Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #1

Boxster 986 - questions

So, me again with a looooots of questions 😊

My car is here in this thread – http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/76716-my-first-porsche.html

As said it is my first Porsche, I used to have BMW Z, then replace it with a bike Honda CBR and it was huge mistake 😊 I love driving cabrio, you can feel the wind, you can see great view on a nice road, listen to music, talk with someone, smoke (I am a smoker ☹ ) and all this was missing with the bike, so I sold it and now I am back to driving something that really makes me happy – convertible!

So, I bought the Porsche a little bit by accident. The car was for sale in the Huyndai official dealership, they bought it back from a guy buying a new Hyundai and was for sale entire summer. But the photos were bad and In Bulgaria convertibles are not very popular (bad roads, not very wealthy country and so on), so they were not able to sell it during the season and in November (start of winter here) after a lot of negotiations this beauty became mine at a very good deal.

And here my problems appear 😊 Just to imagine how rare such cars here are – at the time of writing this there only 16 Boxsters for sale in Bulgaria. And I am not talking only 986s. All models of Boxster – only 16 listings.

So, as you can presume – it is hard to find a mechanic that is familiar with such car and I will really need your help with advices. Not to mention the total lack of parts and so. But because it is hard doesn’t mean that you have to leave it 😊

And here are what I need to do and what I will need help with:

1. Initial servicing – anything tricky with that? I will replace oil, fluids, filters, brakes and so and I will appreciate recommendations on anything else I should take care of. Tried searching the forum for a simple “what to do” as initial service, but was not able to find such tread.

2. Biggest issue with the car yet – the top. You can see in the images that there is one broken “leg”, which is part of the top mechanism, but also it is missing some parts. Also, I have this long cable under the wheel, which I suppose should be
connected with the top’s motor. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

3. Passenger air bag – looks like the cover is not for the same model as it appears not to be fixed as it should be. Is this possible or do you think that I should just push it harder?

4. Wheel – I am not sure that this is original wheel for the car. And also looks like that the airbag was open somewhen as the center of the wheel feels cracked. What do you think – should I look for new wheel or at least for new airbag?

5. Ignition – there is this problem – when I turn the key to start the car the key should turn back a little. Mine doesn’t always do that and the car is working, but the wipes and lights are not. When I manually turn It back it is all good. Maybe I should replace the ignition.

6. IMS bearing – guys, what is this ☹ I am a lawyer and English is not my native language, so could someone explain it very simple – should I be worried, should I replace it and if so where to buy it?

7. Interior parts – I am missing some of them or need to replace (covers on the sensor near the mirror, ashtray is not working, the key for the armrest, the light inside should be replaced, the center console disk holder is useless). Should I be looking in ebay and pelican parts? Any other sources for such small things?

8. The box behind seats – I have seen cars with a nice box, which is mounted behind the seats. What is the name of this thing in English and any idea where to buy it from?

Enough questions for now, right 😊
I will really appreciate any advices. Of course, will keep searching the forum and hope to find answers by myself.
Thanks! This is great community and I am happy to be here 😊

monopola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #2

I guess I'd go to a Volkswagen dealer and ask the service writer where to get it serviced. Your alternative is to take a road trip to Germany and find a dealer there.

For parts, try to find them in the EU, it will save time, shipping fees, and import duties. Most of the parts are made in Germany, you know.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 12-13-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
01 Seal Gray 986 S

I am new as well so take everything in the context of that knowledge..

Quote:
Originally Posted by monopola View Post
So, me again with a looooots of questions 😊
1. Initial servicing – anything tricky with that? I will replace oil, fluids, filters, brakes and so and I will appreciate recommendations on anything else I should take care of. Tried searching the forum for a simple “what to do” as initial service, but was not able to find such tread.
I did my own oil.. you need a new crush washer before you put the plug back or it will leak. 9qts of mobile 1. I inspected the oil for any debris and ripped open the old filter to see what was caught in it. Found absolutely nothing which made me feel better about #6 below.

I also cleared out the water drains you don't want a wet immobilizer.

I am going to do plugs over the winder and inspect the coil packs when I do. Not planning on replacing them unless they are cracked.

I also purchased a good scantool for reading / resetting porsche ECM and other systems. I have a feeling this will be a worthwhile investment.

Quote:
2. Biggest issue with the car yet – the top. You can see in the images that there is one broken “leg”, which is part of the top mechanism, but also it is missing some parts. Also, I have this long cable under the wheel, which I suppose should be
connected with the top’s motor. Any ideas what I should be looking for?
I know you can any there as a part (albeit expensive) from porsche. Most everything I have touched on the car has a part number stamped on it. Usually starts with a 986 or 996 if it works for both cars.

Quote:
3. Passenger air bag – looks like the cover is not for the same model as it appears not to be fixed as it should be. Is this possible or do you think that I should just push it harder?
Not sure.. careful messing with the airbag. It definitely looks different then my 01 S. Are you sure it is an airbag? Almost looks like a "filler" for the spot. Any airbag markings on it?

Quote:
4. Wheel – I am not sure that this is original wheel for the car. And also looks like that the airbag was open somewhen as the center of the wheel feels cracked. What do you think – should I look for new wheel or at least for new airbag?
Does not look like my 3 spoke. Airbag looks right.

Quote:
5. Ignition – there is this problem – when I turn the key to start the car the key should turn back a little. Mine doesn’t always do that and the car is working, but the wipes and lights are not. When I manually turn It back it is all good. Maybe I should replace the ignition.
I know some have mentioned a "hard to turn" ignition. Seems to be a common issue but not one I have had. Do a search, you should see some ideas.

Quote:
6. IMS bearing – guys, what is this ☹ I am a lawyer and English is not my native language, so could someone explain it very simple – should I be worried, should I replace it and if so where to buy it?
This one everyone has an opinion on. I think you will just have to try to read up as best you can and form your own. Lot's of people say if it has not blown by now you are likely fine. Check the oil, enjoy it, and when you change the clutch, address it then (and then there are many options when doing so). It made me feel better when I saw my filter that was in the whole year and drove at least 4k with the oil in there was perfectly clean. My car has 51k miles, when it needs it first clutch I will do something.

Quote:
7. Interior parts – I am missing some of them or need to replace (covers on the sensor near the mirror, ashtray is not working, the key for the armrest, the light inside should be replaced, the center console disk holder is useless). Should I be looking in ebay and pelican parts? Any other sources for such small things?
Occasionally you might see a thread pop up with parts cars, I do not know about the shipping to your country and if that will present an issue. You can get new parts but they are super expensive and will add up quick. I would find ways to get alerted if any parts cars show up near you and grab as much as you can. Otherwise, ebay, of course..

Quote:
8. The box behind seats – I have seen cars with a nice box, which is mounted behind the seats. What is the name of this thing in English and any idea where to buy it from?
You mean: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/98655122300EMY.htm?pn=986-551-223-00-EMY-OEM&gclid=CjwKCAiAis3vBRBdEiwAHXB29Jn2-t1sgLmvpu40t26ArxvHiJo5B-AraSHZJXrnWwp0CrxtdIHMnhoCjnwQAvD_BwE

Best of luck finding what you need!
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
6. IMS bearing – guys, what is this ☹
In many engines, the crankshaft drives the camshafts directly (by gear, belt, or chain). In the M96 and M97 Porsche flat-six cylinder engines, there is an "intermediate" shaft which is driven by the crankshaft. The intermediate shaft then uses timing chains to drive the camshafts.

The intermediate shaft has a bearing on one end which can fail. When the bearing fails, the engine loses timing and the valves can hit the pistons and the engine can be catastrophically damaged.

There is a lot of info on this issue. There is no right or wrong answer. You will have to spend some time to learn about it. You will find some misinformation, a lot of anecdotal statements, even more personal opinions, and a few known facts. Then you'll have to make your own decision as to whether it is something that needs to be replaced or not.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-13-2019 at 09:20 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
In many engines, the crankshaft drives the camshafts directly (by gear, belt, or chain). In the M96 and M97 Porsche flat-six cylinder engines, there is an "intermediate" shaft which is driven by the crankshaft. The intermediate shaft then uses timing chains to drive the camshafts.

The intermediate shaft has a bearing on one end which can fail. When the bearing fails, the engine loses timing and the valves can hit the pistons and the engine can be catastrophically damaged.

There is a lot of info on this issue. There is no right or wrong answer. You will have to spend some time to learn about it. You will find some misinformation, a lot of anecdotal statements, even more personal opinions, and a few known facts. Then you'll have to make your own decision as to whether it is something that needs to be replaced or not.
Excellent description that should make its way into a sticky.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote