986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sun Visor Help (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77286)

Zibodo 02-29-2020 11:12 AM

Sun Visor Help

A few weeks ago I was putting the top of my 98 Boxster (104K miles) down and noticed that one of the screws that holds up the outer bracket for the sun visor was missing. I ordered some replacements (always get a spare) from Pelican and tried to replace the missing screw this weekend. I could not get the screw to catch on the nut-plate that is buried in the windscreen frame. I thought the screw might be too short, but checked again that it is the correct part. After much fussing, I took the whole visor off and discovered that the nut in the frame is brass, and split in a few places.
Does anyone have experience with this attachment?
Is the nut supposed to be split or is mine somehow broken?
If the nut is supposed to be split, how do you get the screw to catch on the threads?- longer screw?
If the nut is broken, is there anyway to replace it?
Any other options I'm not seeing?

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1583007111.jpg

Burg Boxster 02-29-2020 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Common issue... a few r&r ideas.

I did a write up many years back about replacing with nutserts.

Copy attached and I think Mike what's his name hosts a copy for me as well on his page or at least used to.

Good luck :)

Zibodo 02-29-2020 04:54 PM

Thanks a million he says before trying it. Looks like something I can do. This is why I love this forum!

Zibodo 03-06-2020 04:57 PM

So maybe I spoke too soon. I tried this today. First, I broke one of the clips on the trim strip that goes across the top of the windshield. Guess I can find a replacement on eBay. Next, I used a small flat blade screwdriver to split the broken brass nuts apart, then I tried to remove the pieces with a needle nose pliers. I was able to get a few of the smaller bits out, but at some point I tried to work out a larger piece, and it somehow popped out of the needle nose and disappeared. I think it went through the upper hole in the nut plate, and is now loose in the windshield frame. So I think I have two, maybe three options. Leave the loose pieces floating and hope that don’t rattle, remove the windshield and remove the loose pieces, or my last idea, inject expanding foam in the holes to try to capture the pieces so they won’t rattle.

Anyone experienced this? Anyone have a better suggestion?

TRP 03-07-2020 06:18 AM

Leave them. You won't notice them. Don't go shooting foam in there. That's crazy talk.

piper6909 03-07-2020 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRP (Post 612950)
Leave them. You won't notice them. Don't go shooting foam in there. That's crazy talk.

It doesn't sound so crazy to me. I think it's not a bad idea, if they're rattling.

I would, however, first drive around and listen for rattles. If there aren't any, leave them be and put the car back together.

Burg Boxster 03-10-2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zibodo (Post 612931)
So maybe I spoke too soon. I tried this today. First, I broke one of the clips on the trim strip that goes across the top of the windshield. Guess I can find a replacement on eBay. Next, I used a small flat blade screwdriver to split the broken brass nuts apart, then I tried to remove the pieces with a needle nose pliers. I was able to get a few of the smaller bits out, but at some point I tried to work out a larger piece, and it somehow popped out of the needle nose and disappeared. I think it went through the upper hole in the nut plate, and is now loose in the windshield frame. So I think I have two, maybe three options. Leave the loose pieces floating and hope that don’t rattle, remove the windshield and remove the loose pieces, or my last idea, inject expanding foam in the holes to try to capture the pieces so they won’t rattle.

Anyone experienced this? Anyone have a better suggestion?

Relax and go for a VERY spirited drive w/ lots of hard left and right corners. Loose pieces will settle into a spot where they no longer will rattle.

One a second car which I helped someone R&R their's, we had two pieces go rogue and faced your same dilemma. Figured we'd try an easy drive first to draw them back towards the hole. When that didn't work we figured there was nothing to lose. A good sweeping left hander at speed rattled them across the top rail to the passenger side. A second long left sent them tumbling down to what sounded like the base of the a-pillar never to be heard from again.

The hard part for you is over.

Good luck :)