Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #1

Alternator problem

My alternator light came on in my 2004 Boxster S. While the car was running I measured 14.5 volts at the battery and when the car was off I measured over 12 volts. The car was running fine. I went ahead and had the alternator rebuilt and the shop refreshed everything and installed a new regulator. I put everything back together and The light still comes on. I'm not sure how to diagnose further. Any suggestions?

dh_berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #2

Garage
DH, have your battery checked, it might not be accepting the charge. I recently went through this and replaced the alternator, but did not change the battery. I got stuck on the freeway because my battery would not take the charge. Depending on the condition of your battery, it might be a good time to replace it.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Don't forget to check the alternator/starter distribution block under the engine cover (next to power steering reservoir).
The nut can loosen and cause this type of issue.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote