986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   boxster racing a cayman S around a track (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7740)

blkboxster 10-13-2006 12:25 PM

boxster racing a cayman S around a track

heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDUhVV0wUvk

unklekraker 10-13-2006 12:33 PM

why do you have to post it up here? that's it i'm going home buy me a cayman....hahahahahaha! at least it pass by the 944 (w/ all respect to the 944)

CJ_Boxster 10-13-2006 12:48 PM

dang that cayman is kicking butt.

KRZTACO 10-13-2006 03:44 PM

That is awesome. I would love to do that.

great vid.

KRZ

JP-s-in st. louis 10-13-2006 03:44 PM

Much has to do with the driver abilities. I think the Boxster did very well as the Boxster driver was just a bit faster.

BTW the white car was a 928 that they passed.

unklekraker 10-13-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
Much has to do with the driver abilities. I think the Boxster did very well as the Boxster driver was just a bit faster.

BTW the white car was a 928 that they passed.

ooops...i guess i need to hit the books again :cheers:

boggtown 10-13-2006 07:48 PM

WHAT!?! No drifting??? I thought you could knock off at least 10 seconds a lap if you drifted the corners. lol :rolleyes:

JP-s-in st. louis 10-13-2006 08:00 PM

You have watched to many F&F movies my friend... ;)

racer_troy 10-14-2006 05:54 AM

boxster hero...caymen zero...

i think JP has a great point...the boxster is giving up 35% in pwr and has a wider ratio gearbox...considering the only place the caymen gains is coming out of long sweepers into straights...the boxster driver is really the hero here...i just love watching him reel in the caymen through the twisties...where...given the caymen's inherent advantage (brakes and chassi stiffness)...by all rights the caymen should rule...however, the little 217bhp boxster is actually fit to pass...however, this was a DE and he was keeping a respectful and safe distance...actually, i fully expected the cayment driver to yield the course on the main straight...i know i would have to see what i could have picked up from the driver of a car with less bhp who was catching me in the twisties...it's the learning experience that counts...

thanks for sharing the video...it was great

cheers,

--troy

SD987 10-14-2006 06:53 AM

The part of the video that was edited out was the conversation between the two drivers where the Cayman driver admitted he forgot to release his parking brake before the laps...

EPIQTodd 10-14-2006 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
The part of the video that was edited out was the conversation between the two drivers where the Cayman driver admitted he forgot to release his parking brake before the laps...

Very funny.

Actually, it really shows you what a difference the driver makes. The Boxster driver was doing a GREAT job of keeping the momentum in the corners, allowing him to catch up to the Cayman driver, who pulled away on every section requiring horsepower, but got too slow in the corners. I could tell on the video (from enough track driving myself) that the Boxster driver was actually having to slow down in the corners because of the Cayman driver's slow corner speeds. Get that driver in a Boxster spec car and he will do really well...

Breezer 10-14-2006 08:30 AM

Great Post. Great Video.

z12358 10-14-2006 01:54 PM

Simple.
The Cayman driver rarely (if ever) "kissed" an apex and rarely (if ever) used the full extent of the course at track-out. The Box did all that on almost every turn. I would say the Box was a good White-group driver lapping with the Greens and the Cayman was a (bad) Green -- in DE group terms. Let the drivers switch cars, and the Cayman would lose the Box in a few seconds.

Z.