986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   De-snorkeling 986: Yes or no? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78016)

986Chick 06-10-2020 11:32 AM

De-snorkeling 986: Yes or no?

Is there any reason NOT to de-snorkel a '99 Boxster? I guess the only thing that would concern me is debris or water getting down into the engine. Any opinions on this?

Junkley 06-10-2020 11:55 AM

For a short period I parked my car on a very busy Los Angeles street. I let it sit for about a week once and the car had serious problems starting. I'm 99 percent certain that dust filled the intake system and covered the MAF. When you desnorkle it does all more dust in there. But so far, there isn't a downside that I see. I removed MAF, cleaned, and was back on my way in ten minutes.

edc 06-10-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkley (Post 618645)
For a short period I parked my car on a very busy Los Angeles street. I let it sit for about a week once and the car had serious problems starting. I'm 99 percent certain that dust filled the intake system and covered the MAF. When you desnorkle it does all more dust in there. But so far, there isn't a downside that I see. I removed MAF, cleaned, and was back on my way in ten minutes.

Given the MAF is sealed how did all the dust get past the air filter when no air was being drawn in?

Junkley 06-10-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edc (Post 618648)
Given the MAF is sealed how did all the dust get past the air filter when no air was being drawn in?

I hope that wasn't intended to sound snarky.

When I say busy street, I mean very busy. There way a drag race at least hourly all night long, Thousands of cars a day braking intensely from long uninterrupted stretch. I saw people travelling over 100 mph every day on that road. So yes, dust can get past all that stuff. I offer firsthand experience, this is exactly what happened. There's zero doubt in my mind.

maytag 06-10-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkley (Post 618650)
I hope that wasn't intended to sound snarky.

When I say busy street, I mean very busy. There way a drag race at least hourly all night long, Thousands of cars a day braking intensely from long uninterrupted stretch. I saw people travelling over 100 mph every day on that road. So yes, dust can get past all that stuff. I offer firsthand experience, this is exactly what happened. There's zero doubt in my mind.

Then you have a leak in your system, somewhere past the air filter. I'm sorry, but that's just fact.
And, it has absolutely Nothing to do with whether the car is snorkeled or DE-snorkeled.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

imhighlander 06-10-2020 02:22 PM

Related to OP's inquiry, what is intended to be the point of the snorkel? Agreed that the lack of the snorkel should have no impact on getting dust/debris to the MAF; the filter should have prevented that. @junkley, is it possible that your air filter wasn't positioned correctly or that there's a leak that's allowing air past the filter?

No snark intended on this end. Just trying to 1) learn why Porsche installed the snorkel if it's extraneous, and 2) hopefully help spot why @junkley had dirt in the MAF.

Junkley 06-10-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imhighlander (Post 618654)
Related to OP's inquiry, what is intended to be the point of the snorkel? Agreed that the lack of the snorkel should have no impact on getting dust/debris to the MAF; the filter should have prevented that. @junkley, is it possible that your air filter wasn't positioned correctly or that there's a leak that's allowing air past the filter?

No snark intended on this end. Just trying to 1) learn why Porsche installed the snorkel if it's extraneous, and 2) hopefully help spot why @junkley had dirt in the MAF.

I've read that the snorkel was specifically for USA market to meet noise pollution controls.

It is possible that something was out of whack but I'm 99 percent sure the added dust was the problem.

maytag 06-10-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imhighlander (Post 618654)

The snorkel is about noise control. It is otherwise superfluous.
To get water into the engine from the intake on the side of the car, you would need to direct a high pressure blast straight into- and- back, in essence TRYING to get water into the motor.

There is no harm in removing it. But those who tell you they felt it increase power have succumbed to placebo. ;-)

blue62 06-10-2020 04:19 PM

De-snorkeling will give you increased intake noise.
And that's all it will do.
It's not going to add power.
And its not going to allow any extra dirt or dust into your system.

piper6909 06-10-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 618657)
The snorkel is about noise control. It is otherwise superfluous.... But those who tell you they felt it increase power have succumbed to placebo. ;-)

If "Perception is 9/10 of reality", then if for example it sounds like it has 20 more HP, in reality it has 18 more HP. You can't argue against that! ;)

Some even argue that "Perception IS reality" but that would spiral us into a political argument...:D:D

Racer Boy 06-10-2020 05:12 PM

Based on my experience, the car does sound a lot cooler with the snorkel removed. Probably no power increase, but it sounds like it's making more power!

blue62 06-10-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 618668)
Based on my experience, the car does sound a lot cooler with the snorkel removed. Probably no power increase, but it sounds like it's making more power!

Exactly that's why I de-snorkeled mine. Great sound above 3500 RPM.

maytag 06-10-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 618668)

Ditto

Frodo 06-10-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 618673)
Ditto

Agree.
And, it's pretty easy.
No brainer, eh?

flmont 06-10-2020 06:16 PM

Ditto...Love that sound !!

imhighlander 06-10-2020 06:46 PM

Looks like I have this weekend's project figured out.

MrBen 06-10-2020 07:22 PM

Is it hard to resnorkle if you're not happy with the results or does removal destroy the parts

blue62 06-10-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBen (Post 618680)
Is it hard to resnorkle if you're not happy with the results or does removal destroy the parts

The snorkel is just snapped into place.
I stuck a broom handle in mine shoved to the left and right and popped it out in seconds.
It can be snapped back in place in about the same amount of time.
Takes longer to remove the grill over the intake opening then it does to remove or replace the snorkel.

piper6909 06-10-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imhighlander (Post 618678)
Looks like I have this weekend's project figured out.

Careful not to break the tabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dyh1jgvTDY

Good luck!

jaykay 06-11-2020 04:18 PM

Throttle response with a 74mm TB sufers without the snork