Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

97 Boxster / Durametric communication issues

I picked up a 97 Boxster back in July, and it has had some keyless entry / power locking / interior light / alarm issues from day 1. Basically, keyless entry and interior lights do not work, and I can only get the driver side door to lock with the key. Passenger side door will not lock, and alarm does not work. To troubleshoot, I removed the driver seat to check out the alarm box (which looks pretty new / no signs of water damage BTW). I forgot to disconnect the battery when I did this, and turned the ignition on while the seat was out. Now I have the airbag light. I've had great luck with my Audis and the RossTech VAG-COM set-up, so I bought the Durametric enthusiast cable to troubleshoot my alarm issues and reset the airbag light. The Durametric can see my car when connected, but can only access the DME and alarm modules. It cannot access the airbag, instrument cluster, ABS, or climate control modules. I contacted Durametric, and they replied:

"The modules you mention, those beyond the Engine and Alarm units, are accessed diagnostically via the car's "K2" bus. The Engine and Alarm are both found on the separate "K1" bus. It is very possible that a malfunctioning airbag unit interrupts communication on the K2 bus, preventing communication with the airbag and all other units accessed via K2. You might try disconnecting the airbag unit from the car and reconnecting Durametric to try to access the other modules in the car."

I have not disconnected the airbag module yet to try this because I am surprised that it would fail just from removing the seat w/ out disconnecting the battery. I've been searching for the past couple of weeks over multiple sites and forums to see if anyone else has encountered my issue on a 986 (or 996), and did not see anything like this. So any ideas here before I start pulling out the airbag module?

CDN97986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

What version of the software are you running? Is this, by any chance, a clone cable?
Old 09-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #3

This is the genuine cable from Durametric, and running the latest 6.5.1.4 version of the software. Thought about the clone from China, but sounded like it was more trouble than it was worth.
CDN97986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #4

Garage
You find the K2 signal on Pin 3 of the ODB2 connector with an orange/blue wire, while K1 is on standard Pin 7. There could be a broken wire, damaged connector etc.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:58 AM   #5

I have the same issue. Durametrics only sees my ECIU and Alarm, any ideas?
dreamboatannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:07 AM   #6

Back up story

Looking for some troubleshooting support on a 1999 Boxster equipped with 5 speed, M535 Alarm, M537 Seat Memory, M659 Onboard Computer, Auto Climate Control.

I replaced the turn signal stalk assembly about a year ago and didn’t get the airbag sensor lead snapped back into place, it bounced off and the airbag light came on a couple of days later.

Finally ordered the Durametric software and it cannot see anything except the ECU and Alarm Control Unit.

I do understand there are two data busses on the car with the ECU and Alarm unit are on the K1 bus and the other units are on the K2 bus.

I’m not even sure what modules you can even talk to on the 1999. Anyone have any info about the Instrument Panel, ABS, Airbag, Air Cond, & Seat Memory modules.

Short Test Results
Bosch Digital Motor Electronics Motronic 5.2.2
No Faults Found
ABS/PSM 5.3
Blank
Airbag B05
No Faults Found, but light is on
Automatic Air Conditioning H01
Blank
Alarm I32
No Faults Found
Seat Memory
No Faults Found
Instrument Cluster K01-K03
No Faults Found

When I try to connect to an individual module, only the ECU and Alarm show connections and part numbers, everything else shows it cannot connect…………

Communications Error Unable to connect to this module.
This may not be an indication of a problem if the car is not equiped with this control module.

My question is, does anyone have any good troubleshooting ideas? I have worked in electronics my entire life and know one of the units might be bad and screwing up the bus data. I’m not sure if they are serial data busses with one unit looping thru the next or all the units just sit on the bus and talk when addressed. My only thoughts are to pull the other modules off, except the airbag unit and see if I can talk to it…...
dreamboatannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #7

CDN97986: I had this same issue in my car. Passenger door wouldn't lock and alarm could not be engaged.

Turned out to be the locking mechanism in the passenger door. It needed to be replaced.

What makes the replacement challenging is that the 98-2002 passenger door mechanism is interchangeable because of the side airbags installed in the doors. Since our MY doesn't have side airbags the part is unique to the MY and in turn, is not stocked as frequently and costs more to replace.

It was also a pain in the butt to swap out because the triple star bolt pattern is not an easy tool to find.

So, if I were you I'd swap out this part and then try attaching the durametric cable and see if it all works better for you. That side airbag must have something to do with the locking assembly.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboatannie View Post
Back up story

Looking for some troubleshooting support on a 1999 Boxster equipped with 5 speed, M535 Alarm, M537 Seat Memory, M659 Onboard Computer, Auto Climate Control.

I replaced the turn signal stalk assembly about a year ago and didn’t get the airbag sensor lead snapped back into place, it bounced off and the airbag light came on a couple of days later.

Finally ordered the Durametric software and it cannot see anything except the ECU and Alarm Control Unit.

I do understand there are two data busses on the car with the ECU and Alarm unit are on the K1 bus and the other units are on the K2 bus.

I’m not even sure what modules you can even talk to on the 1999. Anyone have any info about the Instrument Panel, ABS, Airbag, Air Cond, & Seat Memory modules.

Short Test Results
Bosch Digital Motor Electronics Motronic 5.2.2
No Faults Found
ABS/PSM 5.3
Blank
Airbag B05
No Faults Found, but light is on
Automatic Air Conditioning H01
Blank
Alarm I32
No Faults Found
Seat Memory
No Faults Found
Instrument Cluster K01-K03
No Faults Found

When I try to connect to an individual module, only the ECU and Alarm show connections and part numbers, everything else shows it cannot connect…………

Communications Error Unable to connect to this module.
This may not be an indication of a problem if the car is not equiped with this control module.

My question is, does anyone have any good troubleshooting ideas? I have worked in electronics my entire life and know one of the units might be bad and screwing up the bus data. I’m not sure if they are serial data busses with one unit looping thru the next or all the units just sit on the bus and talk when addressed. My only thoughts are to pull the other modules off, except the airbag unit and see if I can talk to it…...
Same problems, nothing helps, anyone got a solution? 97 2.5 tip boxster

Tims is offline   Reply With Quote