Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #1

What is this part inside the shift lever assembly?

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, though I have been using it since I got my 986. The other day my shift lever was feeling terrible and I gave it a yank. At that point, I knew I made a mistake. The lever went nearly limp and I was only able to get into 1st gear. Today, I opened up the center console and checked out what was going on inside. I noticed that the clips pictured below had fallen out of place.

I have since been trying to find these online but have failed. Please, if anyone knows what these clips are called and where I can order them, let me know. If you need more information on where it was located I can provide that as well. Thank you.

TheLatter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #2

That is a circlip. Those clips hold the cups in place on aftermarket short shifters. The shifter rides in those cups and that's what allows the shift lever to move side to side in neutral. You may be able to put that one back in, it may need a little bending to get it to hold. You can also probably buy new ones at either an auto parts store or a hardware store. Some of the ones you buy may be a little bigger on the outside, that is ok as long as it fits in the shifter base. The circlip clips on the inside portion. To see where that circlip goes, search for instructions on installing the B&M short shifter at Pelican Parts in their how to articles section, in this forum and elsewhere on internet.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote