986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need help with Chain Adjuster Removal 987 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76785)

RobT987 12-08-2019 12:05 PM

Need help with Chain Adjuster Removal 987

I'm new to this forum and the Boxster community! I recently bought a used 2005 Porsche 987 Boxster S with 92,000 miles. The previous owners have done the maintenance but did not address the IMS bearing issue.

I have decided to preemptively replace the IMS bearing along with a new clutch kit and the process has been fairly straight forward to where I have so far removed the transmission, clutch/pressure plate/flywheel to expose the IMS. I purchased a Single Row Pro IMS Retrofit kit from LN Engineering and according to their instructions I have to remove all 3 timing chain adjusters (tensioners) after locking both the cams on bank 1-3 at TDC. The crankshaft/IMS timing chain adjuster and 1-3 timing chain adjuster are easy to reach but the 4-6 adjuster is not reachable even with the AC compressor removed (see photos).

It seems the M96.26 (MY 05) engine has a very different water guide housing and AC compressor mount that obstructs access to the chain adjuster.

Has anyone had experience removing the 4-6 bank chain adjuster on a '05 987 Boxster? A more fundamental question might be: do I actually need to remove the 4-6 bank chain adjuster to install the new IMS bearing?

Thanks for reading!

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1575838866.jpg

Starter986 12-09-2019 04:22 AM

welcome...

Gilles 12-09-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobT987 (Post 607870)
A more fundamental question might be: do I actually need to remove the 4-6 bank chain adjuster to install the new IMS bearing?

Hello Rob,
I believe that first, you have to lock the cams, and then remove the tensioner before you remove the old IMS.

RobT987 12-09-2019 07:21 AM

Hi Gilles,

You are correct, the 1-3 cyl. bank cams must be locked before removing the tensioners (LN Engineering states that the 1-3 bank lock is sufficient to remove all tensioners and the IMS bearing). I can't figure out how to remove the timing chain tensioner on the 4-6 head. As you can see from the picture I posted, the tensioner is obstructed by what appears to be the lower AC compressor mount and the hydraulic power steering line.

-Rob

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Lerxst88 03-18-2021 04:45 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having this exact same issue.

Any tips on getting at the chain tensioner/removing the AC compressor?

Lerxst88 03-18-2021 06:44 PM

UPDATE: I figured out how to get at that topside chain tensioner!

Disconnect the power steering reservoir, unbolt the ground bolt box housing thing (2x 12mm bolts), and then the trick is to remove the pulley on the power steering pump. If you did it right, the AC compressor will swing forward and to the right to sit on the center console. You will then need a very stubby 5.5mm allen key (I used a Dremel to cut mine down) to remove the power steering bracket bolts. After that, you should have free and clear access to the top side chain tensioner!

RobT987 03-18-2021 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxst88 (Post 632123)
UPDATE: I figured out how to get at that topside chain tensioner!

Great to hear that you figured it out! I ended up having to remove the pressure line from the PS pump and loosening the PS pump mounting bolts so that I could move the hard PS lines that were obstructing the tensioner.

-RobT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk