Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Conversion of Base Boxster to Boxster S brakes

Hi.
Installed Boxster S brakes front and rear on my Base 200 Boxster Tiptronic. Had to use rear subframes from S. Everything fits together but ABS light comes on because the sensor gap is off. Would S axles solve the problem? I appreciate any and all input as this is my first Boxster.

timetraveler2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #2

S axles probably would solve it
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Most likely, and/or just put the stock brakes back on the rear. The fronts are doing all the heavy lifting so a bit more heat sink is nice there. The stock rears are pretty amazing to begin with and the benefit of rear S brakes is probably below statistical noise.

Run GT cooling ducts, hi temp brake fluid, add proper racing pads like Porterfield R4 or Raybestos ST-43 and you have pretty incredible stopping power that stands up well to endurance racing.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #4

I agree, with box s front brakes and stock base rears, my car stops well. obviously using track pads.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #5

Conversion to Boxster S Rear Brakes

Thanks for all your help and advice guys. I should have listened to conventional wisdom and not attempted to convert to the rear Boxster S brakes on my base Boxster. Everything is back together and works perfectly except the ABS light comes on because the sensor air gap seems to be too large with my current base/Tiptronic axles. I probably need axles from a 2000 S/Tiptronic to make the ABS work properly. I tried sending a PM to the guy on the forum that sells all the parts but his mailbox seems to be full. Hope he is still in business as the rear subframes I got from him worked perfectly. My 71 year old brain should have anticipated this issue!

BTW Quadcammer, the suspension components that I purchased from you are also installed along with the all new S brake system from Pelican. Need to get things finalized as we are in the middle of a move to a smaller house and it is starting to get cold in Northern Illinois. Not enough warm weather up here to enjoy our Boxster!
timetraveler2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
S axles probably would solve it
S axles have a larger cv joint and won't bolt up to the base tiptronic. I do believe you can switch out the axle stubs between the two though.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #7

I'm not being a smart a s s, but why bother? Sounds like a lot of trouble for little to be gained. Better to just get better components and keep it simple.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:41 AM   #8

The larger hub bearing in the rear S carriers last a lot longer than the smaller bearing of the base. Everyone who races a boxster in WRL has upgraded to the larger S hubs for that reason. I would try David to see if he might have some S tip axles as I only have base axles right now
Old 10-13-2019, 04:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I'm not being a smart a s s, but why bother? Sounds like a lot of trouble for little to be gained. Better to just get better components and keep it simple.
I'm with you Brian on this as long as he isn't racing it why go to all the extra trouble and expense....I myself would just buy the best components knowing they would all fit and be better than the stock components and be happy with that.

But having said that I know we are all different so Timetraveler I hope it all works out for you.

Side skirts / Bought from original owner
99Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote