Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 06:17 AM   #1

Anyone have a wheel bearing tool to rent?

Have my cv axle out of my rear 986 to replace a leaking differential seal and thought what a good time to change the wheel bearing?

Looks like I could diy one, but would be willing to rent one if anyone is interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Check with Autozone... complimentary they lend out tools. Leave a deposit... return tool.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Check with Autozone... complimentary they lend out tools. Leave a deposit... return tool.

I am not sure they will have the attachments to fit the boxster hub but will check? Thanks!

Old 05-11-2020, 08:01 AM   #4

They probably have everything except to pull the hub which requires somewhat vehicle specific attachments to press against the vehicle behind the hub in order to pull it, unless you want to use something like a slide hammer.

I've got this set (full disclosure, I haven't yet used it on the Boxster or Cayman, but it looks very similar to the SIR tools I did use the time I did the job)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYZHQLF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is HEAVY. I bet shipping to/from would eat up a good chunk of the purchase price. Maybe the auto parts loaner tool have something like this?

If someone has the SIR kit with just the plates for Porsche it would be a lot lighter and probably ideal.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
Side Porsche

Advance Auto Parts had a tool that worked to pull the wheel bearing. I just went through this a month ago.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FLFMCXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought that tool from amazon, was about 30 bucks.

Then I used a slide hammer to get hub out.

I was dreading this job, but it was easy peasy with these tools.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Then I used a slide hammer to get hub out.
I was dreading this job, but it was easy peasy with these tools.
Removing the hub with a slide hammer is straight up job, but a bear of a job none the less (at least for me..)

Another option is to remove the entire hub assembly and take it to your favorite alignment/tire shop and they will do it very quickly on a hydraulic press

PS: If this was my car I would replace the seals 'on both sides' of the tranny as both are the same age

Good Luck!

Last edited by Gilles; 05-11-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #8

Garage
I have a SIR Tool kit in Raleigh/Durham. I believe it will work with rear wheel bearings. I will check up on that to confirm.

It is the B90 Kit. It appears to be the right one. I can send you a few pics of it if you PM me an address.

Last edited by BFeller; 05-11-2020 at 04:02 PM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:40 AM   #9

Garage
I bought the HF kit for $30-$35 worked fine for all but the last one. For the last one I had to take the hub off and have a local machine shop remove it. Using the sliding hammer will kill your arm though but cheaper than the SIR tool.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
I have a SIR Tool kit in Raleigh/Durham. I believe it will work with rear wheel bearings. I will check up on that to confirm.

It is the B90 Kit. It appears to be the right one. I can send you a few pics of it if you PM me an address.

That would be awesome, sent you a pm.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Removing the hub with a slide hammer is straight up job, but a bear of a job none the less (at least for me..)

Another option is to remove the entire hub assembly and take it to your favorite alignment/tire shop and they will do it very quickly on a hydraulic press

PS: If this was my car I would replace the seals 'on both sides' of the tranny as both are the same age

Good Luck!
And using the slide hammer, no need to take off the pesky parking brake shoes...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
Have my cv axle out of my rear 986 to replace a leaking differential seal and thought what a good time to change the wheel bearing?
Kboggs, please note that you have to install the wheel bearings with the magnetic side on the inside (ABS), as I learned that lesson the hard way..
Old 05-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #13

Shoot man.. just pull both of the knuckles and take them to a machine shop they'll press them in and you don't have to worry about un-professional results. Can't possibly cost that much.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Shoot man.. just pull both of the knuckles and take them to a machine shop they'll press them in and you don't have to worry about un-professional results. Can't possibly cost that much.

I pressed the fronts in myself with my father in laws press, but not sure if I want to pull the spindles if they are both fine? Thinking about waiting till I have to or when I do a suspension refresh.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #15

Hello Kboggs,

With the SIR tool kindly offered by BFeller, you will Not require to remove entire hub (or use the slide hammer..)

I had to use the slide hammer to avoid removing the hub and risking damage to the rubber boots as you mention.

Good luck!