Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #1

Bleeding the clutch

I was intending to bleed the clutch today with my motive pressure bleeder but it looks like a got the wrong model I have his one, but I think I need the one in the second pic. Anywho, It looks like pressure bleeding is the way to go on the clutch because, correct me if I'm wrong, you can't pump the clutch pedal to flush out the old fluid like you can with the brakes. Apprently the clutch has to be pushed to the floor and held there while a pressure bleeder pushes out the old stuff so says my Bently manual. I intend to exchange the bleeder and get the correct one, but I was wondering if any has a play by play and or pics on how to install the pressure bleeder to the resevior? Where does it anchor to? The instructions are basically nill that come with the one I currently own. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Adam; 10-16-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #2

Yeah, looks like you need the second one. I used a mini vac on mine and pulled the fluid through. That one probably works better but I didnt have a problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #3

The second one is not correct either, you want this one:
http://www.motiveproducts.com/images/smbleeder3.JPG

It's called the "EUROPEAN POWER BLEEDER" and it just screws right on.
binaryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:12 PM   #4

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryc
The second one is not correct either, you want this one:
http://www.motiveproducts.com/images/smbleeder3.JPG

It's called the "EUROPEAN POWER BLEEDER" and it just screws right on.

Aww, yes that looks like the one. Any suggestions on who has the best price? Suncoast? Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #6

Almost forgot about my first brake bleeding device.

Bought an extra cap for $2, drilled a hole in it, and stuck a metal valve stem in the hole. Hooked up the valve stem to my compressor and set the regulator to about 20 psi. Didn't want to spend the money on an overpriced bug sprayer.

Ended up buying the Motive anyway because I could not haul around my air compressor to our local work on cars days.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #7

Nice fabrication Tool Pants....very good idea too.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #8

Here's a good place to get the right one. Fits all Porsches as far as I know, and definitely fits the Boxster and the 928. Go to http://www.928gt.com/ and search for Motive. It's only $39 and they are good people to support .
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #9

Nice tool, tool. What a great idea. I look at something like that and think, "Why didnt I think of that?"Im impressed and going to do it next time.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Aww, yes that looks like the one. Any suggestions on who has the best price? Suncoast? Thanks for the help everyone.
Hi,

There is an issue with that European Motive Bleeder. That is, it doesn't have a swivel and to put the cap on/off the reservoir, you need to rotate the entire bleeder to avoid kinking the hose.

But, you can keep the Bleeder you have and just add this swivel cap - http://www.zimsautotechnik.com/acatalog/Metal_Swivel_Cap_for_Motive_Products_Power_Bleeder .html to the existing hose. It's billet aluminum and a very nice and durable piece, I have one and it's great. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

PS The Brakes and Clutch share a common fluid reservoir, because of the ABS, you should not use the push pedal method to bleed the brakes. The ABS requires a constant minimum 18PSI to bleed properly.

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-16-2006 at 06:15 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #11

I did not invent this wheel, just improved on it a bit.

Saw something like this on a BMW site years ago, but they were using a rubber valve stem and then playing around with it so that it would seal when inserted in the hole drilled in the cap.

I had a metal valve stem laying around and just had to tighten the nut on the the back end of the stem, as a metal valve stem come with 2 rubber seals that seal off the hole you need to drill in the plastic cap for the valve. You also need to block off a small vent in the cap or you cannot pressurize the reservoir. I used a hot melt glue gun to close the vent.

You also need a regulator on the compressor to limit the PSI to about 20 or you can damage the reservoir. That is why Motive has a pressure gauge on the side.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

There is an issue with that European Motive Bleeder. That is, it doesn't have a swivel and to put the cap on/off the reservoir, you need to rotate the entire bleeder to avoid kinking the hose.

But, you can keep the Bleeder you have and just add this swivel cap - http://www.zimsautotechnik.com/acatalog/Metal_Swivel_Cap_for_Motive_Products_Power_Bleeder .html to the existing hose. It's billet aluminum and a very nice and durable piece, I have one and it's great. Hope this helps...

PS The Brakes and Clutch share a common fluid reservoir, because of the ABS, you should not use the push pedal method to bleed the brakes. The ABS requires a constant minimum 18PSI to bleed properly.

Oh very sweet Jim. I'll be ordering that real soon! Thanks for the great link and help!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Oh very sweet Jim. I'll be ordering that real soon! Thanks for the great link and help!

Hi,

Glad I could help. Keep the link and when you get the chance, peruse their catalogue, zimsautotechnik is a pretty good source for alot of the stuff you'll need. I've used them alot and have been satisfied with their service...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote