me problems

JFP in PA 07-20-2020 05:48 AM

Ignition switch.

blue62 07-20-2020 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb (Post 620862)
2004 S

My start up procedure is different on the Porsche than other cars I’ve had. When you insert the key & turn to the on position it measures the oil & gives a graphic on the dash to show oil levels which takes about 5 seconds. Then you turn the key the rest of the way to start it. Or if you don’t want to wait for the oil measurement, just turn the key all the way & it’ll start immediately. I mention this in case this is an option & maybe everyone doesn’t have that feature

However lately it is not starting regularly. Whether I wait or try to bypass the measurements it randomly just does nothing. When that would happen I just turn key completely off & repeat, usually with a successful start-up. This issue was only once in a while, but now I have to turn the keyMany times each time I want to start the car. When it does engage, all sounds & starts perfectly normal

Is it just that I need a new starter or could the oil checking feature be causing me problems

First things to check:
Make sure your battery cables connections at the battery are clean and tight.
Trace the negative battery cable down to were it is bolted to the body.
Make sure that connection is clean and tight.

There is a small black junction box next to your power steering reservoir in it is a positive cable connection make sure it is clean and tight.

If your issue is not corrected after taking theses steps then you possible have a bad ignition switch. The electrical component not the key tumbler.

From your description of the problem it is unlikely that you need a new starter.
The oil check feature is unrelated to the problem.

paulb 07-20-2020 06:36 AM

Thanks, I’ll check through all those connections later tonight.

obthomas 07-20-2020 09:38 AM

Listen to JFP. The ignition switch has a failure reputation with these cars.

Phat Hippy 07-20-2020 12:16 PM

Also, do yourself a favor if you change out the ignition switch. Go to the hardware store and get (2) M4 x 0.7 metric socket head cap screws about 3/8 inch long and sharpen a 60 degree conical point on them and replace the slotted set screws Porsche uses to retain the switch. With a short allen key it makes the install and future replacement a lot easier.

Racer Boy 07-20-2020 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phat Hippy (Post 620892)
Also, do yourself a favor if you change out the ignition switch. Go to the hardware store and get (2) M4 x 0.7 metric socket head cap screws about 3/8 inch long and sharpen a 60 degree conical point on them and replace the slotted set screws Porsche uses to retain the switch. With a short allen key it makes the install and future replacement a lot easier.

That's an excellent tip! I'll be replacing my ignition switch soon, so I'm glad you mentioned this.

maytag 07-20-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 620864)
Ignition switch.

Plus one.
Known point of failure for these cars.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk