Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #1

Re-Installing Climate Control Module

I removed the Climate Control module a few days ago, sent it out for a refurbishing and LCD replacement. Took 5 minutes to remove, piece of cake. So far so good.

So today, I get the rebuilt unit back and I can't re-install it. There are two white plastic brackets that slide onto the side of the unit on a rail with a retainer at the front where the screws screw in to. If you put the brackets on the "rails", you can't maneuver the unit back into the opening, or at least I can't figure out how to do it.

Anyone know the trick here? Keep in mind this is a '04 Boxster which has 4 mounting screws. I think most of the others have 2 mounting screws and install somewhat differently.

Last edited by BoxMann; 10-13-2019 at 10:43 AM.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #2

Hi I had to remove the entire thing install the climactic unit then put the entire mount back in. There is probably a way but after an hour I gave up and took the entire front plate off.
Blue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue99 View Post
Hi I had to remove the entire thing install the climactic unit then put the entire mount back in. There is probably a way but after an hour I gave up and took the entire front plate off.
That seems like a major P.I.T.A. for what should be an extremely simple job. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove it. Why should it take an hour or two to reinstall?

But thank you for your comment.

Anyone know the secret trick for getting that back in?
Old 10-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #4

After some looking, thinking, and looking and thinking, I finally figured this one out.

So, for those of you who find yourself in this predicament, here's how it's done: before putting the module in, attach the brackets to the two bottom mounting screws, then slide the module in on the rails on the brackets, and then screw the module in with the two top mounting holes.

Takes 5 minutes if you know the trick.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #5

And I have to give a Shout Out to Module Master in Idaho. They turned it around in 24 hours and shipped it right back to me. A grand total of 5 days for the round trip. And the Module is better than new, has better, clearer symbols. And they do a lot more than climate control modules.

And I have no connection whatsoever with the company. Just putting in a good word for a company that does a great job.