Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 07:28 AM   #1

Smile grille for 986

I am really tempted in getting a smile face bumper grille for my 986. I love them on the 987's, but when seeing them on 986's not so sure, because of the way the edges get so close to the headlights, since obviously they weren't made with 986's in mind.
Does anyone know if there's anybody who makes them specifically for the 986/996?

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster View Post
I am really tempted in getting a smile face bumper grille for my 986. I love them on the 987's, but when seeing them on 986's not so sure, because of the way the edges get so close to the headlights, since obviously they weren't made with 986's in mind.
Does anyone know if there's anybody who makes them specifically for the 986/996?
I looked a couple of years ago and there weren't. Went with the 987 on a 986 and regretted it. Hated the fit and replaced the ruined bumper.
Just my opinion, don't.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #3

IMHO to do it right you need a GT3RS bumper cover. The only one I know of for the 986 headlight shape was made by GT3tek (pic below) but I don’t know anything about the company and I can’t find one for sale. If I could get this exact bumper in polyurethane I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

To do it really right, it needs to be functional. This involves inverting the center radiator and altering the ducting. There’s an old thread on this here somewhere. Otherwise the center radiator vents to the bottom of the car as designed and the upper vents are not functional.

Alternatively, you could cut the existing bumper cover and add sturdy grill material / structure support just to get the look (if you are very experienced with polyurethane body work).

Here’s a real 996 gt3rs bumper cover but it won’t fit a 986 due to he headlight differences (and it costs serious $$$$$).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-14-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote