Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
Vza

Lug/Stud Problem

Well.... I painted some lugs and when replacing one my awful torque wrench from Harbor Freight didn't click(not the 1st time)....first off Im returning 2 of them on Monday. The lug/stud is just spinning and I can't back it out. Any tips as to how to get it out? Thanks V

Vza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #2

Not a fan of HF torque wrenches but me thinks this is not issue w/ wrench(es).

So, are they lugs on studs or wheel bolts?

If wheel bolts, try over-tightening the other 4 to relieve pressure on this one and try backing out then.

If lugs on studs try loosening other 4 and try prying out on wheel to create pressure bringing spinning stud into hub further to hopefully keep from spinning so lug nut spins off.

If track studs, either just grab onto stud w/ vice grips and spin out or weld a nut onto nose and break loose.

Finally, you can use a cold chisel to split head of wheel bolt (or lug). Then after removing the other 4 and wheel, extract remaining stud from hub w/ a pair of vice grips. (or hub and then stud from back if somehow using that style set up...).

Good luck
Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
Vza

Thanks ....I got it out....removed the other 4 lug studs pressed down on wheel with my feet and wedged a pry bar between rim and hub ...zipped it out with impact hammer. Then....I realized the previous owner in stalled 7mm spacers and didn't upgrade with longer studs so the short studs were just about catching the hub. I re tapped the one bore in the hub to clean it up and removed the spacers and got 96 ft lbs of torque on all lugs. So easily overlooked but could have been catastrophic ....went to an autocross last week without knowing....ouch
Vza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vza View Post
Thanks ....I got it out....removed the other 4 lug studs pressed down on wheel with my feet and wedged a pry bar between rim and hub ...zipped it out with impact hammer. Then....I realized the previous owner in stalled 7mm spacers and didn't upgrade with longer studs so the short studs were just about catching the hub. I re tapped the one bore in the hub to clean it up and removed the spacers and got 96 ft lbs of torque on all lugs. So easily overlooked but could have been catastrophic ....went to an autocross last week without knowing....ouch
Wow! Just the thought of what could have happened is very scary. What was the guy thinking!? Consider yourself very lucky.

But now you have 7mm of thread that's actually biting on that one lug. I don't think that's enough, especially if you autocross it. Maybe the other 4 can hold, but do you want to chance it?

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote