986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help w/ Convertible Top - Push Rod won't stay on (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77826)

clean_send 05-15-2020 12:24 PM

Help w/ Convertible Top - Push Rod won't stay on

Hey 986 friends, I wanted to post about any ideas to trouble shoot my convertible top on my 98 box with a newer GAAH top (installed by the PO).

Problem
The push rod end cap pops off the passenger side when I try and close the top. It will open fine, but when I go raise it, it will reach all but one inch away (turning off the dash light) and when I manually close it that last bit, it pops off. The driver side has a metal pushrod end that's bolted into the top. Would this make a difference?

Things I've tried
- Bought a new push rod for the passenger side (when I bought the car it didn't even have one)
- Bought new end caps.
- retimed the transmissions as recommended in Wayne's book.
- double and triple checked that the lengths are the same on both sides.
- yelled at the moon in hopes of it magically fixing it's self.

Currently I have just removed the passenger side push rod because I don't want it stabbing the drain trays (another headache especially living in the PNW). The top still opens and closes with just one push rod but I don't want to put extra stress on the transmissions.

Any thoughts?

Deserion 05-15-2020 12:40 PM

Both sides should have plastic end caps. It’s a sacrificial part to prevent frame damage if something gets jammed or out of whack. :) Happened ob my mother’s 987 when the main plastic gear in a transmission split and put everything ajar while jamming it.

It’s possible that it’s a little out of alignment, and pulling it is the extra oomph needed to pop.

clean_send 05-16-2020 02:15 PM

Hm ok. I gotta see if this push rod with the metal end cap can even be replaced it's going through the convertible top assembly so I think I'd have to remove the whole top.

CrisZenithBlue 05-17-2020 03:05 AM

I'm with Deserion on this one, i would just play with the alignment a little bit more, make sure both sides are moving in tandem. If you already followed the Wayne's instruction you know how that goes. It took me a bit of trial and error until i got mine straightened up.

And definitely get the sacrificial plastic end caps, cheap insurance. Dont forget to grease the tracks either, they tend to get dust in there making everything work harder until it breaks.

flouese 05-18-2020 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue (Post 617197)
I'm with Deserion on this one, i would just play with the alignment a little bit more, make sure both sides are moving in tandem. If you already followed the Wayne's instruction you know how that goes. It took me a bit of trial and error until i got mine straightened up.

And definitely get the sacrificial plastic end caps, cheap insurance. Dont forget to grease the tracks either, they tend to get dust in there making everything work harder until it breaks.

Wayne's instructions? Where can I find these? I have t replace my top (only replaced 3 years ago). Figure since I'm in there might as well check to see if everything is as should be.