Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Did a thing

I was browsing instagram and stumbled across 996roadtrip.

My truck had just been stolen, so I figured I'd give it a go on the 986 for an upcoming 6000 mile roadtrip.

beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #2

THAT'S CRAZY!
Just crazy enough to love.
Report back after your return! (I could see looking into one of them..) :dance:

(Won't have to worry about having your Boxster stolen...not when you're sleeping on top of it!)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #3

Love it.

Your bug in the first pic??

EDIT: oh and great front tire choice, but 6000 miles might wear them out depending on how you drive LOL I get about 10k out of my RE71's on my RX7.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used

Last edited by Qingdao; 07-03-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:35 PM   #4

Having had one of these RTS setups on a previous Boxster, the major draw back is you cannot put the top up or down without taking the whole rack off. Also expect way more wind noise when driving. You might want some ear plugs if you’re going to endure 6000 miles of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spyder_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:49 AM   #5

Aaah, there it is! Me like!
Nevergrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
This is new, and I love it!

I'm going to be curious to know what you think of driving 6000 miles with that on the car, especially at freeway speeds. I would suggest checking the RTS bolts everyday, and maybe using some blue loctite on them.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
TRP

Super cool. What does it look like when the tent is closed/stored?
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #8

Put 200 test miles on the setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Love it.

Your bug in the first pic??

EDIT: oh and great front tire choice, but 6000 miles might wear them out depending on how you drive LOL I get about 10k out of my RE71's on my RX7.
Not my bug. Tried to leave notes for the owner, they have no interest in meeting other gearheads apparently. Good eye on the tires. 10k is great, so they lasted you what? 2, maybe 3 rotary motors worth? I have about 2k miles on these and they are pretty well gone in the rear. I might throw new ones on mid-trip, but I think highway driving is much different than the normal paces I put the car through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder_Man View Post
Having had one of these RTS setups on a previous Boxster, the major draw back is you cannot put the top up or down without taking the whole rack off. Also expect way more wind noise when driving. You might want some ear plugs if you’re going to endure 6000 miles of it.
Yup. But that would be the case in any car with a roof rack

As for the wind noise, you're right, it's terrible. From 40-50mph it sounds a bit like a supercharger but then you realize it doesn't correlate to engine revs and so you scratch your head for a second. Found an empty road to test at 70, 80, 90 and the noise is a pretty brutal howl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
This is new, and I love it!

I'm going to be curious to know what you think of driving 6000 miles with that on the car, especially at freeway speeds. I would suggest checking the RTS bolts everyday, and maybe using some blue loctite on them.
Yup. Going to check it every single stop. Everything is within weight ratings, but good to be safe/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
Super cool. What does it look like when the tent is closed/stored?
Old 07-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
Yup. But that would be the case in any car with a roof rack

As for the wind noise, you're right, it's terrible. From 40-50mph it sounds a bit like a supercharger but then you realize it doesn't correlate to engine revs and so you scratch your head for a second. Found an empty road to test at 70, 80, 90 and the noise is a pretty brutal howl.
True that roof racks always create wind noise, but on a convertible with the soft-top providing minimal sound damping, you noise it even more. I’m guessing the 996 that inspired you was a coupe?

All the same, have a great adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spyder_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder_Man View Post
True that roof racks always create wind noise, but on a convertible with the soft-top providing minimal sound damping, you noise it even more. I’m guessing the 996 that inspired you was a coupe?
Ha, I jokingly meant that you can't put the top down on all vehicles with a roof rack -- but you're spot on the noise is pretty deafening. I have an idea for a solution when I get back from the trip.

So far we're 3000 miles in and have to replace 3 tires. 1 to a nail, and 2 to breaking belts on a cattle guard.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #11

Garage
Nice picture! Bummer about the tires
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post

Not my bug. Tried to leave notes for the owner, they have no interest in meeting other gearheads apparently. Good eye on the tires. 10k is great, so they lasted you what? 2, maybe 3 rotary motors worth? I have about 2k miles on these and they are pretty well gone in the rear. I might throw new ones on mid-trip, but I think highway driving is much different than the normal paces I put the car through.

HAHA it would be more funny if it wasn't' actually true... yes I've rebuilt my engine twice during that set of tires; one apex seal failure and one coolant seal failure . LOL I'm on my second set of RE71s now (10k on the engine so far). They are really good tires; like REALLY good tires. All that said I went with Indy 500 tires on the Porsche; higher tread wear and they seem like good tires (also I got them for $250 for the set).

I just got back from a trip to pickup a hard top, for my boxster, from SC to IL... man that was a trip had it done in 40 hours. 6000 miles gonna take more than a week off to complete that right?

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote