Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #1

What to do, top down, heavy rain?

My old commander ( reason I bought a Boxster), went into work nice and sunny and when he came out for lunch it had been raining. Guess who left the top down. His seats are trash now. But the question is..

What should you do if that happens? Other than drying everything, any conditioner for the leather, carpet? pull any of the electric components to ensure they are dry before starting the car? Anything for the door skins or all the switches?

I won't leave my car unattended with the top down, just to many things can happen, but what if?

SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Racer Boy

Hopefully the ECU under the driver's seat didn't get wet. Otherwise he's REALLY hosed (haha). It sits in a recess under the seat and if it gets wet, he'll need to either replace it ($$$) or possibly get it repaired ($$).

If the seats are ruined, at least it's obvious what will need to be done to fix that.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #3

His computer is good. He drives it everyday and it happen a couple months ago. But his seats dried out and cracked badly. Was just wondering what others think or plan to do if this happens to them. I keep some absorbent cloths along with leather conditioner and detailing conditioner in the frunk, but not sure if thats enough or the right stuff.
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #4

What Racer Boy said. Focus on the Immobilizer under the driver's seat. If it got wet, take it out, open it up and soak it in rubbing alcohol to displace the water, then let it dry completely. If he's lucky, it didn't suffer any damage.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #5

Garage
I have thought about getting one of these for a little extra piece of mind. Seems a bit pricey for a plastic box, but cheaper than a new immobilizer I guess.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2020, 04:17 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

For what it is, the price of that box is criminal. Nothing a reasonable heavy duty plastic bag won't do. It's not like it's a moving part subject to a lot of access. But, hey, it looks cool.

I opted for this...

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-fit-Protector-Porsche-Boxster-986-1997/dp/B017JIQD2O

... and carry it with me if I'm heading to the hills or if there's a remote chance of rain. Also, it keeps the interior fairly cool upon returning to the car on a hot day.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
For what it is, the price of that box is criminal. Nothing a reasonable heavy duty plastic bag won't do. It's not like it's a moving part subject to a lot of access. But, hey, it looks cool.

I opted for this...

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-fit-Protector-Porsche-Boxster-986-1997/dp/B017JIQD2O

... and carry it with me if I'm heading to the hills or if there's a remote chance of rain. Also, it keeps the interior fairly cool upon returning to the car on a hot day.
That's a good option for some. But for me, by the time you put that up, you'd have the top up many times over. Also, at $100, some would opt to spent the $150 for the ECU box where you can install it and forget it. But I agree 200% that their price is criminal.

For me? I opted to drill a hole and put in a drain tube, so if any water gets in, it'll go out the drain tube. Cost? couple bucks. :dance:

Last edited by piper6909; 02-22-2020 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
That's a good option for some. But for me, by the time you put that up, you'd have the top up many times over. Also, at $100, some would opt to spent the $150 for the ECU box where you can install it and forget it. But I agree 200% that their price is criminal.

For me? I opted to drill a hole and put in a drain tube, so if any water gets in, it'll go out the drain tube. Cost? couple bucks. :dance:

Wow. You've got a clean looking undercarriage there. Makes me wonder what mine looks like.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:09 AM   #9

Garage
I think the drain hole is a good idea.

Are the failures usually from sudden down pours or from constant exposure to high humidity? I admit, I haven't done any research on that.

I have a small leak on the passenger side, and the carpet near the sill and under the seat will stay a little damp after a heavy rain if I dont vacuum, dry, etc.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
Wow. You've got a clean looking undercarriage there. Makes me wonder what mine looks like.
Thanks. And it has over 90K miles! While it's originally a Florida car, it spent its life in PA since 2010. Must have been garage kept its whole life, and it still is.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLImages View Post

Are the failures usually from sudden down pours or from constant exposure to high humidity? I admit, I haven't done any research on that.

I have a small leak on the passenger side, and the carpet near the sill and under the seat will stay a little damp after a heavy rain if I dont vacuum, dry, etc.

When I bought mine it had a damaged immobilizer because it was left outside in the rain. It seemed like they had completely dried it out. It still ran, but the windows & locks didn't work, so I was in no big hurry to repair it. A few months later, when I decided to do something about the immobilizer, I noticed that the padding was damp. The car never saw a drop of rain under my ownership so this was still water from the incident under the prior owner. I decided to take the seats out and removed the carpet. There's a pad attached to the carpet that's literally a sponge. I could squeeze it and water would drip out. It took 4 days sitting in the sun to completely dry out.

I recommend that you check the padding, and I'd bet you'll find it wet. Simply vacuuming out the water isn't enough. It's very possible that the "small leak" isn't that small and most of the water is hidden under the carpet. Unless your leak is dripping ON TOP of the carpet. If it leaks on top of the carpet, there's little chance that it will get into the padding because there's a pretty thick barrier between the two.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:18 AM   #12

Garage
It drips from the end of the rubber seal at the split where the top folds (pretty much the middle of the passenger window). The rubber seal is torn a little. I'll try and grab a pic of where it leaks. Most drips land right onto the arm rest lid. In a heavy down pour about 1 drip a minute.

I pulled the passenger seat fearing exactly what you said once I noticed the leak. But the "sponge" (haha, thats exactly what it is) seemed dry, carpet was damp, mainly right inside the sill. But I didnt completely remove the carpet. Just pulled up enough to feel around underneath. Since then, I have just been tossing a towel over there to catch the drips when I have to drive or park it in the rain. But with all the rain we've had down here lately its becoming more of a problem.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:12 AM   #13

Quote:
It drips from the end of the rubber seal at the split where the top folds (pretty much the middle of the passenger window). The rubber seal is torn a little. I'll try and grab a pic of where it leaks. Most drips land right onto the arm rest lid. In a heavy down pour about 1 drip a minute.

I pulled the passenger seat fearing exactly what you said once I noticed the leak. But the "sponge" (haha, thats exactly what it is) seemed dry, carpet was damp, mainly right inside the sill. But I didnt completely remove the carpet. Just pulled up enough to feel around underneath. Since then, I have just been tossing a towel over there to catch the drips when I have to drive or park it in the rain. But with all the rain we've had down here lately its becoming more of a problem.

You seem to be in good shape, then. I just wanted to give you a heads up.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK Shoe View Post
His computer is good. He drives it everyday and it happen a couple months ago. But his seats dried out and cracked badly. Was just wondering what others think or plan to do if this happens to them. I keep some absorbent cloths along with leather conditioner and detailing conditioner in the frunk, but not sure if thats enough or the right stuff.
If the seats are in really bad shape, they may be beyond repair. Some people have used a product called Leatherique with good results: Rejuvinator & P.C. Directions | Leatherique Restoration Products

Used Boxster or 996 seats are not hard to find at a reasonable price. Here's an example although this set has already been sold: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/77057-996-986-black-comfort-seats-sale-bay-area.html

The only challenge is adapting seats with the 8 or 12-way power function to a car that is equipped with the standard 2-way power seat. If your old commander decides to swap seats and it involves an upgrade this thread on Rennlist has instructions: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/915206-upgrading-two-way-power-seats.html

This thread may also be helpful: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/58080-full-power-seat-installation.html
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 02-23-2020 at 06:28 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:25 AM   #15
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

Hey, Handsome.

From out of the trunk and fully installed takes me less than 90 seconds (Yes, I've timed myself)

And the $100? The cover is bullet proof. It's very solid... and the "feel" of it resonates: It doesn't feel cheap.

That drain hole? Great move. I keep my drain holes clean and open... and 99% of the time don't drive in the rain (SoCal). However, for that $2 bucks... that's inexpensive insurance. Where'd you pick up that drain tube??

Old 02-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Hey, Handsome.

From out of the trunk and fully installed takes me less than 90 seconds (Yes, I've timed myself)

And the $100? The cover is bullet proof. It's very solid... and the "feel" of it resonates: It doesn't feel cheap.

That drain hole? Great move. I keep my drain holes clean and open... and 99% of the time don't drive in the rain (SoCal). However, for that $2 bucks... that's inexpensive insurance. Where'd you pick up that drain tube??

It's from a 911 headlight bucket. Part number 911.631.259

Pelican sells them and so do other sites.
Attached Images

Last edited by piper6909; 02-23-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #17

Quote:

From what I understand, the failures are generally from clogged drains, torn drain pans (they're made of a foam rubber and tear easily), and leaky roof.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #18
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
Quote:

But what if you've decided to drive into this puddle of water?

Last edited by JimmyBad; 02-23-2020 at 03:48 PM.
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBad View Post

But what if you've decided to drive into this puddle of water?
Why would I drive in that? The chances of getting caught in rain or leaving the car out in the rain are exponentially higher than me driving into flood waters. Besides, if you go in water that deep it'll find other ways into the cabin, anyways. Through the door jambs, wire penetrations, even cabin vents.

Also, I specifically used a drain tube instead of a bare hole so if I run over a puddle and splash water up, there's practically no chance of that water going all the way up the tube.

Last edited by piper6909; 02-23-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #20
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
Quote:
Why would I drive in that? The chances of getting caught in rain or leaving the car out in the rain are exponentially higher than me driving into flood waters. Besides, if you go in water that deep it'll find other ways into the cabin, anyways. Through the door jambs, wire penetrations, even cabin vents.

Also, I specifically used a drain tube instead of a bare hole so if I run over a puddle and splash water up, there's practically no chance of that water going all the way up the tube.
I agree. The cabin is not airtight and there are other areas where water can seep in, but you've introduced a new low point if I am not mistaken. I think it is best to just maintain the existing system and all will be fine. Just my point of view. Cheers.

Last edited by JimmyBad; 02-23-2020 at 03:48 PM.
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote