Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

Garage
Throttle cable

What is the secret protocol to remove the throttle cable from the throttle body on a '99? I thought the AOS was "fun" but this is silly. It appears to be a simple pinch connector, but I can't seem to get it to budge, and heaven knows I don't want to break ($$$) it! I've searched this and other forums and see nothing. The Haynes book is useless, and the 101 book doesn't help either.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Is your car not egas?
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #3

Garage
No. 2000 on.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

Garage
Just twist the part where the cable is attached to relieve the spring tension and slip the end out of the groove. Installation is the reverse. Keep an eye out for the small vacuum tube that exits the TB to the SAI one-way valve. I missed it after removing the TB to clean it, and got a CEL.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74317-sai-question.html#post587059
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
Vza

Tricky ....be careful.....I can tell you what I did after breaking mine!! Can't really twist it cause its in a square hole(oxymoron I know) I tried pinching the 2 tabs (upper and lower)to get it out but the lower tab snapped. When replacing it I fished a zip tie under the intact tab(top in my case) and snaked it around where I broke off the bottom tab and zipped it, seemed pretty stable. Good Luck V
Vza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Just twist the part where the cable is attached to relieve the spring tension and slip the end out of the groove. Installation is the reverse. Keep an eye out for the small vacuum tube that exits the TB to the SAI one-way valve. I missed it after removing the TB to clean it, and got a CEL.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74317-sai-question.html#post587059
That's the easy part. I'm familiar with that. It's the mount to the throttle body that is the concern.
Thanks.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
Vza

If you're talking about the ball at the end of the cable....open the butterfly with your finger which releaves the spring tension on the cable and the twist the ball end out of the holder.....thats the east part....lol. OR if your talking about getting the TB out.... there is a bolt directly underneath thats attached to the crankcase that holds the TB in place.
Vza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #8

no he's talking about the plastic tab that holes the cable sheath into the tb. Its a simple pinch clamp, but getting it to go through is damn near impossible. Mine is broken, but it stays in place just fine. worst case, one side of the tabs will break and it should be easy to remove at that point.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Yes... the plastic tab... the cable sheath...

Takes me ~15 minutes of patient finaggling. I insert a flathead screwdriver underneath the lower tab, pressing up while with another flathead screwdriver pressing down on the top tap simultaneously working the part up and down while trying to press it out without breaking it. Works.

I'm going to take an ibuprofen just for typing that.