Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #1

Door handle works on second lift up

My 2001 986 has a driver's side door handle problem that has slowly gotten worse over the past few months. After it has been locked and unlocked (key or remote), I have to gently 'jiggle' the handle a little bit in order to hear/feel a small 'click' that tells me that a pull up will open the door. Otherwise, the first pull up acts as though the car is still locked (even though the window drops a cm), but it will open on the second pull up.

I am now extra careful to try the jiggle technique first, because the two-pull method is putting extra wear on the window motor as the window moves down even on the first non-opening pull.

Sorry if this is a repeat of a common theme, but I've looked through a lot of 'door latch' issues and none seem to be quite like this. Thanks in advance!

cc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #2

It's designed to be pulled twice to open.
Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #3

Well, my first thought was the regulator was not getting the signal to drop the window but you wrote that is operating normally. When I use my door handle it's a one-pull operation. There is a spring that the door handle uses that can pop out of its housing or, more interestingly, become twisted and not operate and release the door immediately. It's a semi-known issue with Boxster door handles, maybe you've already come across it?
Jasper_Boxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:05 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzuki View Post
It's designed to be pulled twice to open.
That.

When I Lock my doors with the dash button... and before exiting not pushing the button to unlock... two pulls.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If the car is locked via the dash button, two pulls are required to "unlock" the door before it will open. If you already have the car unlocked via the dash button, it should only take one pull.

I wouldn't worry about the window motors. They are going die when they die, I wouldn't inconvenience yourself, mine lasted like 60-70k miles.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #6
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
The man is saying that it requires 2 pulls to open only after locking and unlocking. So, when the car is unlocked it first requires 2 pulls and then you can operate it with 1 pull as long as you don’t lock and unlock again...
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #7

I also think he means from outside not sitting in the car
Blue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the inputs everybody and apologies that I wasn't specific enough with the details.

I am not using the dash button and the issue is the outside door pull on the driver's side.

After being locked (key twist or remote), and then unlocked (key twist or remote), the first pull acts like the car is still locked. When the handle is lowered, I can feel and hear a slight click, like something is getting engaged. The next pull up opens the door.

If the car hasn't been locked, only one pull is needed every time. The passenger door does not suffer from this issue at all, so I'm suspecting a wear/lubrication problem, but I'm not sure yet.

I have yet to try the dash button (I've never used it in practice, only pressed when I bought the car it to see what it would do) to see how it affects the issue.

cc986 is offline   Reply With Quote