Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2019, 10:39 PM   #1

Windows locks not working

Had some water get in to my 2001 Boxster

The Windows gonup and down when I close the door.

-switch is working well (tested)
-removed, cleaned,dried the immobilizer
-radio never worked since I bought the cat
-locks do not work
-key fob does not work
Fuses are good including the one in the immobilizer.

Is there a way to rule out the immobilizer?
Anything else I can do?

Thank you

Porsche54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I am not sure what you mean by 'window locks'? Do you mean buttons?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I am not sure what you mean by 'window locks'? Do you mean buttons?
The windows work when you open the door , they go down an inch. But when you press the window button they do not react at all. I tested the switch and it looks good.

The door locks dont work with the button.

The key fob does not work.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche54321 View Post
The windows work when you open the door , they go down an inch. But when you press the window button they do not react at all. I tested the switch and it looks good.

The door locks dont work with the button.

The key fob does not work.
I had the same symptom when I bought mine. The problem was the immobilizer that had gotten wet when the previous owner had it.

Take out your immobilizer, open it up and check for any corrosion on the board.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
My guess is you still have issues related to the immobilizer getting wet. The fact that both of your windows drop on opening is a good thing. The chances of both of your windows not working at the same time are remote at best. Then add in your key fob not working at the same time.

If you have a multi-meter and experience, you need to start tracing circuits. There is a plug from the door to the A-pillar. My driver side plug got water in it and caused several issues/problems. Mostly window issues. The locks, window, lights and sound run through that plug. Check and see if it is dry.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
My guess is you still have issues related to the immobilizer getting wet. The fact that both of your windows drop on opening is a good thing. The chances of both of your windows not working at the same time are remote at best. Then add in your key fob not working at the same time.

If you have a multi-meter and experience, you need to start tracing circuits. There is a plug from the door to the A-pillar. My driver side plug got water in it and caused several issues/problems. Mostly window issues. The locks, window, lights and sound run through that plug. Check and see if it is dry.
We did some testing from the switch back to the immobilizer, it's a bit confusing cause some wires leading to the window motor have a current even though the immobilizer is not plugged in. I guess the immobilizer just sends a signal and not the actual current to activate the window.

We cleaned up the immobilizer with alcohol, we scraped connectors as much as we could. Nothing changed the inside of the door seems dry, but I will keep an eye out for that plug. Z

I am assuming the immobilizer is broken.

1.Can I buy pass this enough so that the windows at least work ?

2 Can I buy some sort of bypass unit

3 can I test the actual parts of the microchip somehow or have some one test it.

4. Is it possible to fix the microchip.

5. Does anyone know where one can purchase a cheap aftermarket or used one

6. Does any one want to buy a 2001 Boxster from Montreal

Thanks guys for all your advice.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #7

Also, i was doing some reading, it says that the ignition switch could cause electrical issues. Do my symptoms reflect that of a 20$ ignition switch?(I think that was the part)

I'm fairly confident it was related to water infiltration as it rained heavily the night before. But I must say, when. Inspecting the immobilizer visually, it looks fine unlike what most the posts say
Old 01-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I had the same symptom when I bought mine. The problem was the immobilizer that had gotten wet when the previous owner had it.

Take out your immobilizer, open it up and check for any corrosion on the board.
It looks fine could it be the ignition switch ?
Old 01-10-2020, 02:54 AM   #9

Quote:
It looks fine could it be the ignition switch ?
I guess it's possible, but in my case with the exact same symptoms it was the immobilizer.

You believe water infiltration caused it, how much water did you get in? Any puddling at all on the floor?

It's possible you got water on the immobilizer, but it hadn't corroded yet. If it got wet at all, it may still be wet under the relays where you can't see it.

If you suspect it got wet or damp at all, douse it with rubbing alcohol to displace the water and then let it dry out thoroughly.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #10
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
You might consider talking with this company. They can rehab your unit. ecudoctors.com/pages/porsche

A faulty ignition switch can also cause several issues. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch.htm

Stay with it, don't give up and report back what you find.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
I guess it's possible, but in my case with the exact same symptoms it was the immobilizer.

You believe water infiltration caused it, how much water did you get in? Any puddling at all on the floor?

It's possible you got water on the immobilizer, but it hadn't corroded yet. If it got wet at all, it may still be wet under the relays where you can't see it.

If you suspect it got wet or damp at all, douse it with rubbing alcohol to displace the water and then let it dry out thoroughly.
Thank you, I already took out the immobilizer, put it in alcohol, dried it out and cleaned the contacts as best I can.

I am Debating taking a heat gun to the microchip. I think this may melt the welds a bit to get a better contact.

I'm a bit worried it may make it worse, maybe the solder will just seperate from the various pins.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
You might consider talking with this company. They can rehab your unit. ecudoctors.com/pages/porsche

A faulty ignition switch can also cause several issues. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch.htm

Stay with it, don't give up and report back what you find.
If I end up using them, I will let you know how it went. From their site it sounds like it is not the ignition as there are no problems starting. The problems seem isolated to windows locks and radio
Old 01-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you, I already took out the immobilizer, put it in alcohol, dried it out and cleaned the contacts as best I can.

I am Debating taking a heat gun to the microchip. I think this may melt the welds a bit to get a better contact.

I'm a bit worried it may make it worse, maybe the solder will just seperate from the various pins.
It seems like you're pretty comfortable doing that, but I'd be very careful about using a heat gun on it.

I swapped the EEPROM from my damaged one into a replacement unit, but it's not for the feint of heart. There are so many tiny components nearby, and they can easily drift out of alignment from their pads.

I practiced many times on junk boards before I dove in.

To prevent the solder from separating, you can dab some flux on the pins. That should help keep the solder on the pins and pads.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
It seems like you're pretty comfortable doing that, but I'd be very careful about using a heat gun on it.

I swapped the EEPROM from my damaged one into a replacement unit, but it's not for the feint of heart. There are so many tiny components nearby, and they can easily drift out of alignment from their pads.

I practiced many times on junk boards before I dove in.

To prevent the solder from separating, you can dab some flux on the pins. That should help keep the solder on the pins and pads.

Good luck.
Hmm, how did you know the eeprom was the issue?
Maybe I can just try to apply the heat only to the eeprom with a soldering gun.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:00 AM   #15

Quote:
In my case the eeprom was not the issue, it was the board itself. I took my eeprom from my bad board and put it onto a good board.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:42 AM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Your immobilizer is faulty. The issue will be (at least partly) in the onboard relays and no amount of alcohol or heat will fix that.
No offense, but it sounds like you know just enough to really destroy your immobilizer. Please don’t use a heat gun on it.

You really should send it to a professional or replace the ECU, DME and transponder pill with a matched used set.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:00 AM   #17

Look up Qmulus. He's a member on here that fixes immobilizers for a fraction of the cost of ECU Doctors or the cost of new. The last thing you want to do is apply a soldering iron to the eeprom.

I'd have gone with him, but I'm the type to tinker on my own. But sometimes I end up screwing things up more haha! But in this case I got lucky.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:47 AM   #18

Garage
There have to be companies in Montreal that repair car electronics and that can test and replace parts that are defective on your board. I had mine repaired in Ottawa and I bought a new one thinking it wouldn't work so now I have a spare.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #19

I found someone that has the immobilizer from a 2002(mine is 2001).

Now assuming it's compatible what would it take to program it. How much would just programing cost?

He is not sure if it works, is there a way to test it unprogramed ?

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #20

Quote:
I found someone that has the immobilizer from a 2002(mine is 2001).

Now assuming it's compatible what would it take to program it. How much would just programing cost?

He is not sure if it works, is there a way to test it unprogramed ?

Thanks for all the advice.
The dealer would have to program it. Or you can send both units out to ECU Doctors, or Qmulus who can transfer the programming too. I've priced repairs from but ECU and Qmulus, and Qmulus was a fraction of the cost.

Just make sure you have then properly labeled.