986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine Drop - 99 986 - Quick Jack successfully use to drop engine (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77212)

Eric-986 02-17-2020 02:22 PM

Engine Drop - 99 986 - Quick Jack successfully use to drop engine

My winter project is finally moving forward. 99 2.5 with a hole in one of the cam covers where the chain tried to get out....... replacement engine found, and step one was to get the bad engine out. (okay, step one was actually drain and disconnect lots, and remove lots more...... AC into the car, PS pump out, Alternator, starter out)

Drop tools used:
5000 slx Quick Jack
Harbor Freight Motorcycle Jack (with removable top extensions)
Furniture Dolly
Engine Support Bar

To get the engine out with the quick jack the following steps need to be followed.
0) Put car on quickjack, highest position (note, I mistakenly used only the shorter rubber blocks..... the car is low and taller blocks wouldn't fit without lifting the car)
1) Put engine support bar on top
2) Remove transmission
3) Remove Flywheel/Clutch/Pressure Plate (need to make the engine as "narrow" as possible when sideways)
4) remove suspension support brace
5) With motorcycle jack under the oil pan, lower the engine (at the highest quick jack position, the motorcycle jack will reach the engine with the extensions installed, this was with the shorter rubber blocks on the quick jack...)
6) Once engine is lowered, you need to transfer the engine from the motorcycle jack to the furniture dolly (needed some wood blocks and my regular jack to lift the engine off the motorcycle jack)
7) rotate the engine sideways, and carefully pull it between the opening in the suspension.
8) Now start transferring whatever the engine recycler didn't bother to leave on the replacement engine......

BUT, engine is out without having to take the car higher than the quick jack height....

Thought someone would be interested......

-Eric

piper6909 02-17-2020 04:45 PM

Nice work. I'm assuming you had to transfer the engine from the motorcycle jack to the furniture dolly in order to get the engine closer to the ground to have the clearance to slide it out? If that's the case, might I suggest an engine hoist and use it to raise the back of the car to give you enough clearance that way? Once the engine is out the back will be a lot lighter, so weight isn't a concern. I just can't recommend a good lift point, having never done a Porsche engine swap.

If necessary, you can use 4X4 blocks on top of the Quick Jack once you raised the back of the car, so you can get the engine hoist out of your way.

I've done this to raise Subarus enough to slide the tranny out.

maytag 02-17-2020 05:05 PM

Nice! That's the tough part!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Eric-986 02-17-2020 05:36 PM

Piper,
You are correct. The issue I had was raising the car higher once it’s up on the quick jack. It’s not clear what happens to the quick jack if you raise one end of the car. Probably nothing, but since the engine on the dolly was low enough to clear the rear suspension, it was easy to just to roll it out.

-Eric

Brian Minson 02-17-2020 06:39 PM

Here is how I dropped the motor in my 986 in my home garage. You can do it!

https://youtu.be/A0cQvWOHGVA

Brian :)

piper6909 02-18-2020 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Minson (Post 611890)
Here is how I dropped the motor in my 986 in my home garage. You can do it!

https://youtu.be/A0cQvWOHGVA

Brian :)

Nice vid, Brian! I subscribed!

Starter986 02-18-2020 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 611883)
Nice work. I'm assuming you had to transfer the engine from the motorcycle jack to the furniture dolly in order to get the engine closer to the ground to have the clearance to slide it out? If that's the case, might I suggest an engine hoist and use it to raise the back of the car to give you enough clearance that way? Once the engine is out the back will be a lot lighter, so weight isn't a concern. I just can't recommend a good lift point, having never done a Porsche engine swap.

If necessary, you can use 4X4 blocks on top of the Quick Jack once you raised the back of the car, so you can get the engine hoist out of your way.

I've done this to raise Subarus enough to slide the tranny out.

That last line is pure gold. Pure gold.

piper6909 02-18-2020 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 611901)
That last line is pure gold. Pure gold.

You're welcome! :D:D

RobT987 02-19-2020 04:20 AM

I used the quickjack truck extensions to get about 24" of lift to easily remove my transmission. I used RV leveling blocks to raise the quickjack in 2 steps.

RobThttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f08859ab4a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b04e19368c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...abcc626a52.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Gilles 02-19-2020 08:17 AM

Rob, thank you for the picture!

I have a question regarding the use of the quickjack..

It would be possible (and safe) to first, raise the car with the quickjack (instead of a floor jack), install jack stands and then remove the quickjack leaving the car on the jack stands? Thank you!

RobT987 02-19-2020 11:18 AM

I'm not sure it can be done as the quickjack uses the same jack points as what the jack stands would use. If there is a different set of jack points that doesn't interfere with the quickjack then it sounds feasible.

If you're concerned about the quickjack being safe to use with the extensions, I've had my Boxster up on the quickjack for over 2 months and it's been rock solid.

RobT

Gilles 02-19-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobT987 (Post 611991)
I'm not sure it can be done as the quickjack uses the same jack points as what the jack stands would use. If there is a different set of jack points that doesn't interfere with the quickjack then it sounds feasible.

If you're concerned about the quickjack being safe to use with the extensions, I've had my Boxster up on the quickjack for over 2 months and it's been rock solid.

RobT

Rob, actually my concern was not the use of jack points but more the way the quickjack raises and lowers the vehicle.

As I believe the quickjack raises and lowers the car in an 'arch movement' (not straight up and down) this means that when you want to lower the car it would slightly move forward, I am not sure if my explanation makes any sense.. :-(

piper6909 02-19-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 612015)
Rob, actually my concern was not the use of jack points but more the way the quickjack raises and lowers the vehicle.

As I believe the quickjack raises and lowers the car in an 'arch movement' (not straight up and down) this means that when you want to lower the car it would slightly move forward, I am not sure if my explanation makes any sense.. :-(

Well in that case, when you lift the car it would move slightly back. So when you lower it, it'll move slightly forward to it's original place on the floor.

RobT987 02-19-2020 03:21 PM

Gotcha. The quickjack does move in a small arc either forward or backward depending on how they have been oriented. The quickjack can also be used laterally across a vehicle which results in a slight sideways arc. The arc is more pronounced when using extensions.

RobT.

Eric-986 02-19-2020 04:43 PM

Thanks Rob. That 's how i'll raise it to put the engine back in. No one has explained an easy way to get the car higher with the quickjack.......

-Eric

elgyqc 02-19-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric-986 (Post 612023)
... No one has explained an easy way to get the car higher with the quickjack.......

-Eric

Rob explained above... 2 steps, raise the car high enough to put blocks under the 4 wheels, lower till the wheels take the weight then replace the rubber blocks on the Quickjack with higher ones... or with the extensions.

Eric-986 02-19-2020 05:48 PM

Sorry, I was responding to his explanation. Very clear now.....

-Eric