Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2015, 06:45 AM   #1

Engine cooling fan

Hi, my 2002 2.7 engine cooling fan works intermittently. Thought it could be the relay, but any other ideas? Thanks

taspinall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:55 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taspinall View Post
Hi, my 2002 2.7 engine cooling fan works intermittently. Thought it could be the relay, but any other ideas? Thanks
The Fan runs off a thermostat on the passenger side intake they don't run continuously and could turn on several minutes after the car is off and sitting.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The engine compartment fan is triggered by different variables, the only set variable as far as I know if that it normally (I did not say always) triggers if the engine bay temperature exceeds 158° F. Mine normally only comes on after idling for a very long time or in summer bumper to bumper traffic.

See this post:
http://986forum.com/forums/186426-post3.html
Old 08-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #4

Thanks, mine overheated and poured out water when stuck in traffic as the fan didnt come on. Wate came out of the cooling bleed valve which I have now tightened. I got home filled water up and then it came on, then switched off and didnt come on when I restarted. Just worried that it will overheat and pour out water again.
taspinall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #5

If the cooling system does not hold pressure, it will over heat. Also clean out radiator fins to get better efficiency from them. Porsche has also updated the coolant tank cap for better pressure retension.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #6

Garage
have you tested the 2 fans behind the radiators? I wound up replacing both of mine. along with the engine compartment fan.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:29 AM   #7

Engine overheating/coolant loss is not a result of the engine compartment fan not working.

That could be the front radiator fans but most commonly is a failure of the coolant reservoir + radiator cap.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #8

Garage
Old thread, new post. What if the engine cooling fan comes on at initial cold start? Could that be a bad fan, temp sensor? Engine temp never gets over 185.

EDIT: Put the top into service mode, pulled the engine cover and fount that the primary line for the secondary air injection pump was disconnected. This would explain why it sounded like a vacuum was running for the first couple minutes. Reconnected it, noise gone!

Last edited by mgfranz; 06-01-2020 at 02:39 PM.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote