Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to MDBoxsterS
Extended Warranties

Is anyone using extended warranties? I have a 2002 Boxster S with 7400 miles on it. Just bought it. The dealer included a 2 year base warranty. Engine and drivetrain..

Anyone know if this base insurance is enough or should I consider one of the $2500 - $3500 warranties for 3 or 4 years and up to 75K or 100K miles? Who is a good insurer? What should I be looking for?

Jimmy

MDBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #2

The warranty on my '03 S expired last month. I purchased a bumper to bumper warranty from Warranty Direct 4yrs/60,000 miles for $1788 with a $200 ded. I also added coverage for the emissions system for an additional $100.
I don't usually buy extended warranties but with all the horror stories around, I thought it best to go with a warranty.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to MDBoxsterS
I agree. My car is pristine and want to ensure that some of the stories I am hearing on here do not come true! Im interested in comparing the details of aftermarket waranties. The one my dealer sold me was for a base warranty. What is NOT covered.
MDBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #4

Bought a 4 year extended warranty from Great Lakes when I bought my 2002 in August. $1800, unlimited miles. The large list of parts covered convinced me, as it is going to be my daily (year round) driver, and I'm certain I'll use the $1800 worth of the parts they listed over the next four years.

Current Condition:
2002 Basalt Black Metallic Boxster

Prior Symptoms:
1984 Guards Red 944
fishage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #5

Due Diligence on Xtnd Warranty

I just got a 99 Viola/tan with 9400 miles. It belonged to a club member, so I know the history.

Right now the best overall coverage appears to be from Warranty Direct. Anyone had actual history with them, or any warranty claim yet?

pBunny
pBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Travis
I also bought an extended warranty, but my question is: has anyone ever been able to use it??

I have heard so many stories about people having issues with these companies trying to get them to pay for things that are supposed to be covered and can not.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I also bought an extended warranty, but my question is: has anyone ever been able to use it??

I have heard so many stories about people having issues with these companies trying to get them to pay for things that are supposed to be covered and can not.

I Recently Bought A 99' Boxster W/ 44k Mi. About 2 Months Ago For $21k And Bought Extended Warranty 4yrs/48k For $2300. Just Last Month I Took My Car For 45k Service And Thay Found 4 Things (worn Cam Shaft Gasket/cover, Airbag Module Chip, Worn Passenger Side Seatbelt & Coolant Reservoir Tank Leaking) The Cost Of Total Repair Is $2100, Warranty Pays $1800, Out Of Pocket Cost $300 (includes Clear Side Marker). That's Not Including The 45k Service Cost ($450)

The best part about it is, I get to drive a brand spanking new 07' Audi S3 2.0 Turbo for a week for free :dance:
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #8

I also just bought a 2002 Boxster S a few weeks ago with just under 20,000-miles on it. The car is like new inside and out, but I decided after a LONG investigation of different extended warranty companies to go with Warranty Direct. They treated me as if I was still under the original Porsche warranty, so I did not have to go through the hassle of taking the car in to a mechanic they specified for a 'baseline check'.

My warranty is a 4-year 'bumper-to-bumper' (or 60,000-miles on the odometer) with the emissions option and cost me about $2,300.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
I Recently Bought A 99' Boxster W/ 44k Mi. About 2 Months Ago For $21k And Bought Extended Warranty 4yrs/48k For $2300. Just Last Month I Took My Car For 45k Service And Thay Found 4 Things (worn Cam Shaft Gasket/cover, Airbag Module Chip, Worn Passenger Side Seatbelt & Coolant Reservoir Tank Leaking) The Cost Of Total Repair Is $2100, Warranty Pays $1800, Out Of Pocket Cost $300 (includes Clear Side Marker). That's Not Including The 45k Service Cost ($450)

The best part about it is, I get to drive a brand spanking new 07' Audi S3 2.0 Turbo for a week for free :dance:
i have been kicking around the idea of an extended warranty also but most of small print indicates they dont cover gaskets and seals unless its for replacing a failed or defective part, another thing that bothers me is they usually dont cover an engine unless it fails due to an internally lubricated part, wich warranty did you get that covered your gaskets and seals?
yfz/700R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:11 PM   #10

the company called "Total Shield". It was offered to me by the dealer where I bought my Boxster and my 2nd toy this afternoon...If you want their number let me know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfz/700R
i have been kicking around the idea of an extended warranty also but most of small print indicates they dont cover gaskets and seals unless its for replacing a failed or defective part, another thing that bothers me is they usually dont cover an engine unless it fails due to an internally lubricated part, wich warranty did you get that covered your gaskets and seals?

Last edited by unklekraker; 10-19-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
the company called "Total Shield". It was offered to me by the dealer where I bought my Boxster and my 2nd toy this afternoon...If you want their number let me know....
yes, that would be great :dance: , wich option did you get to cover the seals & gaskets?
yfz/700R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #12

PM on it's way....
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfz/700R
yes, that would be great :dance: , wich option did you get to cover the seals & gaskets?