986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Buying My First Porsche (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77970)

joeythelyon 06-05-2020 09:55 AM

Buying My First Porsche

Hi everyone!

I got bitten by the Porsche bug some months back after driving my first sports car, and I think it's time to get something with more driver involvement and less lazy than my AMG Mercedes. So, I've been looking at Boxsters on local classifieds to work on and have fun with over the summer.

I found what looks like a good deal on a modded, but non-running 2001 Boxster S, and if you guys could give some feedback, that would be great.

Details:
-Seal Grey on black interior, interior in good shape, headlights have no fade
-140k miles
-6-speed manual
-19" iforged wheels
-Bilstein shocks and Techart springs
-VR Tune ECU flash
-Fabspeed race headers with cat bypass
-Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes

Problems:
-The car starts and runs, but the seller says it emits fumes of blue-white smoke. He said it happened about two minutes after he left his driveway some months ago and he has parked it in his garage ever since. Seller said that his Porsche technician said it is most likely the AOS
-Seller says the brakes "barely work" because "the AOS creates a vacuum leak in the braking system." I'm not sure how valid this is.
-Softtop rear window is completely faded and cracked. It needs replacement, or the top needs replacement.

He posted it for $5k, but says he won't go lower than $4.5k. What do you guys think?

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. This is my first post.

BYprodriver 06-05-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeythelyon (Post 618268)
Hi everyone!

I got bitten by the Porsche bug some months back after driving my first sports car, and I think it's time to get something with more driver involvement and less lazy than my AMG Mercedes. So, I've been looking at Boxsters on local classifieds to work on and have fun with over the summer.

I found what looks like a good deal on a modded, but non-running 2001 Boxster S, and if you guys could give some feedback, that would be great.

Details:
-Seal Grey on black interior, interior in good shape, headlights have no fade
-140k miles
-6-speed manual
-19" iforged wheels
-Bilstein shocks and Techart springs
-VR Tune ECU flash
-Fabspeed race headers with cat bypass
-Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes

Problems:
-The car starts and runs, but the seller says it emits fumes of blue-white smoke. He said it happened about two minutes after he left his driveway some months ago and he has parked it in his garage ever since. Seller said that his Porsche technician said it is most likely the AOS
-Seller says the brakes "barely work" because "the AOS creates a vacuum leak in the braking system." I'm not sure how valid this is.
-Softtop rear window is completely faded and cracked. It needs replacement, or the top needs replacement.

He posted it for $5k, but says he won't go lower than $4.5k. What do you guys think?

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. This is my first post.

Good Deal IF the engine is in good condition

joeythelyon 06-05-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 618269)
Good Deal IF the engine is in good condition

Hi BYprodriver!

Do I just inspect the rest of the engine, like belts and rubber conditions and such? Or did the failing AOS already answer that question :confused:

1PorscheBoxster986 06-05-2020 10:31 AM

You mention the car is not running but listed 3 issues which none should affect the vehicle from running at least. You mention it starts and runs as well so I'm confused. The price is very attractive for a S but with that kind of mileage comes maintenance and it will add up once you find out the real reasons why it isn't running. I would get a PPI to mentally prepare yourself how much more it will cost you to get this car moving.

tonythetiger 06-05-2020 10:31 AM

good deal, maybe

OK, so you are looking at an S, and that is where you should start. IMHO, This car is only a good deal if you can work on it yourself. Smoke is a sign of AOS failure, but also burning coolant (cracked head).
100 bucks and an hour fixes the AOS, but at 140K, there are a number of things that are due (or overdue).
Suspension, mounts, water pump, thermostat, clutch w/ flywheel, IMS (lots of debate on this), plugs, tubes, coils, alternator, starter are all things that cold fail. The only way it turns out for you is if you are fixing it, having a shop buy parts and then the labor will turn you upside down.
Have a PPI performed on the car, and wrench away.

joeythelyon 06-05-2020 12:02 PM

Thanks everyone for all the responses! I knew this forum was a great place.

@1PorscheBoxster986, I misspoke. The seller says it runs and drives, but shouldn't be on the road because of the brakes.

@tonythetiger, Would a PPI be able to reveal if there is a cracked head? I read that this is a problem with M96 engines up until 2001.

thstone 06-05-2020 04:42 PM

First, if the problem was ONLY the AOS, the owner would have spent the $400 and had it repaired. There is a reason why he's selling it "as-is" and whatever the reason is, its not good.

Buying a non-running car is a big risk because you (or a shop) can't check the cooling system, a/c system, heater, power steering, check engine lights, suspension, transmission, and a million other things.

I bought my current Boxster with a failed engine and the seller swore that the engine was the ONLY problem. It cost me $1800 to repair the other things that were wrong with the car that the failed engine hid.

Buyer beware.

78F350 06-05-2020 06:34 PM

+1 to Tom's post regarding other unknowns.
It could be an easy fix, or it could be a very expensive car to make right. Personally, I'd price it as a parts car. If it looks nice and well cared for, a PPI could be worthwhile. The depth of a PPI depends on the shop. Call your shop and ask what they can do.

joeythelyon 06-05-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 618314)
First, if the problem was ONLY the AOS, the owner would have spent the $400 and had it repaired. There is a reason why he's selling it "as-is" and whatever the reason is, its not good.

Buying a non-running car is a big risk because you (or a shop) can't check the cooling system, a/c system, heater, power steering, check engine lights, suspension, transmission, and a million other things.

I bought my current Boxster with a failed engine and the seller swore that the engine was the ONLY problem. It cost me $1800 to repair the other things that were wrong with the car that the failed engine hid.

Buyer beware.

This sounds pretty reasonable. And it's probably not worth it to turn on the car when oil is being fed into the engine either, I guess?

I'm looking at other Boxsters as well, I guess I'll see how it is next weekend and tell you guys what I notice about it.

tonythetiger 06-06-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 618314)

1800? thats nothing! :+)

Brian Minson 06-06-2020 05:28 PM

You might wanna watch these videos...

How Much to Fix a Boxster: https://youtu.be/y9Ur25uokgk

How to Replace your Boxster Engine: https://youtu.be/A0cQvWOHGVA

Base Boxster vs Boxster S: https://youtu.be/MmEkqvWf_Yk

Brian :)

kk2002s 06-08-2020 03:29 AM

Reading many posts like this, higher mileage, 2000-2002 'S', just need some love and It could be??? - $4500 - $5500 - This car sounds like a great deal

I'm starting to think the "a great deal" is paying the $9000 - $10000 on a good running from loving owner that tried to stay on top of the know stuff.

By the time your done getting the $4500 great deal up to where it's dependable and presents nicely, now your in the $9000 - $10000.

But on the other hand if your a serious DIYer and you enjoy that kind of thing then that kinda car might be just right

So are you a serious DIYer or have a thick wallet???