Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

Trailering a Boxster

I'm planning to sell everything but the Boxster and buy a diesel pusher to travel the country and fish and drive all those wonderful drives. My home on wheels will have a 10,000# hitch, so most any car hauler will be pullable. Looking for experience, suggestions and recommendations anyone may have. Open or enclosed trailer? SIxteen, 18 or 20 feet? Electric or hydraulic brakes? Aluminum or steel? The list goes on and I have no suspicion. Thanks in advance.

2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

Get a 20+ double stack then you can get a Harley or boat or something else in there as well. Lots of cool stuff on utube. For hauling toys. I'm not far behind you
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Much of what you ask is dependent on what you are willing to spend.
How often will you be taking your car?
How much track stuff/spares will you carry?
what is the weather like where you go?

Alluminum is much lighter than steel. Weight = fuel economy
Steel is lower cost

Checkout Rennlist, there are some good sub-forums for what you are asking
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Much of what you ask is dependent on what you are willing to spend.
How often will you be taking your car?
How much track stuff/spares will you carry?
what is the weather like where you go?

Alluminum is much lighter than steel. Weight = fuel economy
Steel is lower cost

Checkout Rennlist, there are some good sub-forums for what you are asking
Thanks, will do.
The car will be my sole form of non MH transportation, so it will go everywhere. We will go from the Keys to Olympia and Chula Vista (one of my high schools) to Bangor, and anyplace interesting in between.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #5

I've had a motorhome (shudder!) and flat hauling with a tow bar is preferable. As low as a Boxster is, it will be a pain to get up on a trailer. I know you want your Box, but I think I'd get rid of it, too. Get something like a 4x4 Jeep or small pickup. Older ones with real 4wd are best, you can shift the transfer case into neutral. If you're running a diesel, you'll have to deal with soot, too. And road debris.

I used to have a Chevy Tracker, it was perfect for towing and it could be set up as a convertible. But finding nice ones that aren't beat down is kinda tough.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #6

If I was selling everything and doing this full time I would consider a Futura Enclosed trailer. If not that a Featherlight or similar aluminum enclosed.
jrj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I've had a motorhome (shudder!) and flat hauling with a tow bar is preferable. As low as a Boxster is, it will be a pain to get up on a trailer. I know you want your Box, but I think I'd get rid of it, too. Get something like a 4x4 Jeep or small pickup. Older ones with real 4wd are best, you can shift the transfer case into neutral. If you're running a diesel, you'll have to deal with soot, too. And road debris.

I used to have a Chevy Tracker, it was perfect for towing and it could be set up as a convertible. But finding nice ones that aren't beat down is kinda tough.
Thanks. I've been pulling an Airstream with a Denali 2500HD for multiple month trips during the past 8 years. So many great roads across the country that are calling for me to visit again, this time in something small and nimble.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
Old 10-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post

I thought about flat towing -- the problem with the Boxster is the transmission -- (and not an easy place to mount the base plates) --

I've resolved the base plate (I think), but not the transmission lube issue yet.

In some vehicles you can run the engine and it will splash oil the tranny with fluid (with a manual I assume it would need to be driven). then its ok for a bit, but you have to start it/drive it every so often.

For the boxster -- I'm not sure if that will work, or if you can put a circulation pump in.

I'd like to do this as I have a Super-C and a Cayman S DE car (and an SPB that I trailer, but I'm trying to avoid the trailering as well as have a TOAD for when I just want to RV for a weekend)

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
I thought about flat towing -- the problem with the Boxster is the transmission -- (and not an easy place to mount the base plates) --

Mike
Reading here and on Rennlist it may be that an enclosed 24' will best suit my needs. Pretty much everything I own will be with me, so the added space for tools and hanging a kayak might be prudent. Sale pending on my Airstream, Denali is next. Still time to continue my search. Thanks.

Do you know Dave Campbell in Austin?
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
Old 10-09-2019, 07:08 AM   #10
On the slippery slope

Garage
I would not recommend flat towing a Boxster. IIRC, it is specificially noted as a no no in the manual
I have 2 track rat buddies that have Futura open trailers and love them. Super easy to load and unload. Really cool to watch the trailer lower itself and them raise back up to drive away.
They are pricey, but very nice.
The only downside I see on the enclosed trailer is security, it is not hard sided, the sides and back zip open

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote