986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front hood struts replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958)

Balloonmeister 06-04-2020 11:04 AM

Front hood struts replacement

I need to replace the hood struts on the frunk lid. How does one remove the old ones? Do they just 'pop off' using some sort of lever or is there something else that I need to do?

Beelzy 06-04-2020 11:27 AM

There should be a tiny latch or cover over the ball end that you pry up first to get access for removal.

rexcramer 06-04-2020 12:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1aS86Wv_ZM

Balloonmeister 06-04-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beelzy (Post 618203)
There should be a tiny latch or cover over the ball end that you pry up first to get access for removal.

Thank you!

JayG 06-04-2020 12:05 PM

Brute force and ignorance works every time LOL

Starter986 06-04-2020 12:31 PM

Definately a dealer event. Maybe an indy if you can find one who wants to tackle that project. Good luck.

TRP 06-04-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 618209)
Definately a dealer event. Maybe an indy if you can find one who wants to tackle that project. Good luck.

WHAT!? Oh wait... maybe sarcasm?

I ordered mine through one of the suppliers and swapped them out in 2 minutes. The video above is a good approach. I was mildly horrified with how he removed the clips. Maybe his clips were different than mine? My clips slide out towards the ends.

Do one side at a time.

On each end of the strut there is a metal clip which slides up (toward the 'end' of the ball) in a little groove. I put a small thin screwdriver under the edge and wiggled/slid that clip out toward the end of the ball. If you slide the clip too far it will slip off the ball. Not a huge deal, just keep an eye on where it lands.

You will need to move the little clips for both the old ones (that are on the car) and the new ones (that will be in your hand).

Once you slide the clips over a bit then you can pull the strut off of the ball. With one hand, hold up the bonnet / hood with the other pull the end off the ball. Top or bottom first then the other end. You can see how in the video he has to 'whack' the strut a bit. For the struts on my 2000, if you slide the clips off properly you don't need to do that. The struts just come off really easily. Once that's off... put the 'new one' on. This is where it's handy if you've already moved the clips on the new ones. Slip the ends over the ball end and then slide the cover / retainer clip back into the starting position. In the video above, the mechanic just pushes the new ones over the ball end without moving the clips. I don't know if there is anything wrong with that.

Do the other side. Now you're done. :)

If you go to the dealer for this... :troll:

JayG 06-04-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRP (Post 618211)
WHAT!? Oh wait... maybe sarcasm?

I ordered mine through one of the suppliers and swapped them out in 2 minutes. The video above is a good approach. I was mildly horrified with how he removed the clips. Maybe his clips were different than mine? My clips slide out towards the ends.

Do one side at a time.

On each end of the strut there is a metal clip which slides up (toward the 'end' of the ball) in a little groove. I put a small thin screwdriver under the edge and wiggled/slid that clip out toward the end of the ball. If you slide the clip too far it will slip off the ball. Not a huge deal, just keep an eye on where it lands.

You will need to move the little clips for both the old ones (that are on the car) and the new ones (that will be in your hand).

Once you slide the clips over a bit then you can pull the strut off of the ball. With one hand, hold up the bonnet / hood with the other pull the end off the ball. Top or bottom first then the other end. You can see how in the video he has to 'whack' the strut a bit. For the struts on my 2000, if you slide the clips off properly you don't need to do that. The struts just come off really easily. Once that's off... put the 'new one' on. This is where it's handy if you've already moved the clips on the new ones. Slip the ends over the ball end and then slide the cover / retainer clip back into the starting position. In the video above, the mechanic just pushes the new ones over the ball end without moving the clips. I don't know if there is anything wrong with that.

Do the other side. Now you're done. :)

If you go to the dealer for this... :troll:

Yea, what he said
Definitely a DIY. Don't waste your $$ at a dealer on hood struts

Starter986 06-05-2020 03:47 AM

Yes. I was being sarcastic. I'll do that once in a while. ;)

:cheers:

Balloonmeister 06-05-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 618209)

Wow, Starter986, I almost had made that appointment with the dealer. Luckily, I saw the post with the YouTube video and I was actually able to do the job all by myself. Saved lots of money. :D:D

Thanx to all (including Starter ;)), who responded.

paulofto 06-05-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 618241)

Once in awhile? Starter you are the sarcasm king!

Starter986 06-05-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balloonmeister (Post 618251)
Wow, Starter986, I almost had made that appointment with the dealer. Luckily, I saw the post with the YouTube video and I was actually able to do the job all by myself. Saved lots of money. :D:D

Thanx to all (including Starter ;)), who responded.

That was one of the first things I did when I got the car. Watched the YT vids... read from upon these pages.

You'll find elsewhere to spend that money. ;)

See ya around!

Blackcloud 06-09-2020 06:56 AM

Just watch out for the clips when they pop off. Put a shop towel around it when you pop it out. Those thing can really fly, and you don’t want to drive over them.

TRP 06-09-2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 618241)

LOL -- it took me longer than I want to admit to get that...

TRP 06-09-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 618544)
Just watch out for the clips when they pop off. Put a shop towel around it when you pop it out. Those thing can really fly, and you don’t want to drive over them.

I was afraid they would chip my paint. I like the shop towel idea!