Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
01 Seal Gray 986 S

USB lighter replacement with our without cap?

I picked up one of the usb cig lighter replacements. It fits pretty well and I was able to get the lighter apart (in one piece and un-damaged) following this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Mjy7RXh2o (thanks to that guy, great video!)

The usb kit came with this cover, and I cannot decide whether or not to use it. I like the idea of it, but odds are I am going to always be using it (android auto and charging). Also I think i like the way the unit sits better without it in the plastic...

Thoughts? should the cover stay or go?

With Cover:

Without:

bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Also I am doing a double din replacement, (Pioneer AVH-2550 NEX) anyone figure out a way to install double din without butchering the center piece?

The accepted method seem to be to cut everything marked in red with a multi tool. Which I can do, it just hurts my soul. I am thinking about trying to find another piece to cut, but wanted to see if there were any other clever solutions.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #3

Garage
That looks good without the cover. Much cleaner than with the cover, looks OEM.

One question I have is, do you use a battery tender using the cigarette lighter? I normally plug in my charger through that port. But I do have another charger that can go through to the Frunk.

One last thing, I didn't know you had to do that much cutting when putting in a double din stereo. I did order one for my Christmas present this year. Please update how you do the install. I would be interested in other options for the install.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Buy the trim which is already formed for the double DIN instead and keep yours intact to return to standard if ever needed.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That “might go back to stock” thing is total hoarder mentality.
Do what you want, and do it now. If you want a double din, hack it up and install one.

You can always buy a replacement if you decide to go back to a single din, but we all know that’s not really going to happen
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Without. and 10 characters
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg305 View Post
I picked up one of the usb cig lighter replacements. It fits pretty well and I was able to get the lighter apart (in one piece and un-damaged) following this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Mjy7RXh2o (thanks to that guy, great video!)

The usb kit came with this cover, and I cannot decide whether or not to use it. I like the idea of it, but odds are I am going to always be using it (android auto and charging). Also I think i like the way the unit sits better without it in the plastic...

Thoughts? should the cover stay or go?
With the cover.

From where did you purchase the part? Link?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Here is the link to the USB unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWGYM16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_bia_widget_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I decided to go without the cover and followed Particlewaves advise and chopped up the dash piece i had.

Happy with the way it came out.

I had to respray the bottom because it was chipped up with the design sparkle paint..

Also did 78F350's [Edit: Sorry I messed up my attribution!] fix for the foam in the vents while I was in there (had the multitool handy). Covered it in the 3m 300 degree tape. Happy with the way it came out. Big thanks! Will get some pics up to show how it came out in a bit.

Waiting for Christmas now for the kids to give me the stereo so I can put it all back together :P

Last edited by bg305; 12-27-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
That looks good without the cover. Much cleaner than with the cover, looks OEM.

One question I have is, do you use a battery tender using the cigarette lighter? I normally plug in my charger through that port. But I do have another charger that can go through to the Frunk.
I do use a NOCO Genius G3500 but I don't plug it in to the lighter. I leave the frunk open on the second latch and pull the frunk light out for the winter.

Brian
Old 12-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
01 Seal Gray 986 S

I just wanted to update that I completed the installation. Since this thread was focused on the USB part specifically, I created a new thread for the whole thing here: http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/76906-new-headunit-usb-mic-integration.html#post608885