986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ROW vs US Spec ECU Flash (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76375)

JustinS 10-08-2019 11:18 AM

ROW vs US Spec ECU Flash

I was trying to come up with a definite list of the Pros vs Cons of a ROW vs US spec ecu tune. This is what I have so far...Anything else? Any power differences?

Pros:
-No secondary O2 monitoring
-No secondary air injection monitoring
-Not required to put the clutch pedal in prior to starting

Cons:
-Only one bank is monitored for cam timing

edc 10-08-2019 01:37 PM

On the facelift cars the rear lambda is monitored and it can trigger the CEL but you can run fine with the CEL on. In any case you can remap them out.

Paul 10-11-2019 06:39 AM

On a 7.8 DME ROW flash, not only isn't the SAI monitored, it is not activated. I suspect ROW cars do not have SAI.

pilot4fn 10-11-2019 09:45 AM

Now this ROW flashing is getting intresting:dance:
I live in Finland and have US spec Boxter Base 986 (2001). What could be the place to get the ROW ECU Flash done? Probably not at the local Porschs dealer... Any ECU programmers or...?

JimmyBad 10-11-2019 10:05 AM

In my experience, you need to obtain the reprogramming codes for your DME (ECU) from your local dealership (which is free if you can get them to do it) or pay a shop that have the needed tools to unlock your DME. Whichever route you go, once done, you can re-flash your DME to the stock ROW tune using most PST and PIWIS tools with the ROW files (or pay a shop with the tools).

edc 10-11-2019 12:57 PM

Certainly no SAI on UK 986.
Funny that in Finland you get a US spec car when most Boxster were made in Valmet.

pilot4fn 10-11-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edc (Post 604877)
Certainly no SAI on UK 986.
Funny that in Finland you get a US spec car when most Boxster were made in Valmet.

This car was originally sold in San Diego... Few years ago it was brought back to home as the owner moved here ;)

JimmyBad 10-12-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot4fn (Post 604893)
This car was originally sold in San Diego... Few years ago it was brought back to home as the owner moved here ;)

Take out the existing DME and buy a used one (they’re not expensive) and ask the dealership to reprogram it for you (ask if they reprogram used DME before hand). If they simply assume that the car is ROW spec without checking, this might work out.

$80 for used DME from eBay (had to buy one) and my dealership charges $200 to reprogram (asked them in the past)

Paul 10-13-2019 08:24 AM

I've reflashed DMEs in less than 15 minutes....The hardest part is entering the codes without a keyboard. I suggest you ask (in person) at your local dealership for the cost to do this.

pilot4fn 10-14-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 604983)
I've reflashed DMEs in less than 15 minutes....The hardest part is entering the codes without a keyboard. I suggest you ask (in person) at your local dealership for the cost to do this.

Fantastc, will do this first. Thanx :cheers: