986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CDR 220 faceplate (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77426)

Allegro 03-22-2020 04:33 PM

CDR 220 faceplate

Hi All,

The lights on the faceplate of my original-to-the-car CDR 220 have gone dark. The radio and CD player still work fine. If I get just a new faceplate and pop it in will I be good to go?

Thanks,
Stephen

rexcramer 03-22-2020 06:49 PM

I would be concerned about the radio code. Is it stored in the face plate or the main body? Have you pulled it all out and checked all of the connections? Try unplugging and reconnect?

Zzorro 03-23-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 613848)
I would be concerned about the radio code. Is it stored in the face plate or the main body? Have you pulled it all out and checked all of the connections? Try unplugging and reconnect?

I bought a CDR-210 faceplate, brand new from becker for my old head unit. I just popped it in and it worked fine. I doubt that the CDR-220 would be any different.

My CDR-220 faceplate lights up, but I don't have any letters/numbers on the LCD anymore. I still have sounds, (CD, AUX, radio etc.).

Allegro 03-23-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 613848)

Yeah, the code is what I'm concerned about. The faceplate lost a few of its lights months ago. Then went dark.

Sveach756 03-23-2020 12:24 PM

You’ll be good. If not just ask for a new code on here or renntech. I replaced a screen recently from an old unit but can’t remember if I used the same code or a new one. Either way asking for your code on renntech will get you what you need, there is a huge thread and you get feedback in about 24hours.
Shawn

particlewave 03-25-2020 05:49 PM

Send it to me and I’ll replace the LEDs.
I have a bunch of OEM orange/amber.

mgfranz 03-29-2020 08:54 AM

If the other suggestions don't pan out, let me know, I have a CDR220 with radio code sitting in storage that I can part with.

Allegro 03-30-2020 07:22 AM

Thanks to all. Right now I'm thinking it would be smarter to upgrade to a Continental head unit. Then I get Bluetooth also.

Zzorro 04-14-2020 02:45 PM

Just an update on this for those that are interested.

I purchased another used CDR-220 from a forum user. When it arrived, I simply swapped the faceplates.

I was asked to reenter the security code (of the existing deck still installed and NOT the "new" one) and it fired right up. No issues.

Hope that helps out.

Racer Boy 04-14-2020 02:58 PM

I installed a Continental head unit and I really like it. It sounds much better, looks OEM, and overall it works great.

Valden 03-25-2023 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 614046)
Send it to me and I’ll replace the LEDs.
I have a bunch of OEM orange/amber.

Hi particlewave. It’s been a couple of years since your reply, about replacing the LEDs on a Becker CDR-220 circuit board. I’d like to ask you about this.

My display is showing no characters all of a sudden. The LED backlight for the pushbuttons are still working and there is some background illumination of the display screen. I have cleaned all contacts. No go. No characters on the screen. Other than this display problem, the radio works fine. All the pushbuttons work. This suggests the problem is just with the display.

The fault could be with the display screen, or with the array of LEDs that sit behind it. Your comment suggests the latter, though I am curious about this.

Can you please tell me what repairs have worked for you? Any clues will be appreciated.

Regards, Valden.