Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #1

Think theres something wrong with this 02 sensor?

This is the 02 sensor that is after the cat on the drivers side. I changed the two post cat sensors today. I couldnt get the pre-cat sensors out and ran out of time. The car seems to run worse with the new 02's , this makes me happy.

This is the same 02 sensor the passanger side looked just fine.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #2

Hi,

Did you disconnect the Battery prior to changing the Sensors? (if not, why not? Good idea to disconnect the Battery when replacing any electrical equipment). Anyway, if you did, the DME lost it's adaptive memory and will need to relearn. If you did not, I'd say disconnect it (Radio code in-hand), and reconnect it to initialize the same procedure. I bet this cures all your ills. BTW, did you buy model specific or universal replacement sensors? That removed sensor looks pretty nasty - further testament that they should be replaced at, or about, 30k mi...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:46 AM   #3

In addition to what Jim said, one should replace all four at once, which sends the DME far better information... older ones aren't as sensitive as the new ones and the readings can be off substantially.

If you have the other two and haven't replaced them yet, get busy!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #4

Im working on it believe me. I just went to the auto parts store for some PB blaster to soak the remaining two 02's. Yes I disconnected the battery but in another post you will see that my maf is bad again.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #5

i wonder if your car is running lean. supercharged, no? those things are pretty melted....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
i wonder if your car is running lean. supercharged, no? those things are pretty melted....
Yes, supercharged. The first day after the install I almost melted the back of the car off. It had a bent piece of duct work which caused a huge vacuum leak. The driverside cat became cherry red. I believe this is when the 02 sensor melted. The pic is the same 02 sensor. The passanger side looked good. Atleast the ones I could get out.

Update, all four are changed now. For some reason there are days when everything goes my way working on the car. Other days I would pull my hair out (if I had any) Now I just must wait for the new MAF.

Last edited by ohioboxster; 10-09-2006 at 11:16 AM.
ohioboxster is offline   Reply With Quote