Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 03:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
Agreed, but I've been narrowing it down to a very select few I enjoy driving, hoping I could find something newer as good or better.

It's down to do I want "race track on street" grip, or more comfort? I fear if I choose comfort, I'll regret NOT getting racetrack feel. Pretty sure I wouldn't regret not getting comfort. Maybe I just answered my question. It's a PERFORMANCE vehicle to me, not a daily driver. See? We just needed to talk about it.
Glad I could help! LOL

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #22
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

My experience....

.....with the Pilot Sport 4s has been awesome. I've driven the car from Savannah to the Grand Canyon on these tires and they are the best tires I have ever owned in my 52 years on this planet.

Just buy them.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #23

I had Pirelli P-zero Neros on my 17 Mustang GT from the factory and got 30,000 miles out of them. Now I have Hankook Ventus V12s on the Mustang. I really liked the Pirellis, they rode ok, and held the Mustang to the ground. I went with the Hankooks because I got a really good deal on them.

The Box has Michelins on on it, They aren't Pilots, but seem to do OK. They were on the car when I got it.

On my 91 R32 GT-R I ran Michelin Pilot Super Sports for autocross, and such. I like them, and they held up to the horsepower and all wheel drive of the R32.

My autocross Miatas I ran Kuhmos, good autocross tire, I would get maybe 2,000 miles out of them tops

Last edited by Qckslvr; 10-11-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #24

anyone here like really, REALLY stiff side walls? If you haven't run them, you don't know the feeling of that. Harder drivers say the Michelins roll a little on side walls... I really don't wan't that. I want GO KART feel of turn speed, zero slop. Comfort be damned!

For example, I just added 10 PSI to my tires for winter in the garage, and driving on them was amazingly better than suggested PSI, the tires were totally stiffer and much better instant feel of turning. That's what I am after.

I fear the Michelins wont compare well to my Falken Azenis RT615
Old 10-13-2019, 04:26 AM   #25
Seal1968

I had a set of General GMax on one of my older Audi A4s...they were good when new, but after 1 season became hard as pucks and noisy. (yes my suspension was good...) Very cheap tires.

I'm running Hancook Ventus on my 2013 ..they are OK, price is really good, but sidewalls are softer than I like. Will run them out and replace.

I ran some Falkens on my 944S, which were decent...good price. The Potenzas that came off her were a really good tire...very sticky.

I think for what you want, likely the Pilot Sports will make you happiest. They are what I'll replace mine with when ready I think.

Oh the choices!
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:52 AM   #26

Just bought my car last week and have not had a chance to really shake her out but it came with Pirelli P-Zero's and I take it they probably started their life with 10 32nd's and they now have 7 32nd's so it will be interesting to see how they wear and I like then after what you are saying about them.

And the sizes are Fronts/225's & Rears are 265's on stock 18" rims.
Side skirts / Bought from original owner
99Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #27
Seal1968

Yup, it seems the stickier and more expensive the shorter life span.

I tell you those Potenzas came off showing the belts in the rear tires and they still hung onto the road...I was impressed.

Maybe I'll look at them again...jeez. lol

Happy Thanksgiving from Canada!
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #28
Racer Boy

I have BFG Ultra High Performance tires for everyday driving (g-Force Sport Comp-2). I also have a set of Hankook Ventus RS4 track tires. I have to say that there is very little difference in street driving between the two tires as far as noise, ride, and handling go. Of course on track, the RS4's are much better, but I usually don't lean on the car that hard on the street; I get that out of my system on the track!

The BFGs are really great in the rain, but I have the feeling that the RS4's wouldn't be so good considering the small void area. Also, where I live (Seattle), the RS4's would be dangerous in the fall and winter because of the lower temps.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post
I had a set of General GMax on one of my older Audi A4s...they were good when new, but after 1 season became hard as pucks and noisy. (yes my suspension was good...) Very cheap tires.

I'm running Hancook Ventus on my 2013 ..they are OK, price is really good, but sidewalls are softer than I like. Will run them out and replace.
If you are running the Hankook Ventus V12 right now, they will end up like the General GMax - great when new, but will end up being hard as pucks and noisy as you've described it.

I've run Dunlop, Continenal, and Michelin on my Porsche and BMWs, and always end up preferring the Michelin tires.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #30
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

When I bought my car and had the tires replaced America's Tire installed a set (4) of Yokahama somethingorother. I've about 7,000 miles on them and, when I took them in for a balance last week... guy told me they look brand new.

I may go with Falkens next time around. I've had them on my Edge and the bims and have never gotten less than 50K on each set. 70K on the last set (Edge). Love me those Falkens.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #31
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

If you want stiff sidewalls.....

.....get the Bridgestone S-02. They are super stiff. They are also on sale at Tire Rack.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #32

I don't think there's a street tire with a stiffer sidewall out there than the Bridgestone RE-71R. They're hard to mount a lot of times the sidewall is so stiff. If you want razor sharp response, I haven't found an equal.

They're so loud is sounds like you have a dying wheel bearing, they're scary in standing water at anything less than full tread, they ride like crap, and they wear super fast. But they're one of the stickier tires you can buy if you can deal with the tradeoffs. Only thing they're not great performers at is track work, they tend to overheat and get out of their happy zone in 30 minute sessions.

I have the PS4S on my daily driver and they're fantastic, very few drawbacks to that tire. It's quiet and rides well, but is very sticky when you need it to be. 99.5% of sporty car people would consider the tire perfect. For competition I pull the Michelin off and pop the Bridgestones on.

FWIW, the RE-71 is too responsive on my 911. I prefer the BFG Rival S on that car. Similar grip level, but a little more bandwidth and slip angle tolerance. Not sure if that translates to a Boxster or not.
SCCA_AX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #33
Track rat

Garage
There are no perfect tires and all are a tradeoff between dry grip, wet grip, temp tolerance, comfort, noise, price, and tread life. Figure out what your priorities are and choose the best fit for your personal needs and driving style.

I am kinda schizo so I need 3 different sets of tires for different applications. My car essentially never sees temps below40F so I don't need an A/S tire.

1. Bridgestone RE71R > AX competition tire that has very high dry grip, some rain capability, and comes into best grip quickly. They are pretty uncomfortable on the street, don't survive a lot of heat well, and wear out very quickly.

2. Nitto NT-01 > DE/TT track days. A similar grip level to the RE71R but hold up much better to the heat of continuous lapping, generally lasting twice as long. Very high dry grip but death traps in standing water. Uncomfortable on the street but ok going to and from events.

3. Hankook RS-4 > A pretty good compromise street/track tire with good dry grip, decent wet grip, stands up to the heat of continuous lapping well, and they last surprisingly long for a 200tw rating. Noise and comfort levels are better than the comp tires above but not as nice as PS4s or Bridgestone S0-4s.

These suit my needs pretty well but heavily favor competition and track days. Completely the wrong tires for a daily driver or casual canyon carver.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:56 AM   #34

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Guys! Thanks for taking the time to post all this great detail. MUCH appreciated! Gives me a bunch of options to consider before spring.

These Falken's are so stiff sides the last place broke two of their mounting tools on them. I warned them first, but I dont think they were expecting it.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:18 AM   #35

It’s virtually impossible to get everything from a brand of tires and every car owner’s needs are different. For summer tires, I look for performance and comfort, that’s I don’t want rubber that howls on the road. I’ve used and enjoyed Michelin brands such as Primacy MaxTouch and Defender LTX for several years and I can vouch for the tires for quietness. The maxtouch construction in the Primacy evenly distributes the pressure ensuring the cornering, acceleration and braking is smooth.
Sarahaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:57 AM   #36
2001 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahaw View Post
It’s virtually impossible to get everything from a brand of tires and every car owner’s needs are different. For summer tires, I look for performance and comfort, that’s I don’t want rubber that howls on the road. I’ve used and enjoyed Michelin brands such as Primacy MaxTouch and Defender LTX for several years and I can vouch for the tires for quietness. The maxtouch construction in the Primacy evenly distributes the pressure ensuring the cornering, acceleration and braking is smooth.
I think you are in the wrong section with your touring tires and SUV tires.
These are not tires for a Porsche Boxster at all.

As with Topless above, for street performance, you cant go wrong with Hankook RS4.
They are at the top of the list for me, unless you get heavy rainfalls and also care about longevity. If so, Michelins 4s is probably my second choice.

Track/DE and AX is another ball game.
SpIcEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #37
2001 Boxster S

Duplicate delete.
SpIcEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:44 AM   #38
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpIcEz View Post
I think you are in the wrong section with your touring tires and SUV tires.
These are not tires for a Porsche Boxster at all.

As with Topless above, for street performance, you cant go wrong with Hankook RS4.
They are at the top of the list for me, unless you get heavy rainfalls and also care about longevity. If so, Michelins 4s is probably my second choice.

Track/DE and AX is another ball game.
I'm a little schizo too.

RS4's wear like iron for a HP tire. They are a little slower than RE71's or NT01's, but unless you are at the top of your class, probably not a big deal.

For the track, I prefer NT01 and street, although I don't think they are available anymore Pilot SuperSports.

I havn't done AX in a while, and IMHO RE-71 is the way to go.

BTW, if you want a low cost pretty high performance street/back road tire, look at the Sumotomo HTR ZIII or the Hankook Ventus V12
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:11 AM   #39

Garage
I have been very happy with my Sumitomo HTR ZIII street tires.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote