Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #1

Wink obc question

I was wondering the number of p-cars that everyone here is driving....what I mean is, when I am looking around for used p-cars for my 18y/o , I have noticed that most, if not all, the boxies I look at, none have the on board computer????was this an option that most owners didnt order or want?????just a thought....
I want this option for my son, but am having a hard time finding one, at least in Ga...maybe I'll just give him mine and buy the 89 911 I was looking at?....hummmmm....

J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
JTP

Even if the car didn't have the OBC option all Boxsters have the OBC embedded. It can be turned on and a 4 stalk column added or a dash switch added to access all the features.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Even if the car didn't have the OBC option all Boxsters have the OBC embedded. It can be turned on and a 4 stalk column added or a dash switch added to access all the features.
+1

Don't let that little option influance your choice of a boxster.. it can be turned on very easily
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #4

You Know How Kids Are!!!

I was just inquiring about it...since I bought my boxie, it has been such a "cool" little opt...just wondering why it is not common on alot of p-cars I see...I think I will be buying the 911 today, so wish me luck!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #5

well darn!!!!

Just got emergency call from a patient...looks like i am going in!!!!oh well...patients are more important than my cars!!!see ya soon guys!!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'sboxie
Just got emergency call from a patient...looks like i am going in!!!!oh well...patients are more important than my cars!!!see ya soon guys!!!!
That would depend on the patient...oh that Hippocratic oath thing always gets in the way.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #7

+1

i got someone else to go in!!!and yeah, sometimes its hard to balance fun and work...but it pays for my p-cars and living with a college student...lol
Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'sboxie
I was just inquiring about it...since I bought my boxie, it has been such a "cool" little opt...just wondering why it is not common on alot of p-cars I see...
According to the window sticker, the original owner of my car paid $449 for the OBC. That may explain its relative scarcity. Almost $500 to set a warning for excessive speed and see the gas mileage (which is a little optimistic on my car), average speed, outside temperature, and miles to empty might have seemed a little pricey to some buyers.

I like having it, but I might have thought twice about shelling out the Porsche option price for it.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #9

Well, winter is hitting hard in Germany right now, and every day I wish I knew the outside temp. The other functions are nifty, but that is one which is sometimes necessary

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:04 AM   #10
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflylow
Well, winter is hitting hard in Germany right now, and every day I wish I knew the outside temp. The other functions are nifty, but that is one which is sometimes necessary
You can have the OBC turned on by the dealer or an indie mech or someone with a PIWIS/PST2 and the outside temp will show on the dash. You don't need the extra stalk or install a toggle switch is temp is all you want to see. That is how mine is now, until I find a 4 stalk column at a reasonable price.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #11

i was thinking of turning it on too. but when i called the local dealer, they had no idea of what i was talking about. how much did it cost to "turn it on"? do most mechanics have the PIWIS/PST2? or is this something specific to porsche mechanics only?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #12

Some dealerships will enable the OBC and wish you a good day, some want to charge a fee, and yet others look at you dumbfounded. I remember seeing information -- I think on renntech -- with the exact screen sequence to enable the OBC.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #13

Garage
Durametric cable and software will enable the OBC and a number of other functions.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #14

OBC 4th stalk add question

I just turned on the OBC on my 2001 Boxster S using Duramatic. I also just ordered the 4-stalk Multifunction Switch (new) from Sonnen Porsche for only $194. I plan to remove the OBC stalk and attached it to my existing 3-stalk switch (avoid removing the steering wheel and messing with the Air Bag).

My question is, do I still have to make the cable to connect the 4th stalk to the instrument cluster, or does the OBC stalk simply plug in to an existing cable?

Thanks,

Tony Capoccia
2001 Boxster S
2011 Cayman S
tcapoccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #15

You still need to make the wiring harness to the cluster.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro