986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drain all the coolant again?! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76325)

cc986 10-01-2019 09:27 AM

Drain all the coolant again?!

My 2001 Boxster S had its engine replaced with a used engine from eBay 10,200 miles ago (17 months) at which time the coolant was entirely drained and replaced.

However, I'm hearing the water pump beginning to fail and every thing I read about it says that all the coolant must be drained when the water pump is replaced. I'm wondering, though, in this case, if it would be okay to not do that since the miles and time on the coolant is relatively low.

What are your thoughts?

piper6909 10-01-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc986 (Post 604275)
My 2001 Boxster S had its engine replaced with a used engine from eBay 10,200 miles ago (17 months) at which time the coolant was entirely drained and replaced.

However, I'm hearing the water pump beginning to fail and every thing I read about it says that all the coolant must be drained when the water pump is replaced. I'm wondering, though, in this case, if it would be okay to not do that since the miles and time on the coolant is relatively low.

What are your thoughts?

I believe you're safe not to flush the coolant if the vanes of the old WP are intact. I don't see any other reason why you would need to, given that the existing coolant is so new.

Quadcammer 10-01-2019 09:37 AM

to get the pump out, just about all the coolant will drain anyway. You may be able to keep about 2 gallons out of 6 in the car, especially with the ass end up.

Paul 10-01-2019 10:24 AM

Just drain it into a clean bucket and reuse.

cc986 10-01-2019 12:19 PM

Thanks, piper6909, that makes sense -- we don't want any plastic bits floating around in the pipes. I'm hoping my WP is not that far gone... I've only been hearing the 'diesel' sound (described on another thread here) and when I remove tension on the serpentine belt, I can easily make the WP pulley wobble. No obvious leaks and no issues with cooling.

cc986 10-01-2019 12:21 PM

Thanks, Quadcammer -- I figured that might happen, which is ok if I don't need to drain everything, especially the radiators.

cc986 10-01-2019 12:22 PM

Thanks, Paul. I'll consider this if I can find a clean enough bucket and I don't introduce any crud from the outside of the hoses, etc.

Stl-986 10-01-2019 02:14 PM

Put a trash bag in the bucket, drain into the bag. Now you dont have to clean the bucket or worry. I keep a box of white trash bags in the garage for this reason, several jugs of empty coolant and a funnel just for coolant. Take your time filling the jugs and you shouldn't lose a drop.

Geof3 10-01-2019 10:03 PM

Yeah, I just lifted mine up high enough to get a 5 gal coolant container under mine and reused the coolant, it had just been flushed and redone a few hundred miles prior (of course). My impeller was fine, so no big deal.

Brian Minson 10-02-2019 10:19 AM

I would try and save what you can and reuse it with the new water pump.

Brian :)

cc986 10-03-2019 08:49 AM

Thank you all for your input, my stress levels are definitely coming down. :)

cc986 10-03-2019 08:57 AM

What kind of coolant should I use to top it off?

I guess the last question on this is, if I have to top it off, what kind of coolant should I use? The work order for the engine replacement listed "2 gallons of Pink G40".

I found a nearby NAPA parts store that sells "Zerex G-40 Euro Pink Antifreeze", so I think I'll go with that for any needed top-off.

Stl-986 10-03-2019 05:18 PM

what is in there now? If it's green, top with green, if pink, top with pink

Geof3 10-03-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stl-986 (Post 604440)
what is in there now? If it's green, top with green, if pink, top with pink

It’s not quite that easy. Your best bet, if you don’t know what the coolant is, is to go ahead bite the bullet, fully drain, then flush and put the Porsche stuff in. Coolant is just a pain in the ass these days with all the colors, moat, boat, oat, whatever. If you mix the wrong kinds you can wind up with a real mess inside your engine. The Porsche stuff is “pinkish” and I’m pretty sure it is a long life coolant. (Not) It comes undiluted in gallons and is only slightly more expensive than other quality coolants.

cc986 10-08-2019 11:48 AM

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions... I've driven a couple of times to work and back with the new water pump and thermostat, and -- knock on wood -- things seem to be going alright.

I did end up just collecting and reusing the drained coolant. I did filter it through a cloth, even though there were only a few particles of debris (most likely from the loosening of the hose clamps). I was able to use my torque wrench on 5 of the 7 water pump bolts, and 1 of 4 thermostat bolts. The rest were tightened by feel. Does anyone else do this, or is there a super small version of a torque wrench that can fit into and around the water pump?

Overall, I lost about a pint of coolant, which I replaced with distilled water. The whole engine sounds remarkably better with the new pump.

Thanks again!

piper6909 10-08-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc986 (Post 604676)
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions... I've driven a couple of times to work and back with the new water pump and thermostat, and -- knock on wood -- things seem to be going alright.

I did end up just collecting and reusing the drained coolant. I did filter it through a cloth, even though there were only a few particles of debris (most likely from the loosening of the hose clamps). I was able to use my torque wrench on 5 of the 7 water pump bolts, and 1 of 4 thermostat bolts. The rest were tightened by feel. Does anyone else do this, or is there a super small version of a torque wrench that can fit into and around the water pump?

Overall, I lost about a pint of coolant, which I replaced with distilled water. The whole engine sounds remarkably better with the new pump.

Thanks again!

:cheers: Awsome!

Starter986 10-08-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc986 (Post 604676)

Thanks again!

Tightening by feel, if you've a handle on it (figuratively speaking) should be fine. Keep an eye out for leaks for a few miles. I was in the same position, literally, and by feel tightened all my bolts. I didn't have confidence in the small torque wrench I had, and wasn't prepared to drop the quid for confidence.

You should be fine.

piper6909 10-08-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 604684)
Tightening by feel, if you've a handle on it (figuratively speaking) should be fine. Keep an eye out for leaks for a few miles. I was in the same position, literally, and by feel tightened all my bolts. I didn't have confidence in the small torque wrench I had, and wasn't prepared to drop the quid for confidence.

You should be fine.

"Quid"? Are you a Brit bloke? :D:D