986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tire Date Codes (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77369)

rexcramer 03-13-2020 06:33 PM

Tire Date Codes

What is the MAX date code variance you would accept when buying a new tire? Manufacture date to install date.

Long story short, I ordered the same tire, from the same shop that I bought the now worn tire from in Jan-2017. The date code variance was +/- 10 weeks. Which seems reasonable.

The tires they just tried to sneak past me were manufactured in June-2018. +/- 18 months ago. I refused them and they are trying to find newer ones. They had an office full of customers and did not want to have this conversation in the open. Especially when I pointed out the sign over the tech's shoulder stating that age/time of the tire was as important as mileage. "replace them after 6 years regardless of mileage." I asked him if they would discount them 30%-40% to reflect their age and they declined. At that point management was in the loop and the best they good do was try and find a newer set. Still waiting to hear from them. Which is answer in of itself.

JayG 03-13-2020 06:36 PM

I would expect new tire to be that, new and not 18 months old

what tires and where were you buying them?

Qingdao 03-13-2020 06:39 PM

God I hate this... I work (as a mechanic) at a tire shop, and it pains me whenever one of the secretaries I employ up front sells a tire that is less than 5 years old. That's O.K. by their standards... It keeps me up at night.

I'd take it back. I'd ask for a newer tire. Be polite and give them time to order a newer tire (a week).

Oldest tire I'd accept is 1 year old MAX, but I work at a tire shop.

EDIT: in their defense it is hard to keep sport tires in new stock. Especially high performance tires because their sales are far and few between. Most sports car owners let their tires rot off and not burn them to nubs as they should.

rexcramer 03-13-2020 07:35 PM

Nothing to take back. I rejected them before they tried to mount them. They tried to explain to me the specialty tire issue and that it was impossible to get tires manufactured in the same year, etc. All of which I understand and can empathize with. They had to order them (non stock tire) of course. The original time they brought them in, 10 weeks from manufacture. This time 75 weeks.

I think I feel comfortable with +/- 6 months from manufacture. Qingdao's year feels like the the oldest I would be comfortable with. I thought this would be a good open question for the forum to debate.

The tires in question are Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 K120's 255/40/17 on the rear of a '97 Tip. I got 12,170 miles out of them. They wore really evenly and I should have replaced them 6 months/500 miles ago. No cords showing but they are done. I bought all four at the same time and are really pleased with them. The fronts are still in amazing shape. Local America's Tire that I have been using on/off for years, no complaints. Zero track/AX time on the tires. Just very spirited local canyon twisty stuff.

Qingdao 03-13-2020 07:48 PM

I was kinda aiming the rotted tire at a typical Corvette owner. LOL

You should be able to special order the tires from the tire shop... They'd probably be more inclined to order them if you bought a full set (the cashiers up front are really greedy).

I don't have a problem with one year old tires. Just because either I am buying sticky/quick wearing tires for one of my cars, or I am buying long lasting tires for my wife's car (she racks up miles and they'll wear out in less than 5 years).

Silver' 03-13-2020 08:06 PM

I know my tyres will last me two years max, so I am happy to search for and buy (heavily discounted) tyres baked up to 24 months ago.

My wife's tyres may last for four years so they need to be six months or less.

JayG 03-14-2020 05:48 AM

Ventus V12 EVO2 K120's are not that uncommon.

Tire Rack is a great place for tires, super customer service and great prices. If they shipped you old tires, a phone call to them would sort it out fast, and they would send you a new set

BYprodriver 03-14-2020 07:04 AM

Alot depends on how the tires are stored too.

thstone 03-15-2020 10:37 AM

1 year maximum.

I realize that there is shipping and storage involved in tires and they don't go bad overnight, but a tire should be "relatively" new, so that is where I would draw the line.

jcp 03-15-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 613337)

I didn't realize how touchy summer tires can be to cold. This from Tire Rack......

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

rexcramer 03-15-2020 07:19 PM

Update; My original source, America's Tire, brought a second pair in with the same date code. I told them no and they offered $50 off the pair. I told them no politely.

Tire Rack sales reps apparently can search their database and tell what date codes have been shipping recently. They have a pair from Summer 2019. +/- 8 months old.

I have another local vendor that will get back to me tomorrow. I have purchased from Tire Rack before and have zero complaints. I would like to keep the sales tax local if I can.

The general consensus is a year or less. That sounds reasonable to me. Thanks again for the insights.

BoxMann 03-17-2020 06:37 AM

My guideline is also 12 months max. But in the last year, I bought two sets of tires, one for the Boxster, one for my DD. The ones for the Boxster arrived and had a 3 years old DOT. Naturally, I refused them. They ordered a new set which were 8 months old. The tires for the DD were 4 months old. I only drive each car about 5k miles a year so I need a very fresh tire.

A big factor also is how much you drive. If you drive 20k miles a year and could get a good discount on a 2 yr old tire, I might do it. The tires will wear out long before they age out.

BYprodriver 03-17-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 613337)

I'm referring to storage between the time they are made & when they are mounted on a car. It's UV light that ages the rubber just like your skin. Florescent light emits UV rays also.

rexcramer 03-21-2020 12:43 PM

Baby got new shoes, finally

Received two new from Tire Rack and had them mounted today. Considerably newer date codes, 3219. Before and after pics below. I clearly like to live dangerously and am somewhat embarrassed to share these. I managed to squeak out 12,170 miles out of them. Which is +/- 1,000 miles more than I should have. They wore very evenly and none of the cords are showing.

Thanks again for every-bodies input.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1584823335.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1584823379.jpg

Qingdao 03-21-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 613762)
Received two new from Tire Rack and had them mounted today. Considerably newer date codes, 3219. Before and after pics below. I clearly like to live dangerously and am somewhat embarrassed to share these. I managed to squeak out 12,170 miles out of them. Which is +/- 1,000 miles more than I should have. They wore very evenly and none of the cords are showing.

Thanks again for every-bodies input.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1584823335.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1584823379.jpg

:D

Give your alignment guy a tip... NICE wear.

Anker 03-22-2020 06:02 AM

And lower your air pressure a bit to move wear from the center.

mgfranz 03-22-2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 613812)
And lower your air pressure a bit to move wear from the center.

Are you kidding, consider the fact that half of those miles Rex put on them was on the track...

piper6909 03-22-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfranz (Post 613816)
Are you kidding, consider the fact that half of those miles Rex put on them was on the track...

In that case that's all the more reason to lower the pressure. Tracking causes an increase in tire temps which increase pressure. When we went to DE, they specifically told us to let pressure out.

rexcramer 03-22-2020 08:45 AM

I typically run the front/rears at 29/36 per the recommendation.

And there are ZERO track miles on this car since I have owned it. And since it's a Tip, I can't even do a proper burnout.

The pavement in/on San Antonio Canyon and Glendora Mountain Ridge is very old and coarse. Such is the price of fun.