986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question on top (color) and Porsche Crest... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7614)

Spy4cia 10-02-2006 03:12 PM

Question on top (color) and Porsche Crest...

I'm finalizing my order for my 2007 Boxster S, and have two questions for you all.

Going to get Meteor Grey, and Tarracotta leather.

Shall I got a COCOA soft top, or BLACK??? I'm worried about fading, etc. with the COCOA top, but this car will be driven only 3 days a week, and it will be garaged at night.

Also, since I cannot get the Porsche Crest on the Storage Box, since I'm getting the BOSE upgrade, should I get the Crest embossed on the headrests? I'm worried about it lasting, as I live in a humind area (Monterey, CA) and will keep the car at least 10 years.

On one final note, shall I get the Instrument Dials in Carrara White or keep the standard color???

And what about the model designation on the back? I think I want to remove it, for ease of polishing/maintaining the paint. What say you all???

Thanks very much for all your great input in the past. I've dramatically changed what I'm going to be ordering because of great input and advice from so many people on this board!!!

Can't wait to be part of the "Porsche Family"!

Michael

Marc Gelefsky 10-02-2006 03:29 PM

I'd go black on the top for sure, but thats me.. colors are a personal choice.

Ronzi 10-02-2006 03:38 PM

Congrats on your new BoxS. I'll bet you can't wait to get it. The 18-Mile Drive in a Boxster with the top down has to be one of the best things ever.

Not a big fan of the brown tops, they seem to show fold marks more than the black top, plus they get dirty. Black gets dirty, too, but it doesn's show as much.

White instruments are a Big Deal right now, but in 5 years maybe not so much. It is a style thing, and what is in-style today is out-of-style tomorrow. Black instruments never seem to go out of style.

Can't advise you on the crest on the headrests at least on the durability. Maybe others can. I think they're kind of neat looking on the headrests, but you can go overboard on the crest thing.

Pick'em on the logo on the trunk. It's a cheap plastic piece of junk, and you will probably rip the tail off the "B" at least once. But they're cheap to replace, too. About $20 for "Boxster", and probably a little more for the S version.

bmussatti 10-02-2006 04:12 PM

Spy,

1) The Cocoa top will look great with your exterior color. In fact, the 550 Anniversary Car was a similar set-up. It was GT Silver Metallic and a Cocoa top. I think a Stone Grey top would also look great with your color choices. Using Ragg Topp within the first few days, after delivery, will serve you well too.

2) Why can't you get the Porsche logo on the center console storage lid? I have Bose and I have the logo too. Are you sure? It is option code CPT ($290) on page 15 of the 2007 order guide.

3) I did the model delete, and love it. Very clean look. I know it is a 987S...and that's all that matters to me. I don't care what other people think. In fact, I think it adds to the "mystery" of the car!

4) I don't think you need the Carrara White Dials. The "S" dials are pretty white as is.

Call me tomorrow!

5)

Perfectlap 10-02-2006 04:25 PM

All Porsches should have rear and front badges. It's blashpemous to do otherwise.

With a dark grey car I think silver dials would look better than white.

Skip the embossed headrests I have them on my GT3 seats and its like logo overkill: Wheel caps, steering wheel, hood, rear trunk, center console, license plate....

I've actually considered selling my Boxster for a 550 edition '04 at some point.
Cocoa top might be nice but only if you had the cocoa interior to match.
Terracotta is a very bright color I think it would clash with a brown top

Spy4cia 10-02-2006 04:40 PM

What about my dropping the White Dials & Headrest Crest...

And getting the Sycamore Wood Package ($890) which includes: "trip strip wswitch panel incl. cupholder trim, five part gear lever or Triptronic slector, handbreak lever" to break up the Terracotta leather colors inside???

Thanks!

Spy4cia 10-02-2006 04:41 PM

OK...and I'm dying to know...

Why the Boxster is "The Driver's Porsche"...

Thanks for enlightening me!

bmussatti 10-02-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy4cia
And getting the Sycamore Wood Package ($890) which includes: "trip strip wswitch panel incl. cupholder trim, five part gear lever or Triptronic slector, handbreak lever" to break up the Terracotta leather colors inside???

Thanks!

I have the Sycamore Wood Package, and LOVE it. It looks great with the Sand Beige leather. Just the right amount of wood. Not over done. The wood center console and door closure thing gets too over done IMHO.

I don't know how it would look with your leather choice though.

Here is how the Sycamore looks, this is not my car though:

bmussatti 10-02-2006 05:22 PM

Here is another photo:

z12358 10-02-2006 06:11 PM

Spy,

If you insist on Terracotta inside, then definitely Black top. You better see the Terracotta in person, though. It's much redder than on some photos. Cinnamon may be a better brown option for which a Cocoa top may work nicely.

Forget extra crests anywhere. I think we're sometimes overdoing things just because we have them as options. ADDING a crest as an option. DELETING the sign from the back, again as an option. Sometimes less (choosing, options) is more.

Carrara White dials makes no sense. You already have white dials standard.

Forget extra wood inside. Just doesn't go with the gunmetal hues throughout the cabin. Too busy. Personally, I think the Black interior looks the best with those metalic hues and the white dials. I'm not a designer, but IMHO, the brown and especially the standard beige interriors don't go with the metalic motives inside. For the browns, wood (and no metalic hues) would work perfectly. Example: BMW with their Aluminim or Wood interior options. It's either one, or the other -- not both at the same time. Since Porsche doesn't allow for full ellimination of the metallic motive, and the browns only go with wood, the Black leather pretty much remained as the only way to go for me -- and I love it. If the interrior wood motives came standard with it, I would have paid extra for the option to get rid of them ("delete wood" option :) ).

As we said before... These are all very personal choices and feelings. You will be the one living with them for the next 10 years, so just pick what YOU like better.

Spy4cia 10-02-2006 06:24 PM

I saw the Terracotta in two different vehicles...

...and like it a lot.

Looks like I'll be dropping the white dials!!!!

Michael

z12358 10-02-2006 06:30 PM

"I saw the Terracotta in two different vehicles...
...and like it a lot."

Great. That simplifies things then. Black top. I haven't seen this combo (meteor gray/terracotta/black) but I have a feeling it will look great.

Rome 10-02-2006 06:41 PM

Congrats! I just placed my order for an '07 987 S on Saturday. Also in meteor, but with a black interior.

You can see how I spec'd it here:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7604&referrerid=6330

I did see a terracotta and seal, which should look similar to meteror, but it was a coupe. The meteor looks blue-ish in the pics I have seen. Very close to Seal. So, I think I would opt for a metropol top-- I think it will be a little more subtle and blend better. Cocoa just clashes IMO and black and terra I think will look mismatched.

Terra is nice, but I like it better on a coupe. Though it will look sharp when brand new, givenhow long you plan to keep the car, it's pretty expensive and unforgiving color to be exposed to the elements IMO for all those years.