986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   stripped oil drain treads !!!help (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76295)

jaimster 09-27-2019 04:54 PM

stripped oil drain treads !!!help

hey guys Im a newbie here,
I just purchased a 2001 boxster I was doing the oil change it felt as the plug was overtighten wen I was removing it , able to remove it however now not able to tighten down the plug
it seem loose . even tried a magnetic plug form LN engineering still loose not able to tighten down keeps leaking oil any ideas greatly appreciate it ?

JimmyBad 09-27-2019 05:10 PM

Buy a new oil pan and swap it. Best advice I can give you.

Starter986 09-27-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaimster (Post 603993)
I just purchased a 2001 boxster I was doing the oil change it felt as the plug was overtighten wen I was removing it , able to remove it however now not able to tighten down the plug
it seem loose . even tried a magnetic plug form LN engineering still loose not able to tighten down keeps leaking oil any ideas greatly appreciate it ?

Go to an auto parts store... explain the problem... they'll have a product to fix that error. l Bet you under $15.

If that doesn't work... different pan.

jaimster 09-27-2019 05:41 PM

thanks starter086 didn't think of that ! ill call an autoparts store.

blue62 09-27-2019 06:00 PM

try some Teflon plumbers tape on the drain plug see if that works.
If that doesn't work JB weld the drain hole and re tap it.

particlewave 09-27-2019 06:31 PM

It’s a lot easier and safer to just replace the sump plate, guys.

Think about it: would you want a repair to fail on the road, dropping your oil plug?
By the time you realize it, the engine is toast. ;)

Snag a used one from here or eBay if new cost is too high for you: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Pan-Fits-97-04-06-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-341420/333009416776?

maytag 09-27-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Are you using a crush washer on it?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

dghii 09-27-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 604008)
Are you using a crush washer on it?

I also wondered this...
And once you get a crush washer, don't 'gorilla' tighten the plug.

rick3000 09-28-2019 01:57 AM

Torque for the oil plug is 37 ft/lbs, or 50nM, which is barely more than hand tight.
And if you have to loosen the plug for any reason, replace the crush washer.

Quadcammer 09-28-2019 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 604018)
Torque for the oil plug is 37 ft/lbs, or 50nM, which is barely more than hand tight.
And if you have to loosen the plug for any reason, replace the crush washer.

37ft lbs is a lot more than hand tight. Hand tight is about 10ft lbs

jaimster 09-28-2019 05:18 AM

guys I m not able to tighten the plug at all it feels as the treads are loose always !!.

has any body ever heard of ECO plug ? if so what are your thoughts on it
as far as getting a used sump plate I could - last resource new gaskets kits too its adding up...

work done or process of getting it : replaced spark plugs , all filters including fuel filter and big One process of replacing the top !!
rear window was messed up it is a job to say the least !

rick3000 09-28-2019 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 604021)
37ft lbs is a lot more than hand tight. Hand tight is about 10ft lbs

You're right, I was confusing the plug with the oil filter.

To respond to OP's original question, jaimster, I would seriously consider replacing the sump plate, the second best solution in my opinion would be to re-tap the drain opening for a larger plug, in both cases you probably have to remove the plate, so replacing it makes the most sense to me. I would avoid more temporary solutions. You don't want a leaking/loose plug that could allow you to lose all of your oil and destroy the engine. I haven't heard of the ECO plug, but I think this is one of those issues you will have to deal with properly eventually.

Brian in Tucson 09-28-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Just get another pan. I replaced my engine (also an 01) a couple of years ago. Didn't think of harvesting the old one (:(), if I had one, I'd give it to you. Bet there's lots of us with old engines that would (I recycled mine.) Maybe I'll start a list of stuff to harvest from old engines.

Always use a new crush washer, btw. Amazon sells aluminum or brass ones for pretty cheap. You buy 10. 1 to use, 9 to lose.

maytag 09-28-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 604028)
Always use a new crush washer, btw. Amazon sells aluminum or brass ones for pretty cheap. You buy 10. 1 to use, 9 to lose.

Hahaha, ain't THAT the truth!

Brian, start that list, 'cuz I've got a motor here I need to break down.

To the OP:
Dood, do it right.
If you've got a week or so to wait on me, I'll send you one for free. I'l even include half a tube of that nitrile crap that LN sends with their kits. (There is no gasket, this stuff IS thr gasket. 1/2 tube should be plenty for you, because 1/2 a tube is what I used. Hence, 1/2 tube left over, Haha)

BYprodriver 09-28-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaimster (Post 604023)
guys I m not able to tighten the plug at all it feels as the treads are loose always !!.

has any body ever heard of ECO plug ? if so what are your thoughts on it
as far as getting a used sump plate I could - last resource new gaskets kits too its adding up...

work done or process of getting it : replaced spark plugs , all filters including fuel filter and big One process of replacing the top !!
rear window was messed up it is a job to say the least !

The good news is when you buy a Boxster one of the 1st things you should do is remove the sump plate to see what is in there. You should buy a LN magnetic drain plug for it to. I have a extra sump plate for sale too.

jaimster 09-28-2019 10:29 AM

you guys are right ! BYprodriver u said u have one for sale 1 how much do you want for it and will it work for 1 2.7

maytag 09-28-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaimster (Post 604043)
you guys are right ! BYprodriver u said u have one for sale 1 how much do you want for it and will it work for 1 2.7

What the...... have I pissed everyone here off so much that you'd rather BUY one from BYP, than accept a FREE one WITH ADHESIVE, from me?

Pffft..... maybe I'll just take my ball and go home then! Haha

Whatev'..... ?

BYprodriver 09-28-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 604031)
The good news is when you buy a Boxster one of the 1st things you should do is remove the sump plate to see what is in there. You should buy a LN magnetic drain plug for it to. I have a extra sump plate for sale too.

$60 shipped to TX, it's clean ready to install it will fit a 2.7

outsidetheboxster 09-28-2019 03:16 PM

Maybe I'll start a list of stuff to harvest from old engines.

Please do! I have a take-out garbage 2001 3.2 with lots of what I feel are re-usable parts. Would love to re-purpose rather than throw away/recycle them. I do need to keep a few things for the transplant LS engine such as coolant temperature, compartment temperature sensor, etc. Let me know what you need folks and I'll see what I can do. Small payment would be appreciated but a list of the desirable parts would be awesome! Would love to help someone out if we can make it work.

rexcramer 09-28-2019 03:26 PM

Don't over seal the pan when you put it back on. IIRC, it is supposed to be a very thin line of sealant 2MM? Too much ends up in the pan and eventually clogging things up.