986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pieces of Foam in Air Vents (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76970)

BoxMann 01-08-2020 10:00 AM

Pieces of Foam in Air Vents

I noticed little pieces of black foam insulation getting stuck in my air vents. I pulled most of them out with a pair of needle nose pliers, but they keep coming. Must be breaking off somewhere upstream.

Where is this likely coming from? Anything simple I can do to stop this from coming? If not, what's the easiest way to clean it up -- pliers? vacuum?

Thanks.

piper6909 01-08-2020 10:10 AM

It's coming from wither the flap that controls air flow or the one that controls the air mix. Here's a thread with info and I think there's a solution in here as well:

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/42802-interior-vent-debris-6.html

BoxMann 01-08-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 609632)
It's coming from wither the flap that controls air flow or the one that controls the air mix. Here's a thread with info and I think there's a solution in here as well:

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/42802-interior-vent-debris-6.html

Thanks. Just took a look. Seems that it's a big, expensive PITA to make the problem go away. Maybe I'll just live with it for awhile, and if down the road there is a necessary HVAC repair, I can deal with it at that time as a "while you're in there" job.

piper6909 01-08-2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMann (Post 609634)
Thanks. Just took a look. Seems that it's a big, expensive PITA to make the problem go away. Maybe I'll just live with it for awhile, and if down the road there is a necessary HVAC repair, I can deal with it at that time as a "while you're in there" job.

You're welcome. I'm having the same issue with mine and I, too, have put off doing anything about it. Eventually I will, though.

bg305 01-08-2020 10:26 AM

Hi Boxman..

If you don't mind removing the stereo and cutting a bit of plastic you can easily do it in a couple of hours.. see post 37 and 38 here: http://986forum.com/forums/515250-post37.html

I just did it myself and it went much better then expected...

bg305 01-08-2020 10:28 AM

Here are more pictures I took when doing it..
http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/76906-new-headunit-usb-mic-integration.html

piper6909 01-08-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bg305 (Post 609639)

thanks, bg305. I was thinking of going that route,but wasn't sure. Knowing that it's not as bad as it looks helps push me in the direction of doing it.

Starter986 01-08-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 609637)
You're welcome. I'm having the same issue with mine and I, too, have put off doing anything about it. Eventually I will, though.

Right!!!??? Fortunately I live in a warm climate but, sooner or later, and when I run out of other unecessary stuff to do, I'll attend to it. You should drive out here and we'll do themn both at the same time. I'll even throw in a MAGA hat.

piper6909 01-08-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 609642)
Right!!!??? Fortunately I live in a warm climate but, sooner or later, and when I run out of other unecessary stuff to do, I'll attend to it. You should drive out here and we'll do themn both at the same time. I'll even throw in a MAGA hat.

You're on! :D:D I'll bring a torch for the hat! ;)

DC Jeff 01-08-2020 11:14 AM

I'm wondering why they used foam in the first place. Anyone notice any problems with taping over the holes? I would think the foam would allow some air to flow through even when closed?

GLImages 01-08-2020 01:29 PM

My amateur theory is a plastic door would be too flimsy to seal when warm, solid metal door too heavy for movement mechanism and probably noisey when closing. The foam softens and lightens the door. A solid door would block all air one direction or the other when/if it fails, when the foam is gone you at least get 'some' air where it needs to go. There's probably a cost factor too.

Foam covered blend doors seem fairly common, at least on VAG cars. I think my Dodge pickup does as well as its been shooting black foam out the vents just like the boxster. Haha.

Rob175 01-09-2020 05:19 AM

Every summer I use a tweezers to pull out a few foam pieces caught caught by the vents while others just shoot out on their own on my 98' Boxster. Since the heat and AC seem to working perfectly and the car is 20 yrs old I plan on doing NOTHING....lol.

BoxMann 01-09-2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bg305 (Post 609639)

I also just installed the Pioneer 2550 (well, I didn't do it, I had a guy do the install). I asked him about the mic install the way you did it and he said you have to have the full mic exposed, not just the tip. Mine is installed at the base of the steering column, barely noticeable. Nice job on the USB.

bg305 01-09-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMann (Post 609691)

I also just installed the Pioneer 2550 (well, I didn't do it, I had a guy do the install). I asked him about the mic install the way you did it and he said you have to have the full mic exposed, not just the tip. Mine is installed at the base of the steering column, barely noticeable. Nice job on the USB.

I thought about that because the mic has openings on the side as well as the front. That is the reason I have not secured it in any way, I can pull it out. I figured I would try it and see just have not gotten much opportunity with winter. I did get it out last week that day it was 50 and sunny, and all the prior rain had cleaned the roads. It worked pretty well but I did not have the top down, hoping maybe if Saturday is really 60 that might happen :) (if the rain holds out). Would be great to get a top down day in January in NY 😁

Pepik 01-11-2020 04:13 PM

On my dearly departed 986, I would keep a pair of those locking tweezers (hemostats) in the car and pick out the pieces stuck in the vents at stoplights. It was kind of soothing, I guess?

Rob175 01-12-2020 07:41 AM

FUNNY....I too keep a locking tweezers (hemostats) in my car for the exact same reason.......LOL

bg305 01-13-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bg305 (Post 609722)
I thought about that because the mic has openings on the side as well as the front. That is the reason I have not secured it in any way, I can pull it out. I figured I would try it and see just have not gotten much opportunity with winter. I did get it out last week that day it was 50 and sunny, and all the prior rain had cleaned the roads. It worked pretty well but I did not have the top down, hoping maybe if Saturday is really 60 that might happen :) (if the rain holds out). Would be great to get a top down day in January in NY 😁

I did get out over the weekend both days in fact. Had a conversation with the mic on the phone top down at 55 mph with Windows up. It worked great so I think it's safe to say only the front has to be fully exposed. I'm still going to leave mine the way it is to play with it a little more but it worked well.