Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2019, 03:46 AM   #1

To spray or not to spray... that is the question

Hi Chaps
I need advice as I can make my mind up wether to have my beloved SY 2000 S fully externally repainted or am I being too critical of a 19 year old car.

Before I start l must explain that I paid £5100 for the car 4 years ago and in that time have put 12,000 miles on her, she been nothing but 100% reliable and a joy to drive and to look at so in my mind even if I pushed it into a lake tomorrow financially the car owes me nothing.

The car is pretty much immaculate.... so why am I tempted to have her externally repainted? After slight scuffing the side last month I had her repaired and the tiny blister under the vent cut out and plated (common fault on uk Boxster due to the water trap behind the vent). Although the body shop tightly sprayed the base coat yellow they cleared the whole panel as is the norm but again the door and boot wide it looks more yellow due to the Original Speed Yellow fading.The back bumper too is a bit yellower as I had that sprayed 2 years ago due to a bit of lacquer peel.

The only real solution is to repaint the whole car. Commercially im not bothered that I could be looking at £3000 for a quality job, I know Ill never see that money back or increase the cars value any but as Im never selling this car none of the seems to matter

Should I live with it or have it done.

Attached Images

YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:48 AM   #2

this is her as she is now

Old 09-20-2019, 03:50 AM   #3

Old 09-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Sounds like a poor job if they didn't match or blend the panel.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

Garage
You have a beautiful Boxster. It seems to be your pride and joy, something you take great care of. This is not your daily driver but something you enjoy driving on occasion. I get it. I have two Porsches, one I drive every day and the other one is my Garage Queen. The daily driver does not get the attention that the Garage Queen enjoys. I have put a lot of money into the Garage Queen, way more than I will ever recoup. It has not been resprayed but when the time comes, many road chips on the front bumper and Frunk Lid, I won’t hesitate to open the wallet. So to answer your question… Personally would get it painted.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
You have a beautiful Boxster. It seems to be your pride and joy, something you take great care of. This is not your daily driver but something you enjoy driving on occasion. I get it. I have two Porsches, one I drive every day and the other one is my Garage Queen. The daily driver does not get the attention that the Garage Queen enjoys. I have put a lot of money into the Garage Queen, way more than I will ever recoup. It has not been resprayed but when the time comes, many road chips on the front bumper and Frunk Lid, I won’t hesitate to open the wallet. So to answer your question… Personally would get it painted.
Thanks for your kind words, this is my daily driver and it even lives outside.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
Sounds like a poor job if they didn't match or blend the panel.
They did blend the base coat and you cannot see where the fix was but the clear has made made the yellow fresher looking against the door.

The problem is you have new paint next to 20 year old faded paint.

Seems like the higher up the car the more the paint has faded. When i had the cill painted due to a small dent its matched all the way along as the car hasn't faded that low down
Old 09-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowS2000 View Post
Thanks for your kind words, this is my daily driver and it even lives outside.
I have a speed yellow 2000 S also, it hides dirt well. I would not improve the paint so that you can drive the car anywhere, anytime,& anyway you want without worrying about rock chips & parking outside in England.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

You love the car. It's in great shape otherwise. It's a garage queen. If you've got the quid... Yes. Get it painted.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:58 AM   #10

Why do you post such huge images? Can't quite find the time to navigate your pictures, and it's a (royal) pain in the butt to try to reply.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:28 AM   #11

Garage
Live with it; gives it character
Old 09-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Why do you post such huge images? Can't quite find the time to navigate your pictures, and it's a (royal) pain in the butt to try to reply.
Nothing about my size 7 font?

I tried size 99, but, that didn't work.