Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #1

Plateless

A change in Ohio law means that I no longer need to display a front license plate so removing the front plate was today's project. I had the holes for the center mount license plate bracket filled in when I had the bumper cover repainted a few years ago so it was only a matter of unscrewing the tow hook mount and replacing the plug. Looks better now, don't you think?

Oh, and I HAD to wash the Boxster today too. It really wasn't all that dirty or anything, more just a bit dusty around the edges but you see there was a Cadillac XLR beside be in the parking lot yesterday that may have been a bit shinier than my Boxster and, of course, we CAN'T have that!!

cheers - dj

Old 07-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #2

A million times better. Cops in the midwest are generally busy-body dickheads, but I always thought it was worth the risk of a minor non-moving violation ticket to not run the front plate.
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Much better. What color is the red?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #4

It's Orient Red Metallic. The metalflake really pops in the sunlight, photos just don't capture that sparkle..

Some years ago I was pulled over for not having a front plate on my X1/9. The officer let me off with just a warning. He explained that I did indeed license plates front and back and said "that's why they give you two."
Old 07-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #5

Nice color! Congrats on the plate delete. My car came from a state where that's legal, even though it's not where I live. I found that this was allowed if the original holes had been filled. I have plastic plugs matching the paint color, and have never been stopped for it in Oregon.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #6

Hopefully you won't find it frustrating to learn this, but we're living in the Akron area and, having bought my '01 about 14 years ago, I've NEVER had front tags.

Got stopped once (Medina area) where that was the stated reason for the stop. No ticket issued. Have been stopped a few other times since then (radar/laser-related, sometimes ticketed, typically not) when they, as a tack-on, mentioned the lack of front tags. NEVER cited for it. (The Medina stop got me a warning.)

I've been around for a while, have had grey hair for over 20 years...I'm sure that's helped. But, bottom line, I don't think it's been a big issue in Ohio. Not since we've been here anyway (1997). I just couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the bumper cover of this gorgeous machine. Couldn't do it...especially once I realized it apparently wasn't a big deal among Ohio law enforcement personnel. :dance:
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #7

Can't say I'm surprised that you were able to get by without a front plate. A couple of decades ago I went without a front plate on my X1/9 for a few years before being pulled over. Frankly, I think he stopped me more because he wanted to get a better look at the car and less because he was concerned about the lack of a front plate. In any case, my town is small enough and red sports cars are eye catching enough that the officer would probably have noticed if I had "forgotten" to display the plate after being warned. After that incident I had front plates on all my cars, until last week that is...
Old 07-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

My front plate is European embossed with my actual CA license plate info.

I've the CA plate in the frunk... with the screws and screwdriver. Still waiting...
Old 07-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I've the CA plate in the frunk... with the screws and screwdriver. Still waiting...
I also keep the front plate and mount in the trunk, it's a bad excuse since I have installed bumper plugs, but the car is so much cleaner without the plate. I don't plan to ever put it back on.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:17 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I also keep the front plate and mount in the trunk, it's a bad excuse since I have installed bumper plugs, but the car is so much cleaner without the plate. I don't plan to ever put it back on.
The car is in my wife's name so... if I get pulled over and they hassle me about it... oh, yeah... I'm playing the wife-card.

"Officer...".
Old 07-09-2020, 04:47 AM   #11

Just out of curiosity why has there been a change in the law which doesn't require you to have a front license plate? Normally the authorities like creating laws not repealing them!
jonogt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #12

Cost to the State of Ohio: I'm pretty sure there will be no reduction in what they charge John Q Public, but they'll only have to be stamping 1/2 as many tags.

Continuity: None of the states surrounding Ohio require front tags.

Electronics: Apparently modern-day sensors that go into front bumpers these days requires extra expense to be adapted to the positioning of front tags up there. Don't know that much about this, but the dealerships argue that it makes their cars more expensive compared to those just across the boarder.

Aesthetics: people (especially historic and foreign vehicle owners) have lobbied for years to jettison the front tag requirement because they just don't like the negative effect it has on the looks of the car.

I guess it's been debated for years...the 'no front tag' lobby finally won out. :dance:
Old 07-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Cost to the State of Ohio: I'm pretty sure there will be no reduction in what they charge John Q Public, but they'll only have to be stamping 1/2 as many tags.

Continuity: None of the states surrounding Ohio require front tags.

Electronics: Apparently modern-day sensors that go into front bumpers these days requires extra expense to be adapted to the positioning of front tags up there. Don't know that much about this, but the dealerships argue that it makes their cars more expensive compared to those just across the boarder.

Aesthetics: people (especially historic and foreign vehicle owners) have lobbied for years to jettison the front tag requirement because they just don't like the negative effect it has on the looks of the car.

I guess it's been debated for years...the 'no front tag' lobby finally won out. :dance:
Also, no one ever sees the front plate of an Ohio driver. I only see their rear plates because they're always in front of me hogging the left lane going 55MPH!
Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Also, no one ever sees the front plate of an Ohio driver. I only see their rear plates because they're always in front of me hogging the left lane going 55MPH!
Oh, Man...ain't that the truth!
95% of Ohioans haven't the slightest concept of 'passing lane.' Fully half that group consider it the 'texting lane.'
It's nuts. Not to mention frustrating.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #15

No front plate on my Boxster (and no drill holes) for the 15 years I've owned it...same for my family BMW SUV......never had an issue and I'm in Illinois where they need money!....lol
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #16
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
There are a couple of alternatives to drilling holes. This one is from Rennline. It bolts into the tow hook hole. https://www.rennline.com/License-Plate-Brackets/products/932/
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #17

I just got a bumper that came from a state that required front plates.

I fixed the little holes with some push pins and heat.

^^ from the outside.

^^ and inside.

I just laid a coat of primer on this part. Can't hardly tell any puncture was there at all.

Just thought I'd tell you front plate people there is hope to have clean body lines; even if it takes some effort.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote