986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "Temporary" coolant options? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78093)

imhighlander 06-20-2020 03:27 PM

"Temporary" coolant options?

My low coolant warning came on today (temp remained fine; just the flashing light indicating low coolant). I was back in the garage in less than 5 minutes and when I checked the level, it is indeed low.

I don't have any Porsche coolant on hand and I need to drive the car (my DD) all next week. I plan to do a full radiator flush in the coming weeks but I need to know what the sages here believe would be a suitable solution for coolant to "get by" for the next couple of weeks until I can do a proper job.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1PorscheBoxster986 06-20-2020 03:33 PM

If your coolant loss is not significant or level is not too low then just top it off with distilled water. If you're going to be pouring a lot of distilled water then you will get bubbles that cause air pockets so make sure you do the proper burping. If you don't know what coolant has been in it then it's time to do a coolant change and flush. Notice all the ifs? It's time to do a coolant change.

imhighlander 06-20-2020 03:50 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I figure I'm past due for a coolant change. It's just a project I hadn't gotten to yet.

I'm ordering coolant tonight. [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexcramer 06-20-2020 06:53 PM

I suggest you check the reservoir in the trunk first for leaks before you get started.

berni29 06-21-2020 12:26 PM

Hi

Any modern OAT longlife coolant will do. The colour is not important. Just the type.

Or you could just add distilled water if the loss is not large.

Thats my opinion!

Berni

JayG 06-21-2020 06:33 PM

Just use H2O

elgyqc 06-21-2020 06:48 PM

Ben Burner did a video on Youtube on the Porsche coolant question. After watching it I used Prestone...

thstone 06-23-2020 09:13 PM

Just use distilled water.

I don't know why some are saying not to use water if there is a big loss. I use only distilled water in my coolant system with an additive called water wetter and it works great (but I never drive in freezing weather).

Gilles 06-24-2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 619480)
Just use distilled water.

I don't know why some are saying not to use water if there is a big loss. I use only distilled water in my coolant system with an additive called water wetter and it works great (but I never drive in freezing weather).

Tom, do you only use water with water wetter is by personal choice or because the antifreeze is banned at the track..? This is understandable for a race car but for a DD even here (SoCal) sometimes goes below 32

Many years ago I learned an expensive lesson when the freeze plugs blew out on a Chevy 350, and will never forget what I saw after opening the hood.. 'ice coming off from the block'.. :p

JayG 06-24-2020 06:54 AM

The OP was asking about a "temporary" solution for a few weeks until he could do a full fix

No point in wasting $$ on coolant in that case. Even tap water would be fine for a few weeks considering he is planning to do a full flush and replace