986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   European Delivery Stuttgart (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7738)

jk0001 10-13-2006 09:09 AM

European Delivery Stuttgart

Has anyone here done European Delivery of their cars? I did it thru BMW and it was a great experience, please share your observations. :cheers:

RandallNeighbour 10-13-2006 09:15 AM

I've always thought of doing it, but if you check the Porsche web site, they charge a hefty fee for doing it... unlike BMW who actually gives you a hefty credit on the car purchase.

That would certainly take some of the fun out of taking european delivery for me :cool:

jeffsquire 10-13-2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I've always thought of doing it, but if you check the Porsche web site, they charge a hefty fee for doing it... unlike BMW who actually gives you a hefty credit on the car purchase.

That would certainly take some of the fun out of taking european delivery for me :cool:

BMW's website not only offers discounts, but Lufthansa is linked on their site and they have great offers for 2nd persons to go on the flight.

chiefsalami 10-13-2006 01:08 PM

When that Z2 comes out (or preferably the M2), I will seriously consider buying it new and doing the european delivery of it.... mmmm mmm mmmm

bmussatti 10-13-2006 01:13 PM

European Delivery is $1,150 for the Boxster.

You still need to be careful with the car and respect the break-in period on the Autobahn!

ricklin 10-13-2006 01:20 PM

Yes you must observe the break in!

Better make it an S for the Euro delivery. At 4200 RPM in 6th you will be doing about 105 mph.

Don't ask me how I know.

chiefsalami 10-13-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricklin

Yes, that is what sucks about buying a new car, especially when you want to enjoy it like with European Delivery!

bmussatti 10-13-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricklin

Better make it an S for the Euro delivery. At 4200 RPM in 6th you will be doing about 105 mph.

Don't ask me how I know.

Bad boy....now go sit in the corner!! :)

SD987 10-13-2006 03:33 PM

A poster on another board just did an excellent write-up on his experience.

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=275426&an=0&page=0#27542 6

thomschoon 10-14-2006 03:44 AM

My only suggestion would be to buy a tomtom gps as they have the speed cameras programmed in and they take speeding fairly serious if you get caught. I spend a week a month 30km from Stuttgart and I take long winding drives through the country side and use the tomtom to get back to one of the main roads. The Autobahn can also look like rush hour in LA around Stuttgart (a10/a5/a8) so head past Frankfurt and let her rip. Last weekend I was going 225 kph in my rental when the Ferrari club went on by like I was standing still, it really is fun!!

Good luck, be safe

Rail26 10-14-2006 12:56 PM

If the engines are that precisely constructed...wouldn't it negate the break in period? I am starting to think the break in period is a hold over from the days where engine construction tolerances were not as precise. Sport bikes do not need a break in period....as long as the engine is at operating temperature it shouldn't matter. If metal shaving etc. were present...wouldn't Porsche require a oil change at 1000 miles? I religiously followed the break in period...but if it really made that much of a difference then why do the test drive cars at a dealership routinely go above 4000rpm? I think this might be out dated...what do you all think?

z12358 10-14-2006 01:13 PM

"...but if it really made that much of a difference then why do the test drive cars at a dealership routinely go above 4000rpm?"

That's why I would never buy a "demo" new car.